E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #61
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
A forum member of the local town has been building a similiar engine , this makes me want mine to be finished today (waiting on oilpump and a new HG, shop that has HG is closed for vacation though)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #62
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Last parts i need to get the engine into the car should be dropping in in a week or so.

Meanwhile i've been plumbing charge-pipeing and swapping body panels...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00344.jpg
Views:	1491
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	410773  
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #63
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Are you planning on removing your Secondary Air Pump and all the vacuum plumbing? Are you going to remove the vacuum lines that run to the vacuum tank/exhaust system? I was thinking instead of running a vac block you could just get vacuum from either of these holes in the manifold. Also the Vacuum line that runs to the Vac tank/exhaust system will is already pre plumbed into the cabin. Should make it easy to set up a boost gauge and look oem. Just some things I've been tossing around. Any updates? That motor mount looks really good too.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #64
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
Are you planning on removing your Secondary Air Pump and all the vacuum plumbing? Are you going to remove the vacuum lines that run to the vacuum tank/exhaust system? I was thinking instead of running a vac block you could just get vacuum from either of these holes in the manifold. Also the Vacuum line that runs to the Vac tank/exhaust system will is already pre plumbed into the cabin. Should make it easy to set up a boost gauge and look oem. Just some things I've been tossing around. Any updates? That motor mount looks really good too.
Swedish cars dont have the secondary air system
All plumbing will be custom.

VAC block will be used for ;
MAP
BOV
BoostGauge
FPR

Will be running a hose from the brake booster to turbo inlet and one from the manifold to the wastegate solenoid.

Got the head torqued down to 40Nm the my socket (12mm , 6hex) started to slip , damn you americans with your imperial measurments

Ill get some pics for you tomorrow once the oilpan(which i had welded) goes on (also looking to put on tranny and lift into the chassis)
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #65
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,362
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Got the head torqued down to 40Nm the my socket (12mm , 6hex) started to slip , damn you americans with your imperial measurments
Lol
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #66
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
So just had a sad day in the garage, start off by getting the vanos all set up and getting ready to put on the transmission (i need to use a stock flywheel to set the vanos as the S54 flywheel doesnt have a TDC hole in the same spot as M5* series)

I swear that flywheel has been on and off the engine like 10 times..

Anyway upon setting the vanos we torque down the camshaft nuts , the PO must have been doing some pulling on these when he removed the head form the engine as one snapped off when torqued , no biggie , just remove vanos and pull one from my old head , redo vanos and then i notice one of the intake studs is loose to the touch , trying to torque it down just pulls the stud up (this is the point where i felt like crying).

I notice it has about half it's threads stripped so we decide to try the half threads with thread-locking compound on it , this has to set for 3hours and we called it a day.

So tomorrow i hope will be a good day where everything just works... somehow i doubt it and with this years last streetrace in 6 days the need for everything to work is quite big...

Anyways ill update tomorrow with some pics
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #67
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss
 
PEI330Ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: PEI,Canada
Posts: 3,935
My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
So just had a sad day in the garage, start off by getting the vanos all set up and getting ready to put on the transmission (i need to use a stock flywheel to set the vanos as the S54 flywheel doesnt have a TDC hole in the same spot as M5* series)

I swear that flywheel has been on and off the engine like 10 times..

Anyway upon setting the vanos we torque down the camshaft nuts , the PO must have been doing some pulling on these when he removed the head form the engine as one snapped off when torqued , no biggie , just remove vanos and pull one from my old head , redo vanos and then i notice one of the intake studs is loose to the touch , trying to torque it down just pulls the stud up (this is the point where i felt like crying).

I notice it has about half it's threads stripped so we decide to try the half threads with thread-locking compound on it , this has to set for 3hours and we called it a day.

So tomorrow i hope will be a good day where everything just works... somehow i doubt it and with this years last streetrace in 6 days the need for everything to work is quite big...

Anyways ill update tomorrow with some pics
Do not use threadlock on the studs. You need to helicoil the head.

I'm assuming you mean a stud that holds down the camshaft caps....been through this before.....same thing...ended up breaking the cap in half, then had to buy a complete new cam tray. (Not cheap)

If this is the case, you need an M7 helicoil kit. You can do this without removing the head from the engine by being careful....
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #68
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,323
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
When do you plan on finishing

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo.
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #69
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Do not use threadlock on the studs. You need to helicoil the head.

I'm assuming you mean a stud that holds down the camshaft caps....been through this before.....same thing...ended up breaking the cap in half, then had to buy a complete new cam tray. (Not cheap)

If this is the case, you need an M7 helicoil kit. You can do this without removing the head from the engine by being careful....
Yeah i was thinking this through last night and thought the load might be too much , i have a few helicoils that i might use , first off i'll drill the hole and tap it for M7 and try a M7 stud, only thing is that the stud is one that has a guide-pin on it. Looks like it will be a long night for me ^^

Looking to drop it in today if all goes well , then i just need to plug up the electronics and weld a wastegate and then i can start tune-ing
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #70
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 2,185
My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
trying to torque it down just pulls the stud up (this is the point where i felt like crying).

