E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
01E46Joe

My Ride: 2001 325i
Car won't start ? Help please?

Car ran fine all day. Had a doctor appt. Came out an hour later. And turned key n nothing. Lights,radio, n all work, I hear the fuel pump, but the car won't even try to turn over. It's like I'm trying to start it without the clutch in. Wth??

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
01E46Joe

Maf has been disconnected for about a month

Old 04-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You are describing a dead key. The car acts like the gear selector in not in P or N, or the clutch is not depressed. This is classic dead key.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01E46Joe View Post
Car ran fine all day. Had a doctor appt. Came out an hour later. And turned key n nothing. Lights,radio, n all work, I hear the fuel pump, but the car won't even try to turn over. It's like I'm trying to start it without the clutch in. Wth??

Do you have a clutch stop...a thingy screwed in below your clutch? Remove it.

If you have another key, try it. I thought what JD thought first.

It's probably not the battery, but it still could be despite your having lights. Check with cluster test or multimeter.

This whole day that it ran fine? Was it a number of short trips, starting and stopping, and not a whole lot of distance traveled?

If none of this works, then you start searching and read about the other reasons you might not crank...from bad crank sensor, to angry gremlins.

I think I'm going to put my money on battery...yes, I remember you have lights...that doesn't mean you have enough power to start. And, you might not need a new battery, you just might need to drive more--20 mins. on highway should charge it, but many short trips rob it of power quickly, and if was already not being driven a lot, that might have caught up with you is all.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 04-28-2011 at 05:48 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
01E46Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
You are describing a dead key. The car acts like the gear selector in not in P or N, or the clutch is not depressed. This is classic dead key.
Anyway of fixing A dead key ?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
01E46Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Do you have a clutch stop...a thingy screwed in below your clutch? Remove it.

If you have another key, try it. I thought what JD thought first.

It's probably not the battery, but it still could be despite your having lights. Check with cluster test or multimeter.

This whole day that it ran fine? Was it a number of short trips, starting and stopping, and not a whole lot of distance traveled?

If none of this works, then you start searching and read about the other reasons you might not crank...from bad crank sensor, to angry gremlins.

I think I'm going to put my money on battery...yes, I remember you have lights...that doesn't mean you have enough power to start. And, you might not need a new battery, you just might need to drive more--20 mins. on highway should charge it, but many short trips rob it of power quickly, and if was already not being driven a lot, that might have caught up with you is all.
Ok ,unfortunately I have one key. If it was a "low" battery wouldn't it try to crank a little instead of nothing ? And I had a few average number of trips. About 20 mins each. Would the clutch stop stop it from starting if it was faulty?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
dmax

Quote:
Ok ,unfortunately I have one key. If it was a "low" battery wouldn't it try to crank a little instead of nothing ? And I had a few average number of trips. About 20 mins each. Would the clutch stop stop it from starting if it was faulty?

Clutch stop would stop it from starting. It's not faulty, per se, it's just too high and your clutch needs to be lower to engage the switch. If you have a clutch stop, unscrew it and try again. You are a manual, right?

The battery could be so dead it wouldn't do anything. It might click, but I don't know for sure that it would. My son's car died this way...just a single click and nothing else.

Doesn't cost anything to try jump starting. If you need a new key, the fob is nice, but the vanity key is maybe $50 vs. the $150+ of a fobbed key.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
01E46Joe

Would dead key be able to unlock ,lock,POP trunk n all with the fob? Cause I took the clutch stop out n still nothin

Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
dmax

Quote:
Would dead key be able to unlock ,lock,POP trunk n all with the fob? Cause I took the clutch stop out n still nothin

That I don't know.

Did you install the clutch stop yourself? If so, did you need to add anything in front of the switch? I did, and I removed the entire mod, because I realized that if my jury rigged clutch switch failed at the wrong time, my car wouldn't start. It's been four years, so I don't remember the details...but might be worth a look.

As would jump starting the car, if for no other reason than to meet that hot neighbor of yours..."I know we've never met, but I'm hoping you would jump me?"

For some reason, I do believe that key fobs have unlocked the car while the chip didn't communicate with the car as it needs to. It's the chip you need, and the reason why a valet key still works, even though it doesn't have a battery. Keys do go bad, but a chip can't be repaired that I know of.

Go on, already, ask her to jump you...and post vid, please!

Oh, sorry, a little thing. If the clutch switch is broken, maybe because of the jury rigged mechanism on it, I know some here have rewired to remove it. Although that's not really a safe thing to do, if you don't forget you did it, that might be a work around. But remove kick panel and look above your clutch pedal. On mine, the switch was right there, but I needed to extend a piece on the pedal arm to engage the switch. If you or someone else did this, it's jury rigged and could have failed. Search for wiring 'past' the switch if needed.

A recent set

Last edited by dmax; 04-28-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Doug, you're rambling again and confusing the poor OP instead of helping him. What on earth would a clutch stop have to do with the car not starting if he drove it fine all day? That's random and a completely foolish suggestion. Do you even think about what you are about to type before you type it? At all? Then you say it's not the battery, but then it COULD be since he has no lights. WTF does that even mean?

