E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #101
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
If you already have the Meyle HD control arms, the ball joints are replaceable. Why not just get new ball joints to save $?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #102
LittleBear

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
If you already have the Meyle HD control arms, the ball joints are replaceable. Why not just get new ball joints to save $?
Are many folks really doing this? I think I have to remove the control arms or the shop will to put them in a press, + the ball joint cost (neither of which I have checked out $$), + the alignment cost.... This way I just bang in the new ones, saving some time & trouble at least.
I could have the Meyle HDs fixed while the new Lemforderers are in the car for next time I need new control arms, which will probably be pretty soon I'm sure.

Murf
Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #103
Stinger9

I haven't taken a poll.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...21126253my.htm
http://www.oembimmerparts.com/produc...26758510my.htm
Gotta align no matter which way you go.

Rich=just buy whole new arms
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #104
LittleBear

Hi Stinger,
So that is $75. per side for ball joints, plus the machine shop charge (no idea how much) for pressing them in. So, maybe $100. per side or more?
Or $179. per side for new Lemforderer ZHP complete arms.
Decisions, decisions....

Murf

Last edited by LittleBear; 04-05-2014 at 08:32 PM.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #105
Stinger9

You got a plethora of machine shops in Bk to talk yourself into a good deal with them for pressing. It's a few minutes of their time, so reasonable guy might charge twenty bucks for whole deal.

Either way you will end up with good suspension parts.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #106
LittleBear

Quote:
You got a plethora of machine shops in Bk to talk yourself into a good deal with them for pressing. It's a few minutes of their time, so reasonable guy might charge twenty bucks for whole deal.
Either way you will end up with good suspension parts.
For me, much of the trouble is in the logistics. It would take longer, I would have to leave my car in pieces & jacked up on a public block, and ride my bike to the machine shop. So, it is a bit of a cost vs time thing. Next time I'll have the Meyle HD arms already out so I can check out the machine shops at my leisure.
Plus, I want to try the ZHP arms; maybe they do feel better!

Murf
Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #107
Stinger9

If you ever get to the point where you can feel different control arms, my hat's off to you!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #108
LittleBear

Quote:
If you ever get to the point where you can feel different control arms, my hat's off to you!
I know, I know. Actually, I hope they last a little longer....
But I do want to feel what the Lemforderer FCABs feel like compared to the Meyle HDs.

Murf

Last edited by LittleBear; 04-06-2014 at 08:39 PM.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote