E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 86 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #441
Western Skier

My Ride: Red 1999 323i
Im a bit confused. Is this a DIY for doing a bi xenon or regular xenon lights?

He didnt really describe what had to be done extra in order to hook up bi xenons. What extra steps would have to be done for bi xenon retrofitting? And this setup won't have the flickering and the other problems associated with xenons, right?

Btw, I have a 99 323..

Last edited by Western Skier; 01-22-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Western Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #442
KickTheCAN

My Ride: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Skier View Post

He didnt really describe what had to be done extra in order to hook up bi xenons. What extra steps would have to be done for bi xenon retrofitting? And this setup won't have the flickering and the other problems associated with xenons, right?

Btw, I have a 99 323..
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=180
KickTheCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #443
Erikx559

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:

Btw, I have a 99 323..
I got mine wired up by a fellow fanatic (Intleone) so that Bi-xenons turn by them selves when the stalk is pushed forward and flash to pass when you pull back. He also coded my car or lcm( I'm not sure) so it works properly.

I don't know exactly what he did, but he ran some wire from the projector solenoids to inside the driver footwell. From there on I don't know what he wired it up to.

If you want it to work like if it were oem, you should send intelone a pm for some help on what he had to do. If not then you can do the easy way and just tap into the high beams, but both highs will turn on.

Last edited by Erikx559; 01-23-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Erikx559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #444
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:

Btw, I have a 99 323..
The DIY can be used for xenon and bixenon. Bixenon is an extra feature in the xenon assembly(if you get the projectors with bixenon). Depends on what projectors you get.

If you do the process described in this thread, then you'll get xenons.

If you want to add bi-xenon functionality, Two ways to do it. Either way you have flash your car to accept xenons. That will eliminate the flickering and headlight out on the dash. Else you will need to add error cancelers inline with the headlight wiring to fool the car about the xenons you have added.

For proper functioning of bixenon feature like the previous post explained where you high beam halogens only to flash and bixenon shutter to open only when the high beams are used you have to add a relay between lights and LCM. here you go:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=421528

But you can splice on the high beam wire and connect it to bixenon solenoid, that will give you bixenon feature(sort of). Whenever you flash or use high beams, the high beam halogens will light as well as bixenon shutter will open.

Follow this thread too.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=871553

I am going to retrofit OEM bixenons to my halogens with DDM HID kit and trying to help you out with the links. I can't give you specific answers since I haven't tried it yet. But those 2 links will clear it up for you. Personally I would like the full bixenon functionality, but if it looks like too much of work, I will splice to the high beams and make it bixenon halogen hybrid.

Last edited by trj; 01-23-2012 at 02:13 AM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #445
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikx559 View Post
I got mine wired up by a fellow fanatic (Intleone) so that Bi-xenons turn by them selves when the stalk is pushed forward and flash to pass when you pull back. He also coded my car or lcm( I'm not sure) so it works properly.

I don't know exactly what he did, but he ran some wire from the projector solenoids to inside the driver footwell. From there on I don't know what he wired it up to.

If you want it to work like if it were oem, you should send intelone a pm for some help on what he had to do. If not then you can do the easy way and just tap into the high beams, but both highs will turn on.
Thanks for the acknowledgment. I coded your car for proper Bi-Xenon functions, allows fogs to stay on with highs, and the double euro hazards.

Once Bi-Xenon is enabled at the lcm pin 2 and 36 will have a +12v for operating the Bi-Xenon shutter when pushing the stalk forward. I used both pins to control each shutter individually by way of two contact bushings 61.13.0.008.998 at the lcm. No relay needed, just straight from the lcm to the shutter wires; ground the other contact wire by spicing into the ground for the high. To route the wires from the lcm, I snaked it through the electronic box fan, out trough the ecu box. Multimeter comes in handy.

To program, I used ncs expert. The BI_XENON might be set to aktiv for bi-xenons, but make sure these lines of code have the correct values. PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON will dictate if the inner halogen highs comes on when the stalk if pushed forward. If it is set to wert_01 you get the inner highs with bi-xenon highs. Which defeats the purpose of tapping into the lcm for the shutter pins. And you might as well tap the bi-xenon shutter to the halogen highs. Set it to wert_02 instead and that's how the bi-xenon is suppose to work. Stalk forward, shutter lifts, bi-xenon highs, inner halogen off. Flash to pass is vice versa, which makes only the inner highs turn on.

Code:
BI_XENON
Enables Bi-Xenon function on aktiv
aktiv / nicht_aktiv

PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON  
Halogen high beams with bi-xenons on wert_01
wert_01 / wert_02

BIXENON_EIN_BEI_LICHTHUPE 
Flash to pass is bixenon & halogen together
aktiv / nicht_aktiv
And since you're in there, might as well do the euro hazard, allow your fogs to stay on with the highs, and corner delete option. Depends on your cup of tea.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #446
Diazz

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci -01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikx559 View Post
Did you install the little rubber O ring?

Attachment 433423
Yeap
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #447
Erikx559

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diazz View Post
Yeap
I'm not sure if it makes the biggest difference, but the D2S projectors are a little taller and shorter than the H1 projectors. Maybe that's why it's not sticking out as far and the height is causing the issue of the shrouds not going in.
Erikx559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #448
Western Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
Thanks for the acknowledgment. I coded your car for proper Bi-Xenon functions, allows fogs to stay on with highs, and the double euro hazards.

Once Bi-Xenon is enabled at the lcm pin 2 and 36 will have a +12v for operating the Bi-Xenon shutter when pushing the stalk forward. I used both pins to control each shutter individually by way of two contact bushings 61.13.0.008.998 at the lcm. No relay needed, just straight from the lcm to the shutter wires; ground the other contact wire by spicing into the ground for the high. To route the wires from the lcm, I snaked it through the electronic box fan, out trough the ecu box. Multimeter comes in handy.