Anyway, OP, turn the key into the ON position and listen for a fuel pump. If nothing, have someone turn the key and listen for the fuel pump relay clicking. If you heard the relay, but not the pump then I think we have your answer.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
I've said this many many times already. The part of the key that disables the immobilizer is completely separate from the part of the key that does remote entry and trunk release. So, yes, a key that does not start the car can still have a completely functioning key fob for lock & unlock of the doors and trunk release. So don't assume that the key should start the car because it can lock and unlock it.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Doug, you're rambling again and confusing the poor OP instead of helping him. What on earth would a clutch stop have to do with the car not starting if he drove it fine all day? That's random and a completely foolish suggestion. Do you even think about what you are about to type before you type it? At all? Then you say it's not the battery, but then it COULD be since he has no lights. WTF does that even mean?

Anyway, OP, turn the key into the ON position and listen for a fuel pump. If nothing, have someone turn the key and listen for the fuel pump relay clicking. If you heard the relay, but not the pump then I think we have your answer.
He's not cranking. A bad clutch switch would cause this, but as far as I know, with a bad fuel pump/relay, it would crank. If I'm wrong, that'd be a first!

I think you might've gotten confused because I mentioned battery just above, meaning that the battery in key could be good, but the key still might not work.

I still think the car's battery in the trunk might be bad and he hasn't jumped it yet that we know of.

You're saying that a bad fuel pump and/or relay would cause no cranking?

Oh, and I rarely think before I type. Half the time I don't even read an OP's post, Mango. I've been doing this so long, I just know sometimes...like maybe 2-3% of the time!

Anyway, do you have a clutch stop, Mango. On my car, you have to jury rig a doohicky to get it to work, and either stop could be too high, or doohicky or switch could fail. Easy to check, so no harm in my suggesting this possibility; where's the foul?

A recent set

Old 04-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Oh, and I rarely think before I type.
Lol DMAX, I don't know if you've ever met someone who doesn't think before they talk. I have. She comes into the shop every now and then. You'll greet her normally and she'd say something like, "Hi Sex bomb, can't wait to get in your pants!" at the top of her lungs no matter who's around ... apparently it's a disorder ...

We had a female who was working with us at one point, who had a particularly big ass. This lady came in and the first thing she said to her was, "Jeez, you've got a big ass don't you? I can suggest a good diet if you need one!"

She's much worse in person

Last edited by Drizzles; 04-29-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Drizzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 AM   #14
dmax

I'm not quite that bad, I hope!

So you're saying you think Mango has a big butt? No need to hint through parable; just say it to his face!

Anyway, I'm going to search a bit for you, OP, as I'm recalling our great Shanneba saying something about fuel pumps and no starts and if he says that fuel pumps cause no crank, then that's undoubtedly more likely than my clutch stop idea.

But, you know, have to say that in your first post, you said it was like it you didn't have clutch all the way down, so that did influence my thinking. Next time, just ask us what's wrong; don't confuse things by providing details or hints...they always throw me way off!

Note: Didn't find Shanneba's thinking on this specifically, but while searching, found he offered up this link: http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...ter.pdf#page=4

A recent set

Last edited by dmax; 04-29-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #15
01E46Joe

step by step im going to get this issue fixed. The site that dmax posted is going to be very helpful. Now I need to tow my car home, and im not paying for a tow truck. Tow straps and a jeep, i think so.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
GURKEY

My Ride: BMW
help me same think happend yesterday what did u do and how do you find out dead key because people keep saying difrent think
GURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #17
biggyd143

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Yes, I have the same issue. However, it's very random .. and the times it doesn't start, I just have to keep trying over and over until eventually it will crank and turn on. Any ideas? 01E46Joe, did you ever figure out what the issue was?
biggyd143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
01E46Joe

no not yet. So if you keep on doing trying to turn car on, it will eventually crank and turn on? if so how many times does it take.
And no not yet, ive been busy with work and school to take a look yet.
This site that dmax posted seems to be very helpful, scroll down a bit tho http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...ter.pdf#page=4
Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #19
biggyd143

My Ride: 2004 330ci
It varies .. it can take as little as two tries to like half an hour's worth of trying. I took it to my mechanic and he says he can't really diagnose where the problem is until the car is able to not start at all, and I'm not a very good DIY person so I guess I'll just have to wait and see ...
biggyd143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
GURKEY

My Ride: BMW
thank's for every body try to help me. I just solve my puzzle I went to easy and cheapest way first I order key from dealer $87 dollar whit tax. And new key works I only order plastic one and I am going to get regular key to. Who ever in the future if you have same problem i had . this are the symptoms are my bimmer...First my car is year 2000 323 ci coupe auto steptronic no check engine light or any other light was on everything was perfect until last Friday night and no any other problem before least similar.. I get in the car try turn key and it's like when you try to start your left on car D or R nothing no click anything head light work windows cd player all the dash light everything except car not start. any way this was a key problem and it's fix thanks for everyone again try to help me...
GURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote