E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #861
DiscoWagon

My Ride: Tony Kart Shifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnovice View Post
is there no shroud on there?

i am yet to do it, i am kinda freaked out about getting the cut off right and focus right.
I have the E46-R shroud on there. If there was no shroud you would see the guts of the projector. Getting them aimed correctly, etc. won't be too hard. After you take the headlights off and apart the first time, it just gets easier and easier.
DiscoWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #862
newnovice

My Ride: 2003 325i
Was there any cutting/sanding involved - or did the E46-R shroud go on the centric rings with no issues? (i dont want to glue the shroud onto the projector also)

I want to be able to remove them if I sell the car and re-use on my next ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoWagon View Post
I have the E46-R shroud on there. If there was no shroud you would see the guts of the projector. Getting them aimed correctly, etc. won't be too hard. After you take the headlights off and apart the first time, it just gets easier and easier.
newnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #863
Bimmekid91

My Ride: 2001 e46
DIY: hid retrofit on a budget! (for halogen lights)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379293114.873262.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	526670 better now

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379293093.407347.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	526669  
Bimmekid91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #864
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
That looks nice! Post a picture of the cutoff
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #865
Bimmekid91

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379393184.279066.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	526931not the best by far, but better than what I had

Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #866
DiscoWagon

My Ride: Tony Kart Shifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnovice View Post
Was there any cutting/sanding involved - or did the E46-R shroud go on the centric rings with no issues? (i dont want to glue the shroud onto the projector also)

I want to be able to remove them if I sell the car and re-use on my next ride...
No cutting or sanding required. I used some RTV to glue the shroud to the centric rings. One of the clips on the shroud broke on each projector (probably because I bought the budget ones) so I had to glue them. The centric rings fit onto the projector very snugly but can be taken off with ease to make adjustments.
DiscoWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #867
Bimmekid91

Last pic I swear.. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379481397.590768.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	527060 :') if you haven't yet done this mod or are thinking about do it you will not be disappointed .

Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #868
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
What angel eye brand is that
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #869
Bimmekid91

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
What angel eye brand is that
If your talking about mine, I got them from eBay like 1 and a half ago they're pretty good for $50

Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #870
eljay

My Ride: ///M
I am looking for some help mounting Morimoto ballasts to the bottom of the headlight housing.
If I mount it underneath the housing, will I be able to slide the headlight into its mounting location? (I never had the headlights out, so I don't know how much room is there)
I'm trying to mount the ballasts into the holes for the OEM ballast on the headlight housing, but pointing down rather then sitting on top of those holes.

Thanks!
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #871
eljay

My Ride: ///M
I am looking for some help mounting Morimoto ballasts to the bottom of the headlight housing.
If I mount it underneath the housing, will I be able to slide the headlight into its mounting location? (I never had the headlights out, so I don't know how much room is there)
I'm trying to mount the ballasts into the holes for the OEM ballast on the headlight housing, but pointing down rather then sitting on top of those holes.

Thanks!
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #872
Zpzp96

My Ride: BMW E46 330i

I'm wondering about wiring...

I believe the projector has some wires.. Also the bulb. How all wiring works?

Thanks

Zpzp96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #873
GreatFrog

My Ride: 2005 325i w/spt pkg
Quote:
its a bi-xenon, hook it up, get it flashed and just leave the highbeams for flash to pass lol
Is it possible to use only bi-xenon for high-beam and leave the halogen for flash-to-pass? Is there any recoding/splicing involved? or does the Mini H1 allows you to do it easily?
GreatFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #874
Innocennt

My Ride: 02' 330 vert
Just did this install on my 02' 330 vert, all went very smoothly.
I used the ddm-tuning hid kit, and got some angel eyes from them as well.
After patiently waiting until nightfall to test out the light output, they started flickering like crazy, to the point it would just shut off, turning off the lights and then back on would get them to turn back on, but just continue to flicker...

Should i do the capacitor trick i read about, or should i order a harness of some sort??

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Innocennt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #875
GreatFrog

My Ride: 2005 325i w/spt pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocennt View Post
Just did this install on my 02' 330 vert, all went very smoothly.
I used the ddm-tuning hid kit, and got some angel eyes from them as well.
After patiently waiting until nightfall to test out the light output, they started flickering like crazy, to the point it would just shut off, turning off the lights and then back on would get them to turn back on, but just continue to flicker...

Should i do the capacitor trick i read about, or should i order a harness of some sort??

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Just wonder, does it help to recode your LCM/LSZ?
GreatFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #876
DavidVonDee

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
question... if lets say i wanted to do the black to my non projector lights. will the light still be good?? like strong?? or will it be hard to see? i am getting hid's!!

NYC BMW Club on Facebook

DavidVonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #877
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Man this was a long and very informative thread. I've had lots of experience messing with headlights as my car came with halogens, and I purchased a set of DEPO projectors off of ebay years ago and originally was running Predator Chromium's and now have LED angel eyes. My big problem was that I went with the Ebay $30 HID kit, and of course, they worked great for awhile, but eventually I would get bulb out warnings randomly and frequently, most likely due to the crappy quality parts in the kit. It was so annoying and bad that I've since ripped them our and put halogen bulbs back into my projectors, and unfortunately for me and everyone that looks at my car at night, one bulb is round 6000K and the other is more like 4300K. So. F'n. Ugly.

