E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #21
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
So here are some photos of the recent additions I did.

VAC Oilpan baffle stamp:

Inside of baffle, showing back side of one-way valve:

Outside of baffle showing the one-way valve open:

Oilpan cleaned before welding the baffle in:

Baffle welded in:

Subframe out TMS reinforcement plates welded in, and getting painted up:

What remains of my stock steering guibo, after rebuilding it with the AKG 75D polyurethane piece:

Steering Guibo rebuilt and installed:

Old oil pump out:

Vaio oil pump in:

Upclose of the sprocket:

Side view to show the shaft:

#1 Connecting rod cap, and crank counterweights:

AKG tie downs, painted red so hopefully the dyno operator can figure out to hook into them:

Also, for anyone wondering.
My oil pump nut was still on there nice and tight (I would guess the full 18 ft lbs) this was after 160,878 miles, 10 pulls on the dyno, 3 track days, and god only knows how many Autox runs.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #22
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #23
///Mvious

My Ride: E46 330
Nice work
///Mvious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #24
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Wow, nice work!

How hard was the oil pan baffle install? (aside from the welding) I should probably get one of those in there, my motor is tick city.

Have you driven with the AKG steering guibo in yet? I found a fresh stock piece worked great, I'd think the AKG might be too much, given the rack is bolted on and the ball joints are all solid.

M1/M2 are coming up, will you be there?
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
Wow, nice work!

How hard was the oil pan baffle install? (aside from the welding) I should probably get one of those in there, my motor is tick city.

Have you driven with the AKG steering guibo in yet? I found a fresh stock piece worked great, I'd think the AKG might be too much, given the rack is bolted on and the ball joints are all solid.

M1/M2 are coming up, will you be there?

Thanks.

The actual removal of the oil pan is pretty easy, as is everything else to get to it. The biggest problem I think you'll face is separating the subframe from the control arms. If you manage to actually separate the, it should be a really straightforward job. As you see I ended up removing the control arms with the steering knuckles sill attached because of some difficulties I ran into. Also, if you can dont bother dropping the steering pump, I dropped mine, and I think I would've been just fine with it still mounted up. So if you get those two things done right, it's actually a really easy no so bad job; if not, it's an easy job still but a serious headache when it comes time to put the subframe back in.

Actually I find the steering guibo to be just fine, no increased NVH (that i percieve), but definitely no more slop and a better feel!

I may or may not go to M1 and M2, we'll see. I am going to the PDX this Sunday, and the BMWCCA HPDE at BIR in May.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #26
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
Good stuff mate. Just wondering if you track with R comps and what Gs you're pulling on the corners?

Also have you installed some kind of fuel baffle?
MSportBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #27
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportBMW View Post
Good stuff mate. Just wondering if you track with R comps and what Gs you're pulling on the corners?

Also have you installed some kind of fuel baffle?

No R comps. I'm runing Hankook RS3's in 245 40 r17 on the stock M68s for the track. I may get a set of r comps after I use these up, which will probably be pretty soon.

I couldn't tell you exactly on the g's as I haven't come up with a good way to mount my iPhone yet, although I know they're over 1g of lateral, I just don't know how much over.

No fuel baffle yet, although I may install the M3 baffle here soon, although I've only suffered fuel starvation once and that was with less than an eighth of a tank, going through a carousel.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #28
lejeunebimmer

I just ordered another rear subframe from some junkyard. The plan is to have that one shipped to me, weld in the sway bar reinforcement plates. Knock the old bushings out, drop it off at the powder coaters. Pick it up and press in the new AKG 75D subframe bushings and diff bushings. Afterwards, I will continue to slowly order the parts as I deserie to completely refresh the rear end, and when I have it all ready I will swap it.

My subframe should be here next Wed. So I'll take some before pictures, and then show it's progress.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 AM   #29
lejeunebimmer

So I realize that this is turning into more of a track car build thread, but here are my latest updates.

I am preparing to tackle my rear subframe, by that I mean that I will be replacing all of the subframe bushings, differential bushings, reinforcing the subframe and more.

I have now ordered all of the parts that I need, and most are beginning to arrive, so here is my part list for my rear subframe job;
-"New" Rear subframe (bought from a junkyard so that I can get the bushings replaced before I start the job, too much of a p.i.t.a. to me)
-AKG Motorsport 75D Subframe bushings (all 4)
-AKG Motorsport 75D Differential bushings (all 3)
-Turner Motorsport Rear swaybar reinforcement kit
-Turner Motorsport Rear Subframe reinforcement kit
-Turner Motorsport Adjustable rear lower control arms with bushing ends
-Rougue Engineering Polyurethane Rear shock mounts (with reinforcement plates)
-Swapping from my 2.93 diff to a 3.15 diff (still open though, I can't afford LSD yet)
-Z4 Finned Diff Cover
-New O.E.M. Upper Inner rear control arm bushings
-OEM M3 Balljoint style upper and lower outer control arm bushings
-OEM M3 RTAB's
-AKG Motorsport RTAB Limiters
-OEM M3 Fuel Pump baffle

I'll try and post up some pics tomorrow of some of the parts that have come in already, and then some after shots of the "new" subframe after getting the bushings pressed in.

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 04-18-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #30
turbotalon1g

My Ride: '02 330i
Interesting build. I like it.
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #31
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Nice build! The oil pan baffle is downright sexy.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #32
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
I love this build, I check it all the time.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #33
lejeunebimmer

Another N/A 330 build thread

Some quick pictures of some of the parts that are going, and of the progress I made today. Tomorrow will be dedicated to switching everything from my old subframe to the "new" one, welding, painting, replacing bushings etc.

3.15 Diff
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366780170.370324.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	502042

Finned diff cover

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366780196.366883.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	502043

Turner rear control arms

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366780221.731512.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	502044

Replacement subframe with all new AKG 75d bushings.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366780248.979921.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	502045

Turner Swaybar reinforcements welded on, and waiting for paint

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366780284.473066.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	502046

Out with the old

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1366780316.695990.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	502048

Tomorrow ill try to take some pictures of the other bushings going in hopefully of the subframe reinforcements welded in and painted, and the new subframe built up,along with the carnage that is my stock diff bushings.

Good news though, I don't have any cracks under the subframe.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app