E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Convertible Glovebox Stuck Closed

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  The_Fixer 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
So my glovebox won't open. I've tried to unlock/lock it manually with the key and also with the remote, but no matter how many times I pull the handle it will not open. Is this a common problem? Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
So I turned the key all the way to the left and it opened it. Luckily I was able to find the problem. With the glovebox open I would pull the handle on the outside as if I were opening it, and I saw the little metal tabs on the inside slightly move inwards and then the further I pull the handle they shoot back to the lock/closed position....Is this issue related to the lock being loose?

#8 · (Edited)
OK, now my glovebox won't open. I tried unlocking/locking both the car and the glovebox. I tried turning the key ALL the way left and ALL the way right to no avail. Any other suggestions? I may have to take it apart, but I'm not sure I can if it's locked. I've searched and many suggestions say to "tighten the screws". Not sure how to do this if I can't get the glovebox open.

#12 · (Edited)
Keep in mind that by far the MOST glovebox latch mechanisms we see issue with are the convertibles.
The glove box on a convertible is tied into the central locking system. (Different from coupe/sedan)
This allows owners to store things in the glovebox, leave the top down and go to the beach etc. The glovebox locks with pushing the lock button on your key.

ANY convertible, at the very first sign of trouble with the glovebox lock.....Get in there and fix it!

#13 ·
When I first bough my Cabriolet more than 5 years ago, I could only open the GB with the key. After tightening the two screws on the latch, it worked normally but never did lock electronically when the top was down after I locked the car. While doing the FSR replacement a few years ago, which required removal of the GB, I found one of the wires was separated. A little work with a soldering iron and it's functioning just as BMW intended.

#14 ·
Wow. I didn't know it's supposed to lock unlock with the central locking system.

I just replaced my glove box frame because the previous owner had ripped theirs out due to it being stuck locked.

I didn't see any wires or cables for the latch though when I put the new frame in. I wonder if the previous owner ripped that out with the old frame. I'll have to get up in there and look now.

If so, oh well. My glove box locks and unlocks with the key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.