E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
wceoscar

My Ride: 323i
Question Front Window Seals Squeking Noise.

Hello Guys, Since I bought my car back in 07' and since I had ownership it had this squeaking noise coming from the doors which had gotten worst over time, at first I thought it came from the actual door seal and lubed the area but the squeaking sound continued the same way.

Recently I discovered the cause of the noise, It's coming from the Window Seals of the front windows. If I roll the windows down the noise goes away but as soon as I roll them up and tension in applied to the seal the noise comes back again. I did some research from some people who had the issue and noticed they used:

WD40
BMW Gummi-Plfege
Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care
Silicone Spray

But apparently none of those are a long time cure since the noise came back a couple of days later. What would be the best solution for this?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
WD-40, bad choice as it contains a solvent and evaporates quickly. Gummi-goo, hard to find and no real magic here. Silicone spray, good for window glass travel path only. My best potion: Clean all surfaces with water based solvent (Simple Green). Apply a streak of NAPA Sil-Glyde or any Silicone grease to the upper door seal. Wax the metal area inside the upper door where the seal contacts. I put a couple coats on with any decent wax. Now a light application with Sil-Glyde along the upper compartment area above where you waxed. You really have to study how the door seal contacts the inner compartment. This lasts around six months.

Okay now checkout the link:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=teflon+tape

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 04-30-2011 at 06:16 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
wceoscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
WD-40, bad choice as it contains a solvent and evaporates quickly. Gummi-goo, hard to find and no real magic here. Silicone spray, good for window glass travel path only. My best potion: Clean all surfaces with water based solvent (Simple Green). Apply a streak of NAPA Sil-Glyde or any Silicone grease to the upper door seal. Wax the metal area inside the upper door where the seal contacts. I put a couple coats on with any decent wax. Now a light application with Sil-Glyde along the upper compartment area above where you waxed. You really have to study how the door seal contacts the inner compartment. This lasts around six months.

Okay now checkout the link:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=teflon+tape
Thanks! Will go to the Hardware/Autostore tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Will keep you posted.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
500rwhp

My Ride: 03 Cobra < FRC < 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by wceoscar View Post
Thanks! Will go to the Hardware/Autostore tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Will keep you posted.
Any luck? I have the same issue, seems like it comes and goes depending on how cold it is...
500rwhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
burnhamd

My Ride: 325i 2002
I think I remember reading in the bentley service manual to use talcum powder on the seal. I used sil glyde from napa and it lasted a few months.
burnhamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #6
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Silicone spray, applied once every few months, seems to fix the problem.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
wceoscar

Sorry for not posting my results, I went and got a spray can of 3in1 silicone oil and sprayed the seals and the inner window trim. the squeak went away completely for 2 days and came back again. Wondering what would be a long term solution?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #8
500rwhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wceoscar View Post
Sorry for not posting my results, I went and got a spray can of 3in1 silicone oil and sprayed the seals and the inner window trim. the squeak went away completely for 2 days and came back again. Wondering what would be a long term solution?
Kylek325i said he used PB silicone spray.. Read about it in the thread linked above.. I never associated the creaking noise (what I hear with windows rolled up, going over uneven surfaces, turning etc) with the squeaking (when I roll the window down). But they are definitely the two most annoying problems I've had w/ my E46
500rwhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Ky
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
If you think we have it bad, you should ride in an E60. Brand new off the showroom floor, those cars are notorious for door creaking.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
500rwhp

sil-glyde

Ok guys I sourced some of the sil-glyde that whiteknuckles recommended. Found it at a walker auto parts store, under $7. This may be a little premature but I drove my car for a few minutes after using it.... Windows up, stereo and ac off (90* out and humid as flamingo balls mind you, and the only creaking I heard was from the passenger side... Whereas I had always heard it on the drivers side, next to my ear.... I think this stuff works!!!! And no window squeel when I put the window down... Just applied a very light coat to the contact points between the window and the door molding.... Even if I had to apply it every couple weeks I would be very very pleased....
Will keep you guys posted. In the meanwhile biggups to whiteknuckles and everyone else who contributed to this thread
Old 05-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
TerryH

My Ride: '99 328i
I'm of the belief that the dry sticky squeaky window rubber is what breaks some of the regulators. The longer the windows go without use, the stickier the rubber adheres to the glass. Then !!bang-pow-clang!!, the regulator snaps upon trying to lower the glass. I'm now wiping the rubber with the slightest coat of this.... also good for eliminating the glass squeaks. It can make a smeary mess if too much gets on the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3msiliconepaste.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	405099  
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
silversurfer11

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
I'm of the belief that the dry sticky squeaky window rubber is what breaks some of the regulators. The longer the windows go without use, the stickier the rubber adheres to the glass. Then !!bang-pow-clang!!, the regulator snaps upon trying to lower the glass. I'm now wiping the rubber with the slightest coat of this.... also good for eliminating the glass squeaks. It can make a smeary mess if too much gets on the window.
How long is this paste lasting, and any description of how/where to apply this stuff?

I'm most concerned with preventing the window reg failure as I already have the notorious "click" when the window is halfway through traveling open and closed.
silversurfer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #14
silversurfer11

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer11 View Post
How long is this paste lasting, and any description of how/where to apply this stuff?

I'm most concerned with preventing the window reg failure as I already have the notorious "click" when the window is halfway through traveling open and closed.

Sent from my 330Ci
silversurfer11 is offline   Reply With Quote