E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 361 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #1861
opey

My Ride: 04 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsingl View Post
Found this thread by accident searching for something else. not going to read all 90+ pages, but if y'all want to get this unit rooted, and have somebody fix almost anything, the way to do that is via the xda developers forum. I've started a post there in the Android development section as a search found nothing for Dynavin. They love new stuff, build some of the ROMs, and fix all sorts of things, like the GPS zulu clock time a few posts up. <--- This one sounds like an EASY fix to those guys. I don't spend a lot of time on there, a lot of it is too deep if you're not a coder. But hopefully I've gotten the ball started there. These guys are heavy hitters. Please, do NOT go there and do a lot of posts. It is a relatively disciplined place. You can go to Androidcentral or Android forums and such for gobs of general info about Android.

I'm looking forward to doing this, hope the steering wheel buttons can be integrated if they're not already.

ADS
i made a post there a while back and got no replies

IR/IR 6 speed
opey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #1862
Dictato

My Ride: 318d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzyBoy973 View Post
I don't know about the remote issue, but you need and 4x100rms amp for those speakers.
What I thought that you would get distortion only when your speakers can't handle the power or if an amp delivers more than its output (clipping). Now the situation is that my speakers aren't over their limit, because the internal amp can't reach half of the speakers limit (100 rms) on paper. So what remains is the internal amp from the Dynavin being crapy I think. To me the android side provides better sound.
Dictato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #1863
PheonixE46

My Ride: 01 BMW M3
The android side uses the same amp as the radio side. Most everyone agrees that the android side sounds better.

This most likely has to do with it being a digital conversion. Meaning radio is an anolig signal converted to digital to be procesed. The DVD player offers nice sound.

No deck has great internal amps period. Some better than others but all people seeking great sound use external amps.

But my car has an external amp right? Yes, however the dynavin is built to work with both European (non amped stock) and American (stock comes with amp).

What this means is that the signal being sent to the amp in our car is MUCH stronger tha. The one supplied by the stock business class unit. To get around this use the pre outs on the deck to an aftermarket amp and enjoy. Really your are going to have this problem with any pre-amp deck to stock amp setup. This is just how it is.
PheonixE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #1864
Dictato

My Ride: 318d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheonixE46 View Post
The android side uses the same amp as the radio side. Most everyone agrees that the android side sounds better.

This most likely has to do with it being a digital conversion. Meaning radio is an anolig signal converted to digital to be procesed. The DVD player offers nice sound.

No deck has great internal amps period. Some better than others but all people seeking great sound use external amps.

But my car has an external amp right? Yes, however the dynavin is built to work with both European (non amped stock) and American (stock comes with amp).

What this means is that the signal being sent to the amp in our car is MUCH stronger tha. The one supplied by the stock business class unit. To get around this use the pre outs on the deck to an aftermarket amp and enjoy. Really your are going to have this problem with any pre-amp deck to stock amp setup. This is just how it is.
Thanks for the clearifications. Indeed we don't have stock amps in Europe. I guess I need an amp then for better sound. Plus I have to route wires to all the speakers again or using the stockharness is good enough?
Dictato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #1865
JerzyBoy973

My Ride: 01 330ci
Quote:

Exactly. Distortion on AM/FM is usually greater than digital sources on any given head unit.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #1866
PheonixE46

Running new wires to the speaker locations is the correct way of doing things. Besides if you sell the car, and you leave the stock harness and wires alone, switching back is as easy as plugging the harness back together and taking the amp with you.Bsplicing into stock harness is considered "ghetto rigging things"
Old 08-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #1867
PheonixE46

Force Close rears its ugly ahead today. This is the second time for me (running unit since May). Luckily I left the 2GB card setup for this occasion so it was painless. This disproves my theory about it at all being related to the SD card(most had people had already), because for the last two months (since last FC issue) I have not had a SD in the unit. Also I only had Pandora installed to ensure it wasn't any apps.

I was trouble shooting the climate control unit which had crapped out, I was power cycling the car (connecting and disconnecting the wiring harness to the HVAC controller) and turning the car on and off. I wasn't paying attention to the deck while doing this. soooo.... The Android board wasn't completing its boot up cycle completely, before being turned off. This happened about 5 times.

