E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
jdhecker07

My Ride: 2000 323ci cabrio
Water in roof compartment

I have a 2000 323 and the other morning I pulled out of the driveway and heard a sloshing sound of water. I opened the top halfway and sure enough there was water inside the roof compartment. I did some searching on this forum and it turns out I have a bad seal somewhere and the drainage holes are clogged. I found directions on how to unclog the drainage holes but It seems like a very elaborate process and with my busy school schedule I just don't have the will power to do it.

Is there another way to unclog the holes? Can I use any type of drain de-clogging liquid like draino or liquid plumber without damaging anything?

I also was wondering if it is a specific seal that leaks or does it vary from case to case?
jdhecker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhecker07 View Post
Can I use any type of drain de-clogging liquid like draino or liquid plumber without damaging anything?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
YES,

Having done this last week, it is quite an involved process to clean the two drain holes under the gear mounting plates. And yes, I have pics, but am, how should I say, just too damn weary to spend the hours to recount my fun and games.

In hindsight, and now knowing where the drain holes actually are, I would try something rather different at this point.

I would get a tank of compressed air or those cans of compressed air and blow the crap out the area above the drain holes underneath the mounting plates. In my case one - just one - of those propeller seeds gently settled over the drain hole and over time collected enough dirt to clog up the surface of the drain hole to collect water three inches deep. So, I'd blow the hell out it first (when dry of course).

Then, I'd take some clear plastic tubing, connect it to a hose and stuff it under the mounting plates in the general area of the drain hole and pressure flush the thing with water to ensure it drained out the bottom by the rocker panels. And then proceed to continue flushing to just wash out any residual dirt.

If that didn't work, then I'd shoot myself in the head before unbolting the top again.

Capice?

EDIT: Would you pour liquid plumber on your paint job? Cause, dude, the drain is coated against water corrosion (i.e. rain) like the rest of your car.

Last edited by mach.schnell; 05-04-2011 at 09:54 PM.
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
jdhecker07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach.schnell View Post
I would get a tank of compressed air or those cans of compressed air and blow the crap out the area above the drain holes underneath the mounting plates. In my case one - just one - of those propeller seeds gently settled over the drain hole and over time collected enough dirt to clog up the surface of the drain hole to collect water three inches deep. So, I'd blow the hell out it first (when dry of course).
Sweet, I will try that first thing tomorrow. Where exactly can I find the gasket for the lid so that I can get to the bottom of this whole issue?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
mach.schnell

Quote:
Where exactly can I find the gasket for the lid so that I can get to the bottom of this whole issue?

The drain holes are put there on purpose. Your gasket is fine. From looking at the design of the gasket, water is channeled into the bottom of the gear wells to flow out the drain holes.

Stop the operation of the top with both the compartment lid and the back window up (open) as far as possible, and take a look.

And you might want to learn how to use RealOEM.com

Oh, btw, the hydraulics will lose pressure after 16 min. and your compartment lid and back windshield will fall down, so get something to prop them open for when that happens. I used a tall plastic laundry hamper positioned between the lid and the back windshield. Others use wood or poles or something.

I'm closer to posting some pics, but..... it is on my "to do tomorrow" list.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
mach.schnell

Quote:
I found directions on how to unclog the drainage holes .....
Well those pics should be enough to get you started if it's the post I'm thinking of.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
jdhecker07

I searched realoem.com and found a part. the number is 54318260803, they call it hood compartment gasket. would this be the part that is causing this issue?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Paul Schreiber

My Ride: Siennia red 330CiC
I have had the same problem recently with my convertable top compartment leaking into the trunk. What I found with my mechanic at DP Motorwerks was that the compartment drains located under the convertable top mounts were clogged. Once the obstruction was removed the water drained freely. problem is you can't see to drain holes so they must be blown out from UNDER THE CAR. In my case I had a piece of masking tape from a repair to the car covering it. If you have rouge water in your trunk check this first. Hope it helps!
Paul Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
TheHulk9er

My Ride: 2000 323ci Convert
Another thing that can make this worse is a bad fitting / worn out rubber gasket that seals against the lid. On my car the lid was not level so even after I cleared the drain holes I still had a problem whenever it rained hard or for a long time as too much water was getting into the compartment so it could not drain fast enough. I ordered a new rubber gasket for around $65 and viola problem fixed.
TheHulk9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
Suseer

My Ride: Cayman S
I have the same issue, "ninja" water was showing up in my spare tire area, battery area and part of the carpet soaked.

I'll be looking to get an air compressor soon to try this...does anyone know where underneath the car they drain out from? I think it would be much easier trying to blow it out from the holes under the car rather then in an area thats covered by the mechanism.
Suseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
mach.schnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suseer View Post
...does anyone know where underneath the car they drain out from?
I would be surprised if both drains were clogged. Open your roof half way, with the lid and window up as far as possible. Pour a cup of water into the gear well where the roof plate attaches to the body, then see which one drains and which one is clogged. Then you can look under the car to see where the water drains out to the road.

BTW just putting a beach towel in the gear well will easily absorb all the water that's backed up.

I have pics, but am still occupied with other things to post yet. Sorry.

Tags
boot, compartment, hood, top