I need to upgrade and am ready to. Here's my questions, please for those of you that have done this, offer me up some advice, I really need it and do not want to mess with this project more than once:

#1 Anyone know if the retrofit source will be doing another black friday/thanksgiving deal coming soon? Seems around the right time of year for this discount.
#2 I have DEPO projectors, but from what I've read, they suck in general, due to the poor quality of the glass lenses within. Originally, I was just going to get a new HID kit from The Retrofit Source and install them and be done with it and pleased that I finally had quality parts and a good warranty. However, after reading all of this... see #3:
#3 I have a spare set of OE halogen headlights sitting in boxes in my basement.

So in your opinions, what is best to do? Go with option #2, OR, use my spare halogens, and do the Morimoto H1 retrofit, then sell my DEPO's after I am all done.

My one issue is this: in the past, because of the Dbags who inspected my car here in MASS, EVEN though I was using legit projectors with the proper cutoff, I've heard "these are not the original lights, they are way too bright, and we cannot pass inspection." 100% BS and I was so pissed at this, but since it was easy to do, I pulled the HID kit and put halogen H7 bulbs in there and got reinspected with no issues.

So I kinda have the feeling that I will need to be able to easily swap the HID kit out for standard halogens if I need to. Which is the best option if I want to do that? keep the DEPO projectors and just get a new HID H7 kit from the Retrofit source? Does not seem like if I get the H1 kit I will be able to do the halogen bulb swap if I need to.

thanks for any advice, as it is getting much darker now, I have even more need for some good headlights as what I have right now are so pathetic, I can't even see at night! Not to mention the multi-colored rainbow coming from the differences in color.. argh.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #878
trizzuth

Man this was a long and very informative thread. I've had lots of experience messing with headlights as my car came with halogens, and I purchased a set of DEPO projectors off of ebay years ago and originally was running Predator Chromium's and now have LED angel eyes. My big problem was that I went with the Ebay $30 HID kit, and of course, they worked great for awhile, but eventually I would get bulb out warnings randomly and frequently, most likely due to the crappy quality parts in the kit. It was so annoying and bad that I've since ripped them our and put halogen bulbs back into my projectors, and unfortunately for me and everyone that looks at my car at night, one bulb is round 6000K and the other is more like 4300K. So. F'n. Ugly.

I need to upgrade and am ready to. Here's my questions, please for those of you that have done this, offer me up some advice, I really need it and do not want to mess with this project more than once:

#1 Anyone know if the retrofit source will be doing another black friday/thanksgiving deal coming soon? Seems around the right time of year for this discount.
#2 I have DEPO projectors, but from what I've read, they suck in general, due to the poor quality of the glass lenses within. Originally, I was just going to get a new HID kit from The Retrofit Source and install them and be done with it and pleased that I finally had quality parts and a good warranty. However, after reading all of this... see #3:
#3 I have a spare set of OE halogen headlights sitting in boxes in my basement.

So in your opinions, what is best to do? Go with option #2, OR, use my spare halogens, and do the Morimoto H1 retrofit, then sell my DEPO's after I am all done.

My one issue is this: in the past, because of the Dbags who inspected my car here in MASS, EVEN though I was using legit projectors with the proper cutoff, I've heard "these are not the original lights, they are way too bright, and we cannot pass inspection." 100% BS and I was so pissed at this, but since it was easy to do, I pulled the HID kit and put halogen H7 bulbs in there and got reinspected with no issues.

So I kinda have the feeling that I will need to be able to easily swap the HID kit out for standard halogens if I need to. Which is the best option if I want to do that? keep the DEPO projectors and just get a new HID H7 kit from the Retrofit source? Does not seem like if I get the H1 kit I will be able to do the halogen bulb swap if I need to.

thanks for any advice, as it is getting much darker now, I have even more need for some good headlights as what I have right now are so pathetic, I can't even see at night! Not to mention the multi-colored rainbow coming from the differences in color.. argh.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #879
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
I find it incredulous that some jackass at an inspection station can just say "these are too bright" without any kind of measurement or standard against which to measure. I'd do a proper install of the morimotos in your halogen housing and see what happens. Just because they're not "original" doesn't mean anything. This car came with xenons stock in some versions.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #880
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
I find it incredulous that some jackass at an inspection station can just say "these are too bright" without any kind of measurement or standard against which to measure. I'd do a proper install of the morimotos in your halogen housing and see what happens. Just because they're not "original" doesn't mean anything. This car came with xenons stock in some versions.
trust me, I was so f*n unbelievably pissed off, especially after stating clearly that they are dot APPROVED HID lights in OEM factory projector housings with the proper cutoff. I haven't gone back there since, but to avoid the hassel since it only took me 5 minutes, I just put halogen bulbs in and got reinspected and then took them back out again. This same place made me remove my BMW license plate frame because it is against Mass laws to have anything covering any part of the license place, even though mine only covered the part where it says "The Spirit of America" and you could CLEARLY see "Massachusetts" on the top. Idiots. Never going back there ever again. Same place told me I couldn't have high beams that are yellow, so I had to swap those out too. God help me if I had painted my bowls yellow, I'd have to re-paint them chrome!!! It was a Speedy shop, I hope they close down forever.

OK, sorry for rant, back on topic. My only problem now is that I am not ready to shell out $250 - $300 for the FX-R or other full retrofit which would replace the lenses and HID kit in it's entirety, I am only ready for the $160 HID kit now. However if the $250 is the RIGHT choice, I might just wait and do it right in the long run. Especially if there is a turkey day discount. Also, I am not concerned with the bixenon functionality since I don't want to deal with having my car coded to handle Xenon's, I only need the low beam xenon to work properly.

Bottom line: I would totally do this recommended retrofit as-is, if it did not suggest to buy the HID kit somewhere else I really really really want the retrofit source HID kit and their warranty.