When I was done I went to drive home and BAMM. FC on every app (which was a pain since I needed the NAV to get home) Go-Go Iphone :>

Anyone wanna try this at home and see if it FC's on em? I tried it right after reflashing the unit and it didn't FC on me, I will try again tomorrow after I get all the setting programs loaded back to my daily setup. It sure would be nice to figure out a way to reproduce this fault.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #1868
ketchup

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
This disproves my theory about it at all being related to the SD card..........Also I only had Pandora installed to ensure it wasn't any apps.
Pandora is an app and doesn't it require Internet connection to it's music servers to run?

As for replicating the FC, couldn't one just install app after app after app until the system began FC-ing?
ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #1869
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post

As for replicating the FC, couldn't one just install app after app after app until the system began FC-ing?
You would think, but the problem is that contrary to the way this thread makes it seem, the FC issue is for the most part rare..... It seems to be months between occurrences for most users, so it makes recreating the issue at will pretty much impossible.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 08-30-2011 at 10:58 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:10 AM   #1870
PheonixE46

Jeff is right, the FC issue is not that common.

Not to mention he would know better than anyone as he has a business based around this. We only see the forums, but he receives the emails and phone calls for generally all support related stateside.

I do feel that the unit was reading or writing one of times I restarted, which caused the FC. The iPhone was there and tethering was enabled. So the deck may have jumped online and begun an update or something.

Last edited by PheonixE46; 08-31-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-31-2011, 03:19 AM   #1871
ketchup

Quote:
Jeff is right, the FC issue is not that common.
Check my poll stats to see how common it is among the units of those that have participated.

From what I've read, it can take months before starting up for the first time. Most members received their units in May and the FC's popped up in June.

Last edited by ketchup; 08-31-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #1872
J&T Distributing

Let me clarify a bit, I think most users will see a force close at some point but it is mostly a LONG time between occurrences. I am leaning heavily toward it being caused by interrupting an automatic app update/install so I may see if I can devise a way to do that at will and see if I can force it to happen.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 08-31-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 AM   #1873
Cranberry_Juices

My Ride: 2001 325cic
Interesting
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #1874
ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
I am leaning heavily toward it being caused by interrupting an automatic app update/install so I may see if I can devise a way to do that at will and see if I can force it to happen.
You can choose to manually update an app (or all apps) and during that, pull the wifi out from under it (turn off the hotspot).
Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #1875
J&T Distributing

yes that was my intention....

Old 08-31-2011, 03:40 PM   #1876
PheonixE46

I am / was under the impression that the software can deal with the wifi being pulled out from underneath it. it just writes it in a failure and restores the old stuff. But when it gets powered down in the middle of writing an update, it doesn't have the opportunity to write it in as a fail, and restore the backed up portion. it just gets cut off mid write
Old 09-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #1877
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
. .

Last edited by listermint; 09-03-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: double post
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #1878
listermint

My Ride: E46 M3 '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@DynavinSolutions View Post
and opey confirms the opposite...... I guess we are back to it being a mystery!
The reason is the 'start up' sequence in the dealer coding. If the OEM radio is missing the 'Start up' sequence that the Dealer is using to recode the vehicle is broken. The Dealer equipment needs to read that all items in the start up are there (hardware wise)

I presume the other user is using INPA or Progman to code his vehicle but has the start up modified to exclude radio headunit. Anyone with any unit other than the OEM would have to do this or replace the head to stock in order to code.
listermint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #1879
gazfatha323i
E46 Spartan

My Ride: 04 CB/IR M3
Send a message via AIM to gazfatha323i
Sounds like this system still needs alot of work. Although seems very promising - I think i'll wait for a version that is completely based on one OS and has all the kinks worked out.

I really dont like the fact that you use Android for part of the functions and for radio etc, there is a backend crappy OS. If this can all be integrated better - it would be a much better product.

Carbon Black / IR ///M
gazfatha323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #1880
Bchris

My Ride: BMW E46 320D '05
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazfatha323i View Post
Sounds like this system still needs alot of work. Although seems very promising - I think i'll wait for a version that is completely based on one OS and has all the kinks worked out.

I really dont like the fact that you use Android for part of the functions and for radio etc, there is a backend crappy OS. If this can all be integrated better - it would be a much better product.
Agree, wait for a one OS based unit with a capacitive screen Will polly be awhile until it comes, but will be worth waiting for i think

BTW, dunno if this has been asked; Spotify app, does this work on the dynavin android side? Offlinemode? change songs and volume from steering wheel?
Bchris is offline   Reply With Quote