E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2016, 03:30 AM   #1
Gumbygoose

My Ride: 04 325i,91YJ,98ek
St class auto x best/experiences with 200tw tires

Decided to auto x this year with my 325i sedan. Only mods are a h&r cup kit(touring springs). Not ideal for track use I know, but enjoy the way it drives. This is not a track car build. My region only has 5-6 events a year. My current tires are Cooper zeon zpt (235/45/17) on type 44s. They just don't cut it. Lol I have a spare set of type 44s that I want to throw some 200tw tires on for next season. I've read the re71s are awesome, just wear fast, the bfg rivals are good and the star specs are good. I've personally owned 2 sets of dz 101s and 1 set of 102s(on my civic) and liked them well. I have no experience around the re71s. I have drove 2 Subarus with rival's. They do well for that car. Being that our cars aren't that light didn't know what would be best choice. So what's you all's opinions/experiences. Thanks in advance.
Gumbygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
klodkrawler05

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Both the Rival-S and the RE71 are the fast tires to be on if you want to compete. I've run both and personally prefer the feel of RE71's, either tire is capable of getting 75-100 competitive runs (even more if you aren't street driving them) provided you flip and rotate them regularly.

I typically see around 150 runs plus a couple thousand street miles on mine although the Rival-S did last a bit longer. Either one I'd say should get you through a season or 2 of auto-x at only 5 events per year.

The Dunlop ZII and the RS3 are both fun tires too, what they lack in outright speed they make up for in wear, for our guys that only do local events it's not uncommon for them to heat cycle the tire out before they wear out the tread.
klodkrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #3
Gumbygoose

Thanks for that bit of info. I also been debating in going to a larger tire size. Been doing some reading up on running a wider tire. I was debating on stepping up to 245/45 or even 255/50, but tires are more expensive with not much more contact patch. I'm not doing hpde so I believe I'll stick with my 235.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
Both the Rival-S and the RE71 are the fast tires to be on if you want to compete. I've run both and personally prefer the feel of RE71's, either tire is capable of getting 75-100 competitive runs (even more if you aren't street driving them) provided you flip and rotate them regularly.

I typically see around 150 runs plus a couple thousand street miles on mine although the Rival-S did last a bit longer. Either one I'd say should get you through a season or 2 of auto-x at only 5 events per year.

The Dunlop ZII and the RS3 are both fun tires too, what they lack in outright speed they make up for in wear, for our guys that only do local events it's not uncommon for them to heat cycle the tire out before they wear out the tread.
Good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbygoose View Post
Thanks for that bit of info. I also been debating in going to a larger tire size. Been doing some reading up on running a wider tire. I was debating on stepping up to 245/45 or even 255/50, but tires are more expensive with not much more contact patch. I'm not doing hpde so I believe I'll stick with my 235.
Lets talk about tire sizing:

Currently you're running a 235/45-17 which is a Mistake based on the fact it's to big, this tire is ~25.4" OD. Your Bimmer was designed to run a ~25" or less tire, so the moment you bolt on a larger OD tire you get 2 bad things, Extra unsprung weight & a Worse gear ratio.

You would want to stay in the ~24.4" to ~25" range to keep gearing good or great & unsprung weight down.

Going with either a 245/45-17 (~25.8") or 255/50-17 (~27.1") would be a Tragic Mistake for the above reasons.

Two good tires choices would be a 235/40-17 or a 245/40-17 depending on the manufacturer. My DD Toyo RA1 in a 235/40-17 is as big as some 255/40-17's but they weigh less & the gearing is way in my favor because their OD is 24.4".

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 11-18-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #5
matt270avian

My Ride: 2002 325XI
FWIW the Rivals are a great tire if you're not concerned with wear. I've driven them on a Miata and they were very predictable and controllable. Supposedly there's going to be some new options coming out in the spring for 200tw tires....

If money is an issue find your local autocross group Facebook pages. There's always someone looking to get rid of usable tires for cheap/free (that's how I got a set of barely used Maxxis RC1s for free).

Last edited by matt270avian; 11-23-2016 at 07:42 AM.
matt270avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
Gumbygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Good post.

Lets talk about tire sizing:

Currently you're running a 235/45-17 which is a Mistake based on the fact it's to big, this tire is ~25.4" OD. Your Bimmer was designed to run a ~25" or less tire, so the moment you bolt on a larger OD tire you get 2 bad things, Extra unsprung weight & a Worse gear ratio.

You would want to stay in the ~24.4" to ~25" range to keep gearing good or great & unsprung weight down.

Going with either a 245/45-17 (~25.8") or 255/50-17 (~27.1") would be a Tragic Mistake for the above reasons.

Two good tires choices would be a 235/40-17 or a 245/40-17 depending on the manufacturer. My DD Toyo RA1 in a 235/40-17 is as big as some 255/40-17's but they weigh less & the gearing is way in my favor because their OD is 24.4".

Rob43
I'm aware the current tire size is wrong. Let me explain.

Back in 2008 I believe when my mother still owned the e46 I was driving to st. Louis, had a gps radar detector and a Garmin navigation I was using. Both of these were reading 5mph slower than the speedo. Didn't really understand because it had a factory size wheel/tire combo. 225/17". When it was time to get new tires she told the tire shop this and they put the 235/45s on. The speedo is 1.5mph off now if you use compare it to a navigation/gps speed device.

I will step down to factory tire circumference size tire when I buy my auto x tires.

Thank you everyone that has gave me info. It is much appreciated. Me and 3 others are doing tire hunting also(they have 3rd gen firebirds). So we are going to talk to the local tire dealer and see if we can't get a multiple set tire deal. It's between rivals and re71s so far.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
Rob43
Performance Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbygoose View Post
I'm aware the current tire size is wrong. Let me explain.

Back in 2008 I believe when my mother still owned the e46 I was driving to st. Louis, had a gps radar detector and a Garmin navigation I was using. Both of these were reading 5mph slower than the speedo. Didn't really understand because it had a factory size wheel/tire combo. 225/17". When it was time to get new tires she told the tire shop this and they put the 235/45s on. The speedo is 1.5mph off now if you use compare it to a navigation/gps speed device.

I will step down to factory tire circumference size tire when I buy my auto x tires.

Thank you everyone that has gave me info. It is much appreciated. Me and 3 others are doing tire hunting also(they have 3rd gen firebirds). So we are going to talk to the local tire dealer and see if we can't get a multiple set tire deal. It's between rivals and re71s so far.

Good, don't buy an over sized tire like the 245/45-17 (~25.8") or 255/50-17 (~27.1") that you first mentioned, any of those wrong sizes would make the car handle like a pig. Unsprung weight would also be terrible.

Glad you've got it sorted out now...

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote