E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 4.92 average.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #981
michalt95

My Ride: 02 325i MT
so after doing this retrofit which angel eyes would we need? The halogen ones or the xenon ones. (all 4 same size or 2 big ones and 2 smaller ones)
Or it doesnt matter? its for a facelifted 4 door
Old 06-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #982
michalt95

My Ride: 02 325i MT
so after doing this retrofit which angel eyes would we need? The halogen ones or the xenon ones. (all 4 same size or 2 big ones and 2 smaller ones)
Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #983
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
That shouldn't matter. The difference between the halogen ones and the LED ones are the color temperature. The setup should be the same for any color angel eyes for that matter, actually.
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #984
GreatFrog

My Ride: 2005 325i w/spt pkg
DIY: hid retrofit on a budget! (for halogen lights)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalt95 View Post

For a facelift sedan, you should by the halogen ones with different size for high/low beam. Although in mine case they are not perfect fit. But using xenon ones will definite give you serious trouble. Perhaps a $200 angle eyes will give you a perfect fit.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by GreatFrog; 06-01-2014 at 07:59 PM.
GreatFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #985
GreatFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
That shouldn't matter. The difference between the halogen ones and the LED ones are the color temperature. The setup should be the same for any color angel eyes for that matter, actually.

Size matters, you can choose different color temperatures regardless of halogen or xenon.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #986
lllRazorlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatFrog View Post
For a facelift sedan, you should by the halogen ones with different size for high/low beam. Although in mine case they are not perfect fit. But using xenon ones will definite give you serious trouble. Perhaps a $200 angle eyes will give you a perfect fit.

Isn't it on the facelift coupe where size matters, not sedan?
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:14 PM   #987
GreatFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Isn't it on the facelift coupe where size matters, not sedan?
I am not sure about coupe, but on my sedan the high beam and low beam have different diameters.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #988
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
If you're looking for a budget H1 Mini retrofit we recently received a shipment of the H1 MiniMoto units and are running a special on them for $55 off.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1042690
Old 07-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #989
umnitza

If you're looking for a budget H1 Mini retrofit we recently received a shipment of the H1 MiniMoto units and are running a special on them for $55 off.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1042690
Old 07-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #990
jaywood

My Ride: 2002 330i
I bought the Umnitza Minimotos and their Xenon HID kit (Canbus unit). Works great. They also included some shrouds (not E46 specific, but they were free so who can complain?). The shrouds were the biggest headache of the whole project. Just a lot of sanding/cutting to get it to sit right. They press fit onto the projector and require no glue/adhesive. I did sand the back of them extra to get them to be "pushed back" a bit just because I like the look better.

Overall, very happy with the results. I have no errors on my dash. The projectors are very bright. The cutoff might be a tad bit crooked, but it's not enough to pull the headlights apart (IMO).

I wired up the bi-xenon feature. I just tapped into the high beam wires. Cut and splice/solder. No vampire taps for me, never had good luck with those things. If anyone wants a picture of what I did, I can take some for you.

jaywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #991
umnitza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywood View Post
I bought the Umnitza Minimotos and their Xenon HID kit (Canbus unit). Works great. They also included some shrouds (not E46 specific, but they were free so who can complain?). The shrouds were the biggest headache of the whole project. Just a lot of sanding/cutting to get it to sit right. They press fit onto the projector and require no glue/adhesive. I did sand the back of them extra to get them to be "pushed back" a bit just because I like the look better.

Overall, very happy with the results. I have no errors on my dash. The projectors are very bright. The cutoff might be a tad bit crooked, but it's not enough to pull the headlights apart (IMO).

I wired up the bi-xenon feature. I just tapped into the high beam wires. Cut and splice/solder. No vampire taps for me, never had good luck with those things. If anyone wants a picture of what I did, I can take some for you.

Looks great. As the deals grow for different projectors we'll start getting more and more shrouds as well.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #992
speedspeedspeed

My Ride: Nimbus 2000
Just an FYI for those following this guide and the items.

Fitting the shrouds over the projectors will make your projector point downwards. The shrouds I ordered fits fine, no gaps between the shroud and the bowl and they sit on the reflector bowl, not on the edge. BUT the shrouds do not line up with the bulb hole, hence why the bulb points downward. I test fitted the shrouds before putting the projectors in. I thought the shrouds were perfect size since I didn't need to trim off any of it. BUT after I installed the projects, that was a different story.

