E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Another N/A 330 build thread

Alright, so I am getting on the band wagon here with building my 330 for n/a power. Pretty much have most bolt-ons you can get but for those that may want to know exactly what they are:

EvoSport Pulleys
Bimmerbrakes.com Ceramic coated headers
BMW Performance Intake
AA Tune
UUC Stage I Flywheel

Over the course of the next couple of months I will be getting a supersprint x-pipe, some stett silicone intake boots, and most likely modifying the intake to copy a Dinan and run down to the brake duct though I am rather concerned about the venturi effect.

I will be dynoing after the x-pipe, and once again after I modify the box and throw in the Stett boots. Not neccasarrily in that order though.

Also, in the next year I will absolutely be performing significant headwork, and throwing in some of the most aggressive cams I can find. Think three angle valve job, shaved head, ported and polished Ferra 1mm oversized valve, dual titanium springs, titanium retainers, etc... As for the cams I will be looking for something close to 272 intake 264 exhaust if I can find some.... I want to be a bit more agressive than a typcial 264 248 cam from schrick.

So here we go I never got a baseline stock dyno. Nor did I get one just for the intake.

This is my first dyno, and is with Headers, Intake, and Flywheel (not like flywheel really adds anything here).

My second Dyno will be here in the space below with all of the above modifications and EvoSport Pulleys. I only gained 1hp at peak and actually lost quite a bit of power else where. However, I overhauled the cooling system so that my thermostat was actually working (not stuck open, which will run the engine cooler and can actually increase power). Also the ambient was about 24 degrees warmer.

I will be doing a dyno in about a week to see what I gained from the AA Tune, and will update with results once I have dyno'd. For this dyno I have also replaced my vanos seals with Besian Systems Units so I do expect to see my low end torque improve. I will also try for a day with as close to 70 degree weather as I can get. So I am hoping for at least 215 whp and 210 wtq, and praying I can see 220.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 04-27-2011 at 10:58 PM.
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
cool wheres teh after dyno from tune?
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
zx5rider

My Ride: 03 M3 , 03 TT 330,
Send a message via AIM to zx5rider
Nice Good luck. Had my Car dynoed at the same place a couple of times.

'03 330 Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo. (Parting out)
'03 M3
'11 BMW s1000rr
zx5rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
What's the numbers with AA?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
E46_330i_Stud

My Ride: 2004 330ci ZHP 6MT
Nice! Very interested to see what AA's tune did for ya!

1995 325i 5mt ArcticGrey/Dove - SOLD
2004 330ci ZHP 6MT SilberGrau/Black - SOLD
2001 330i M-Sport 5MT StaulGrau/Grey - SOLD
1992 Accord LX Sedan 275k miles all original - DAILY
2002 Chevy Suburban LT Autoride - TOY HAULER
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT - RACE TRUCK!
E46_330i_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
RogueStatus37

My Ride: '04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_330i_Stud View Post
this

2004 330Ci ZSP 6-Speed

Blackout grills l Smoked Reflectors l CCFL Angel Eyes l Gloss Black Roof Vinyl l BSW Speaker Upgrade l 3.46 Open Diff l BMW Performance SSKl M3 Style Trunk Spoiler
H&R Sport Cup Spring Kit l RHO Tow Hook Plate l Nokya Hyper-yellow Fogs l Stainless Steel Headers l Tuner Slotted Brake Kit l AXXIS/PBR Metal Master Pads l BMW AUX Input Kit

RogueStatus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
PawnStar

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46_330i_Stud View Post
Word
PawnStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
I think he said 3whp at peak...
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
lejeunebimmer

Random bump with my newest dyno, I only got to do one run because of some technical diffuculties, so its probably safe to add a hp or two to it.
Only changes are a new DISA and Stett Intake boots

Mods:
Stett Intake Boots
EvoSport Underdrive Pulleys
Bimmerbrakes.com ceramic coated headers
BMW Performance Intake
Active Auto Tune
UUC Stage I LW Flywheel

P.S. Here are all of my Dyno charts, I would add them above I cant edit my post anymore....

1st 3 runs with only BMW Performance Intake, Headers, and UUC Flywheel

Best of my 2nd batch of runs with all of the above plus EvoSportPulleys, and a working thermostat, overlayed with my best intial run

Best of 3rd batch of runs, which is all of the above plus AA Tune, overlayed against best 1st run
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 10-14-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #10
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
OP,

Your numbers look solid, BUT.

Unless there was a problem with the the first dyno facility, as in it went out of business, you really need to do all of your dyno pulls on the same dyno. The differences in WHP between the first dyno & the second dyno could very well be the facilities dyno machines & the way they are operating. Even if you dynoed on two of the exact same Dynojets that were supposed to be setup exactly the same, separated by only one mile & a 10 minute drive; you'd get different results.

So the increase in WHP that you just got may be very real, but then again you may have really lost 2WHP & not know it. If these results were on the same dyno, I would have already placed an order for the Stett intake boots & new DISA valve.

Please stay with one dyno.

Good luck on your quest.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
OP,

Your numbers look solid, BUT.

Unless there was a problem with the the first dyno facility, as in it went out of business, you really need to do all of your dyno pulls on the same dyno. The differences in WHP between the first dyno & the second dyno could very well be the facilities dyno machines & the way they are operating. Even if you dynoed on two of the exact same Dynojets that were supposed to be setup exactly the same, separated by only one mile & a 10 minute drive; you'd get different results.

So the increase in WHP that you just got may be very real, but then again you may have really lost 2WHP & not know it. If these results were on the same dyno, I would have already placed an order for the Stett intake boots & new DISA valve.

Please stay with one dyno.

Good luck on your quest.
Rob

I know what you mean, and I absolutely would love too, but....

I moved from Virginia, where the first shop was, to Minnesota where the last dyno was done at. So all subsuquent dynos will be done here, so theres really no way for me to go back to that dyno again.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Now that's a great reason.

Sounds good.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #13
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
you need a dinan long tube intake
Old 10-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Looking good. Update the dyno thread.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
I moved from Virginia, where the first shop was, to Minnesota where the last dyno was done at.
Welcome to Minnesota, check out mnbmw.com for about five local dorks chatting about BMWs, or mnautox.com for autocross information. I'm setting up a winter go karting league right now on mnautox.com, so if you wanted to meet some local gearheads, that would be a good way to do it.

Matt
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #16
lejeunebimmer

Matt,

Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been up here since May, and I have an account on mnbmw (same sn). I'm pretty aware of the about 5-10 people who seem to frequent it. I've been to a few of the C&C's and the German Car show this past Saturday at the Auto motorplex. Thanks for the info about the autox site too, I'll have to go check that out.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
lejeunebimmer

Update:

I haven't done anything to the engine recently, but I did go on a weight reduction kick since the first Autox of the season on Saturday.

I removed my spare wheel, wheel chock, jack, tool kit, trunk liners, sound deadening in the trunk, sound deadening in both rear doors, sound deadening under the back seat, and behind the seat back of the back seat (fixed seat backs ftw), and removed the subs for the HK system (well actually the p.o. Did it many years ago, lol), and replaced my ~45lbs stock battery with an ETX 18L motorcycle battery that weighs in at a whopping 18 lbs!

All of the above, coupled with my lightweight flywheel, cross drilled rotors, and headers should put me right around 3160lbs (give or take 10). I'll find out for sure in the next few days when I get around to putting my car on the scales. I can say that it feels like she accelerates a little faster now though, braking has definitely improved.

As of right now, I am saving up to get an upgraded oil pump that is very similar to the Vaio one Pei330ci used in his N/A drag car, an S54 timing chain tensioner, and a baffled oil pan.

My next step after those three, is to contact burns about getting the y-pipe Aggie got them to design for our cars, then having a custom 3" exhaust built headers back. Should save about 30lbs of weight and hopefully be good for a few horsies!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #18
lejeunebimmer

Put her on the scales today, 3160 on the dot, but 52% of it is on the front axle.....

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Bimmer App

Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lejeunebimmer View Post
and most likely modifying the intake to copy a Dinan and run down to the brake duct though I am rather concerned about the venturi effect.
The Venturi effect is the reduction in fluid pressure that results when a fluid flows through a constricted section of pipe.

Explain.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
lejeunebimmer

Well after not posting in this thread for quite some time, I decided to do a small update.

I have ordered my VAC oil pan baffle, and the upgraded 4 bolt oil pump, along with Vorshlag Camber Plates and Bimmerworld adjustable front sway bar end links, Turner Motorsports front subframe reinforcement plates, and BMW strut tower reinforcements. With the exception of the pump, all the parts will be here by Monday.

With any kind of luck I will spend next weekend in the garage doing some reinforcement, and replacement.

I will update with some pictures once I complete it!

I have also decided that before I continue along any further on the power I am going to shore up the rear subframe and replace all the subframe bushings and diff mount bushings with AKG Motorsports 75D bushings, and Ground Countrol Rear control arms.

Expect this to be addressed later this year sometime.