E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #381
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
The car is back and good to go for the most part. I need to send the ECU to nick for the stage 2 still.

only problem now is once the car is warm the low oil pressure light comes on under 1500rpm.
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #382
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,024
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
You better come up and visit me when it's all done
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #383
BimmerDude18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DeLand Florida
Posts: 2,910
My Ride: 1998 528i
Try some 10w60
__________________
-Tyler

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold


www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #384
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
You better come up and visit me when it's all done
Not fair meet me half way/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
Try some 10w60
hmm you sure? right now it has castrol 5 30. seems like a jump is that safe?
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #385
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
Try some 10w60
Yeah just hide the problem..

Get an oil press gauge and tell us the idle pressure, if it fluctuates etc...

EDIT : I cant remember if you had any headwork done ?
If so was this replaced(#2) ?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=11&fg=15

If not that will most likely be your problem, whether you can do with low press at idle (since it's the cams that wont get oilpress) idk , maby adam could chime in on that ?

Last edited by SweTurbo; 10-24-2011 at 07:15 PM.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #386
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,024
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
Not fair meet me half way/
Deal... hell, i'll drive 2/3 of the way to sit in your beast
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #387
BimmerDude18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DeLand Florida
Posts: 2,910
My Ride: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Yeah just hide the problem..

Get an oil press gauge and tell us the idle pressure, if it fluctuates etc...

EDIT : I cant remember if you had any headwork done ?
If so was this replaced(#2) ?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=11&fg=15

If not that will most likely be your problem, whether you can do with low press at idle (since it's the cams that wont get oilpress) idk , maby adam could chime in on that ?
10w60 would give him more oil pressure at idle so his hydrodynamic bearings would function properly. The clearances in the bottom end are MUCH more critical to have the right weight in than the cam trays.

Its not hiding the problem, its speccing the right oil for loose bearings, most race motors are built to suit 50-60 weight...I mean, even the S54 is.

You could always call the machine shop that assembled the bottom end and ask them what they had for final clearances.
__________________
-Tyler

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold


www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #388
JohnBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 7,132
My Ride: Black Sunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Deal... hell, i'll drive 2/3 of the way to sit in your beast
let me get a ride dude, I wanna see that too
__________________
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #389
MalibuMafiaV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Malibu
Posts: 1,041
My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
I like how your doing your work in a parking lot and in your house. That's Gster right there!. Good work man love the car!.
__________________
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #390
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
10w60 would give him more oil pressure at idle so his hydrodynamic bearings would function properly. The clearances in the bottom end are MUCH more critical to have the right weight in than the cam trays.

Its not hiding the problem, its speccing the right oil for loose bearings, most race motors are built to suit 50-60 weight...I mean, even the S54 is.

You could always call the machine shop that assembled the bottom end and ask them what they had for final clearances.
Exactly , use the right oil with the right bearings(or tolerence really) assuming he went with the new bearings they shouldn't be "loose".

What i said was that if the shop forgot to plug in the one-way-valve in the head then he might get away with low oilpress as that valve only makes sure the cams get decent pressure , not anything about the crank-bearings.

As you said , finding out what the shop specced the bearings for is the best choice.
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #391
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,024
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
let me get a ride dude, I wanna see that too
You can ride down with me bud. We can take the rover or 3 depending on weather.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #392
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Yeah just hide the problem..

Get an oil press gauge and tell us the idle pressure, if it fluctuates etc...

EDIT : I cant remember if you had any headwork done ?
If so was this replaced(#2) ?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...69&hg=11&fg=15

If not that will most likely be your problem, whether you can do with low press at idle (since it's the cams that wont get oilpress) idk , maby adam could chime in on that ?
I'm going with no on number 2 because I didn't buy it and they didn't tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Deal... hell, i'll drive 2/3 of the way to sit in your beast
PERFECT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
10w60 would give him more oil pressure at idle so his hydrodynamic bearings would function properly. The clearances in the bottom end are MUCH more critical to have the right weight in than the cam trays.

Its not hiding the problem, its speccing the right oil for loose bearings, most race motors are built to suit 50-60 weight...I mean, even the S54 is.

You could always call the machine shop that assembled the bottom end and ask them what they had for final clearances.
I will call tomorrow but they did say to buy stock size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ious View Post
let me get a ride dude, I wanna see that too
Damn its not that amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I like how your doing your work in a parking lot and in your house. That's Gster right there!. Good work man love the car!.

Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Exactly , use the right oil with the right bearings(or tolerence really) assuming he went with the new bearings they shouldn't be "loose".

What i said was that if the shop forgot to plug in the one-way-valve in the head then he might get away with low oilpress as that valve only makes sure the cams get decent pressure , not anything about the crank-bearings.

As you said , finding out what the shop specced the bearings for is the best choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
You can ride down with me bud. We can take the rover or 3 depending on weather.
Haha
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #393
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
..
I checked your photos and it looks like you have something in that slot atleast.



Do you have any other photos of it ?
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #394
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
btw this .82 a/r made me a lil sad I don't feel it good untill 3700rpm it was like 2200rpm before.
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #395
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
btw this .82 a/r made me a lil sad I don't feel it good untill 3700rpm it was like 2200rpm before.
But you're only going for 7psi of boost sofar ?

I must say there's a shitload of difference between 7 and 15
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #396
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
I checked your photos and it looks like you have something in that slot atleast.



Do you have any other photos of it ?
Ill check oh yeah and the other problem i have is it won't idle right with the MAF sensor plugged in, it bounces a lot when I hit the clutch to come to a stop after a min or so it gets steady.
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #397
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
But you're only going for 7psi of boost sofar ?

I must say there's a shitload of difference between 7 and 15
not quite 15 but yeah haha and yeah 6ish
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #398
JohnBlaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 7,132
My Ride: Black Sunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
You can ride down with me bud. We can take the rover or 3 depending on weather.
nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post


Damn its not that amazing.
still pretty amazing...
__________________
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #399
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,899
My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx5rider View Post
Ill check oh yeah and the other problem i have is it won't idle right with the MAF sensor plugged in, it bounces a lot when I hit the clutch to come to a stop after a min or so it gets steady.
Problems with MAF is either tune or a leak somehwere between the maf and intake valve
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #400
zx5rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,326
My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Yall are all so smart
__________________


'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use