If you do decide to trim off some of the shrouds to make it fit, you will have a noticeable gap (space between the edge of the shroud and the bowl). I'm still trying to figure out what is the best thing to do so there won't be any gaps.
speedspeedspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #993
speedspeedspeed

My Ride: Nimbus 2000
Just an FYI for those following this guide and the items.

Fitting the shrouds over the projectors will make your projector point downwards. The shrouds I ordered fits fine, no gaps between the shroud and the bowl and they sit on the reflector bowl, not on the edge. BUT the shrouds do not line up with the bulb hole, hence why the bulb points downward. I test fitted the shrouds before putting the projectors in. I thought the shrouds were perfect size since I didn't need to trim off any of it. BUT after I installed the projects, that was a different story.

If you do decide to trim off some of the shrouds to make it fit, you will have a noticeable gap (space between the edge of the shroud and the bowl). You also won't be able to adjust the direction of the light via the rotating screws or whatever you call them that is attached to the housing.

yes, I did order 4 shrouds just in case I was to make a mistake with them.

Last edited by speedspeedspeed; 07-19-2014 at 01:07 AM.
speedspeedspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #994
bimmerboy25

Which do I get from my 2003 325i 4dr, when it asks for the wire harness, do I get the "canbus h7, or relay h7" and what halos would I order for best fitment? Also are "H1" right bulb size??

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U-GZ3snD_qA

bimmerboy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #995
GreatFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy25 View Post
Which do I get from my 2003 325i 4dr, when it asks for the wire harness, do I get the "canbus h7, or relay h7" and what halos would I order for best fitment? Also are "H1" right bulb size??

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.U-GZ3snD_qA

If you are willing to code your LCM to accept xenon bulbs, then no relay or canbus harness is needed. Otherwise you'd better get the canbus H7. I bought with relay H7 and sold the relay on eBay because after coding the original H7 harness works just fine with the HID/ballast. As for angel eyes, I don't recommend TRS halos, as you see, the drop-down list only allows you to choose a single size, but your high-beam and low-beam are actually of different diameters. Also, TRS halos are full circle, rather than the eclipse shape of dedicated E46 halos. You also need to use thin metal wires to fix them onto your headlight housing, which seems a hassle to me. In contrast, the dedicated E46 halos have plastic clips to clamp onto the housing. Actually TRS used to sell dedicated E46 halos through basement special. They are probably sold out on them. I ordered a set of of them when I bought my retrofit kit last year, I never put them on and am selling it right now. Let me know if you are interested, you will need to source the clips and harness separately though.

And yes H1 is the correct bulb size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	568068   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (2).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	568069   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (1).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	568070   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (3).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	568071  

Last edited by GreatFrog; 08-05-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #996
bimmerboy25

Thanks for the help, yeah I thought the same for angel eyes, other kits listed differnt sizes for your lowbeam and high beam and they didn't have that option available. But thanks alot, as for purchasing your angel eyes, I think I'll pass on it, but thanks for the offer man

bimmerboy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #997
GreatFrog

That's ok. Glad you find it helpful. As for the angel eyes, I have already retracted the sale, so never mind.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #998
Epidemike

My Ride: 2004 330i
So Im a little confused about the bulbs and wiring when doing a projector retrofit, say using Morimito projectors. H7 halogens wont work in the projector (obviously) but does that mean you have to remove the H7 connector and wire up a Xenon bulb to the stock wiring? In all the guides I have come across I feel like the wiring is somewhat left out, maybe its just me.

Is it street legal to have a projector for highbeam use?
Epidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #999
lllRazorlll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemike View Post
So Im a little confused about the bulbs and wiring when doing a projector retrofit, say using Morimito projectors. H7 halogens wont work in the projector (obviously) but does that mean you have to remove the H7 connector and wire up a Xenon bulb to the stock wiring? In all the guides I have come across I feel like the wiring is somewhat left out, maybe its just me.

Yes, you see some cars like Audis or Benzes that have just a single projector when it comes to high/low beams and they are called bixenons. There are other cars as well from other continents that have the same setup
Old 08-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #1000
GreatFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemike View Post

The factory H7 socket will work with the H1 plug that comes with the Mini H1 retrofit kit. They are not meant to be compatible, but the dimensions are the same. You still need to force them to connect though. I trimmed the locking hook on the H1 plug a little bit to make it "click" in. You will know when you try it.

And yes, the high-beam is supposed to be through the projector, the Bi-Xenon feature. If you want factor look and function, then go with the Bi-Xenon and wire up the project shutter to your LCM, keep the inner halogens for flash-to-pass.