To program, I used ncs expert. The BI_XENON might be set to aktiv for bi-xenons, but make sure these lines of code have the correct values. PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON will dictate if the inner halogen highs comes on when the stalk if pushed forward. If it is set to wert_01 you get the inner highs with bi-xenon highs. Which defeats the purpose of tapping into the lcm for the shutter pins. And you might as well tap the bi-xenon shutter to the halogen highs. Set it to wert_02 instead and that's how the bi-xenon is suppose to work. Stalk forward, shutter lifts, bi-xenon highs, inner halogen off. Flash to pass is vice versa, which makes only the inner highs turn on.

Code:
BI_XENON
Enables Bi-Xenon function on aktiv
aktiv / nicht_aktiv

PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON  
Halogen high beams with bi-xenons on wert_01
wert_01 / wert_02

BIXENON_EIN_BEI_LICHTHUPE 
Flash to pass is bixenon & halogen together
aktiv / nicht_aktiv
And since you're in there, might as well do the euro hazard, allow your fogs to stay on with the highs, and corner delete option. Depends on your cup of tea.
Could I have this done at a Dealership for my 99 323i?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #449
trj

Alright guys, a bit off topic, but I did this retrofit with OEM bixenon projectors with xenon bowls in my halogen housing.
I am left with a big gap between the projector back end and the rubber boot that sealed the halogen bulb holder.
How/what to use to seal that gap?
There was a lot of snow today and I already see a lot of condensation inside the headlight : banghead :

Here is the picture of the back side of the light

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	435358

PS: my halogen bowls will be up for sale if any one wants it. Haven't put it in the classified section because I want to take care of the gap first.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #450
CarloCarbajale46

My Ride: 2000 323i e46
Someone know if i can put some projectors without taking my headlight off, can i do it just opening the lense and everthing?
CarloCarbajale46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #451
a325h

My Ride: '13 2.5SEL Jetta 5MT
Send a message via Skype™ to a325h
Carlo, I think it is possible to do what you ask, but I highly suggest that you take them all the way off to do this. Some of the angles are quite hard to get to while they are inside the car still.

It really isn't that hard to take them off, or put them back on.

TRS 5000K XB Bi-Xenons | ümmitza 6000K Opaque AEs | Metallic Tinting | LED Interior Lights
^2001 E46 325i^ SOLD

Current: 2013 SEL 2.5 Jetta 5MT
a325h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #452
trj

Did my halogen to bixenon swap with a lot of help from this DIY.
Thanks every one for the details.
Now, only to where to mount the slim ballasts?

PS: I have my old halogen bowls and replica shrouds for sale if anyone is interested.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=902522
Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #453
afstud

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6-speed
just did the retrofit on friday and turned out great, nice cut off and great light out put, took me about an hour and half with alignment and everything although a set of bulbs i got from TRS had one defective bulb so i exchanged em for the XB35 h1 4300k because i want the highest quality so il l have them tomorrow, I also had my car coded from a member and it worked, im also using e39 OEM ballasts with the set up.
afstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #454
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Could I have this done at a Dealership for my 99 323i?
No. Dealership tools cannot code individual parameters. And since you have a 323, your LCM does not support any of those functions. You'd need to get a newer LCM for the bixenon functions to be available.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #455
Western Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
No. Dealership tools cannot code individual parameters. And since you have a 323, your LCM does not support any of those functions. You'd need to get a newer LCM for the bixenon functions to be available.
Ok, so I would have to splice the high beam wire in order to activate the bi xenon function?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #456
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Ok, so I would have to splice the high beam wire in order to activate the bi xenon function?
That's what I would do in your position, yes.

You *should* still get your car coded for xenons, just so the LCM doesn't freak out over the ballasts. A dealership should be able to do that coding (though many of them don't seem to know how anymore)
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #457
deadwood83

My Ride: has an iron lung
Send a message via MSN to deadwood83
Well, I'm going to be joining the club in... some time now. I ordered the projectors and shrouds from TRS on Sunday so they'll be here tomorrow (Wednesday).

Unfortunately I was under some sort of spell Sunday night because I ordered 6000k bulbs and ballasts from DDM thinking they would be here by Saturday.

I saw a thread on HIDplanet where a modder made a 'shroud' that covered the solenoid, didn't obstruct bi-xenon functionality, and from straight-on showed the color he painted it. This is tempting to me since I now have probably have an ETA of 4 weeks to never on my DDM order. Kind of thinking purple for the solenoid cover and cutoff shield. White sedan w/ Mtech 2 when Khoalty decides to ship and lowered on eibachs next monthish.

I'll try to remember to post pics when it's done :p

I definitely need the 3m headlight lens kit or something similar though. At the least I'll need to combine my plast-x with a drill-mounted sponge applicator thing.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #458
Little Dragon

My Ride: E46s
How did you guys mount the shrouds?
Mine keep getting loose and falling out =/
Little Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #459
M-Spec Tuner

My Ride: 325i
You have to use high temp glue or rtv around the edge where they contact.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #460
a325h

My Ride: '13 2.5SEL Jetta 5MT
Send a message via Skype™ to a325h
If you have the shroud centric rings, follow the guide a few pages back. If not, use black RTV on the very edge of the projector being very careful to get none on the glass. It will take about an hour to dry enough to move the projectors around, and a day before you should drive with them.

TRS 5000K XB Bi-Xenons | ümmitza 6000K Opaque AEs | Metallic Tinting | LED Interior Lights
^2001 E46 325i^ SOLD

Current: 2013 SEL 2.5 Jetta 5MT
a325h is offline   Reply With Quote