I notice it has about half it's threads stripped so we decide to try the half threads with thread-locking compound on it , this has to set for 3hours and we called it a day.
I went through this too, I cheated too, but thread locking compound is sketch. The proper way to do this is as Adam is advising you. I'd have more peace of mind if i had invested in m7 helicoil.
__________________

__________________
2001 330ci TT turbo
e46nonm.com | TechniqueTuning.com | Precision-Sport.com
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #71
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
I went through this too, I cheated too, but thread locking compound is sketch. The proper way to do this is as Adam is advising you. I'd have more peace of mind if i had invested in m7 helicoil.
Yeah was going to helicoil it now , my helicoil box has gone missing so i need to go buy a new set tomorrow..FML
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #72
Jim Murphy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta (Dunwoody), GA
Posts: 456
My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
You have not mentioned what mods you will be doing for the E85.
My friends who run E85 (and alcohol) in their V8 race cars say that since you will need between 25% to 40% more fuel than gas to produce the same power and this will cause you to run much bigger injectors/mapping along with a bigger fuel pump. Also they said that whatever touches the ethanol cannot react to it or you will have major problems - rubber fuel lines and fuel pump come to mind.

Hope that this helps.
Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #73
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Murphy View Post
You have not mentioned what mods you will be doing for the E85.
My friends who run E85 (and alcohol) in their V8 race cars say that since you will need between 25% to 40% more fuel than gas to produce the same power and this will cause you to run much bigger injectors/mapping along with a bigger fuel pump. Also they said that whatever touches the ethanol cannot react to it or you will have major problems - rubber fuel lines and fuel pump come to mind.

Hope that this helps.
Jim
Well the myth that the alcohol eats rubber fuel lines etc isn't that true , sure it deterioates it abit faster than gas does but rust / electrical issues will call for fuel line/pump changes before the ethanol has done anything to it.

You need to run about 9.8AFR compared to gas'es 14.7 , thats an increase of about 33% which is why im running 1000cc injectors and an upgraded 250l/h pump.

I've done enough with ethanol before to know how it works, also ran my supercharger setup with E50 before
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #74
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Well it's helicoiled to M8 now , should hold lol
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #75
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
So did some work today;

HPF Tech's should get alot of credits getting the heavy 420G transmission on with their closely machined disks, we were 2 men with the engine on the floor , and it still took us 15min to get the tranny bolted down.
VAC Motorsports can't have sent me a M3 SSK , it doesn't fit in the transmission side(ill sand down the bushings abit to make it fit) and the plastic things inside the ssk had to be sanded down aswell to even allow it to be assembled..
SPA Manifold is TIGHT , i have no wastegate tubing on and there's only like 2 or 3 inches between the port and the firewall.

Well atleast the engine is in , the turbo is bolted down and it looks like everything will fit ... tight but it will fit.

On a side note , from standing 5 months my diff semms to have seized up , tried to roll the car but it was just dragging the drivers rear on the pavement(tried to pull it loose with another car)

Pictures and maby a first start might be coming tomorrow

EDIT ; Buddy just sent me these :












Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00199.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	414480   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00200.jpg
Views:	2936
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	414481   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00201.jpg
Views:	2925
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	414482   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00202.jpg
Views:	2909
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	414483  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00204.jpg
Views:	2908
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	414484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00205.jpg
Views:	2894
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	414485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00207.jpg
Views:	3127
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	414486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00218.jpg
Views:	2896
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	414487  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00219.jpg
Views:	2855
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	414488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00220.jpg
Views:	2853
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	414489   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00221.jpg
Views:	2849
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	414490   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00223.jpg
Views:	2882
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	414491  


Last edited by SweTurbo; 08-26-2011 at 07:54 PM.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #76
xixixi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
My Ride: 01 330x-xi
I love that motor mount. Makes perfect sense so you can just run the intake piping/filter straight through. Gonna have to pirate that Awesome, work man!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #77
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I love that motor mount. Makes perfect sense so you can just run the intake piping/filter straight through. Gonna have to pirate that Awesome, work man!
Yeah it's pretty sweet

Altough i dont think you can fit a bigger turbo with it as it JUST fits a 4" hose between the outside of the turbo and the actual rubber part of the motor mount
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #78
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Got it cranked a few times today ... by accident (was installing the wiring after i had used power for something else)

Cranked really strong wich is atleast some relief, other than that today was most of a let-down;

Downpipe space is almost non-existant , will have to use a 90 degree downpipe .. leaving little room for WG piping.
Transmission mounts fron 5speed cant be used with the 6speed , wish someone would have told me before ..
The driveshaft i bought a couple months ago is 4cm short , meaning i either need to buy a correct one or have it lengthened.
Shifter leans about 1cm too far to the right , most likely due to it being bent when shipped(it was attached to the tranny)

Oh and the VAG coils are like made for the M54 with the updated VC
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #79
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
It's coming together , i just need to :
Get new driveshaft (ordered)
Get new trannysupport(ordered)
Weld exhaust(having my buddy do it next week)
Map out wastegate piping(having hard time to find 1,5" exhaust pipes)
And some other small things...

Here's a few pics for ya ;




Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00347.jpg
Views:	2774
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	415192   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00348.jpg
Views:	2797
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	415193   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00350.jpg
Views:	2788
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	415194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00351.jpg
Views:	2752
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	415195  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00352.jpg
Views:	2728
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	415196  
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #80
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,323
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Looks good!!! This all makes me sad I wish I was at this point.
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo.
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use