E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
bmw2k

My Ride: 328i '00
plugs/coils issue

It was time to replace my spark plugs and so I did. Right after that my car started rough and I got misfir and coil error codes. (cyl#1) (before spk. plug repl. I had no problems w/ this particular coil. I did this during weekend, so I had to drive a car anyway. And 1 day later
rough idle went away. Then it statered again, and went away again...

Well, my coils quite old so, I got a new one to replace the one that was acting up.
And after I installed new coil... same sh@t..: rough idle, error codes.
Now, 1 day later rough idle is gone.

Is that a normal behaviour? i.e spk. plugs, connectors are new. cycl#1 coil is new
what could be the reason?

Thanks.
bmw2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
abeaujuin

My Ride: BMW?
Torque = 18lbs...

Get a torque Ratchet and make sure the plugs are torque to 18lbs. This is very critical. If not you will get backfire etc...
abeaujuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Deepeyes

My Ride: Sold
had the same problem recently but my car constantly ran rough idling at 500rpm or less, turned out to be my computer
Old 03-31-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
bmw2k

torque wrench WAS used. even assumung that old ignition coil went bad just because I took it out and installed it back. Hard to believe but that the case.. (i tried to put it on diff cylinders, only that coil threw CE and error codes) Buut, now, I have a new one.

Is there some kind of "adjustment" period? sounds ridiculous.... but why would computer go bad after spk. plugs replacement? on the other hand, as I mentioned, coil did just that.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #5
abeaujuin

My Ride: BMW?
Did you make sure to put the ground wire back on that first and last cyl the same way you took it off?
abeaujuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
bmw2k

yes. everything the way it was before.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Very rare but could be a bad plug?
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
i had the same exact problem last week...i posted on here and got some pretty good results....
Did you gap your spark plugs to 35?
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #9
bmw2k

The plugs were pre-gap(ed). i am using original NGK's.

The saga continues, btw. Started my car yoursterday - rough. went to store, started it again - all is good. and codes still poping up (coil and/or misfire cyl#1).
Frak! maybe it is a plug after all. I am going to put the old one in place.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=348199

Thats the thread i started...as you read further down you start to noticed that i had the same exact problem you had....I tried everthing thing and nothing worked...then i called my pops, hes a mechanic and told me that what i was describing to him could be the signs of water in the fuel lines...so i went to pep boys and brought a $2 dollar bottle of water gas remover and the car has been fine ever since....try it...its only $2 bucks
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #11
j323i

My Ride: 323i
get a new spark plug boot from bavauto. That is what caused my issues. They are only like 6 dollars, when they get older sometimes they will wear thin causing it to arch through the boot.
j323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #12
INGENIR

My Ride: 99 BMW 323i
Post Coil torque setting

Hey, I just completed replacing my spark plugs at 108000 miles with the original NGK's, and so far no error codes (yet). Did enough other damage that I may buy a new bumper...but that's another story.
When re-installing the inition coils to the plug, did you torque the bolt down, or how tight. Too much pressure could probably damage the valve cover and I don't want that, but don't want them to vibrate loose.
Any specs for this that you know or just wrench tight then an extra 1/4 turn?

By the way, if you order your plugs online and pick them up in the store, you can get them at Advance Auto Part or Murray's Auto for $6.96 each for the original NGK plugs.
Beats the heck out of the dealerships $22 for the same thing.

And you can still always return them if you have a bad plug.
Thanks!
INGENIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
bmw2k

I definetely have $2 to spare.... :-)
As a few more weeks passed, I have not been getting any misfire codes, but ignition coil code kept coming up, there was no a rough idle anymore but from time to time i felt engine was out of tact when I was standing on street lights. So i decided to use 2nd *new* ignition coil to try it instead the 1st one...
And... same sh@t all over again rough idle, misfire, CE light. next day rough idle is gone, and any cylinder i put the new ignition coil dumps the error code. so, it's not spark plug in 1st cylinder for sure.

The boots are all new. They were replaced w/ the spark plugs.

Btw, my old coils have "BMW 1 748 017 BREMI 11860" written on top.
The new ones have BMW 1 748 018 BREMI 11859" written on top.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
Liem

My Ride: bus pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2k
I definetely have $2 to spare.... :-)
As a few more weeks passed, I have not been getting any misfire codes, but ignition coil code kept coming up, there was no a rough idle anymore but from time to time i felt engine was out of tact when I was standing on street lights. So i decided to use 2nd *new* ignition coil to try it instead the 1st one...
And... same sh@t all over again rough idle, misfire, CE light. next day rough idle is gone, and any cylinder i put the new ignition coil dumps the error code. so, it's not spark plug in 1st cylinder for sure.

The boots are all new. They were replaced w/ the spark plugs.

Btw, my old coils have "BMW 1 748 017 BREMI 11860" written on top.
The new ones have BMW 1 748 018 BREMI 11859" written on top.
I have the exact same problem. I changed all the spark plugs to Bosch +4 but I'm still getting the misfire code. I'm getting a misfire on cyl 5 (code 1351). I replaced the the old coil pack with a new coil pack stamped 1 748 018 BREMI 11859 but still, the SES light pops up a day later every time I erase the code. Whenever the SES light pops up, I experience rough idle and lack of power. What I did notice was when the SES light does pops up, if I simply turn the ignition off and restart the car, the SES light will remain on but the car will run fine. Please update with any new info.
Liem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #15
jt330ci

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2k
It was time to replace my spark plugs and so I did. Right after that my car started rough and I got misfir and coil error codes. (cyl#1) (before spk. plug repl. I had no problems w/ this particular coil. I did this during weekend, so I had to drive a car anyway. And 1 day later
rough idle went away. Then it statered again, and went away again...

Well, my coils quite old so, I got a new one to replace the one that was acting up.
And after I installed new coil... same sh@t..: rough idle, error codes.
Now, 1 day later rough idle is gone.

Is that a normal behaviour? i.e spk. plugs, connectors are new. cycl#1 coil is new
what could be the reason?

Thanks.
the coils go bad on e46's. Get them all changed and the problem should be taken care of. I dont have warrany so when i got it done it came out to 950 for parts and labor at bmw. Its alot but my car was misfiring so i had to do it cuz i coulndt go past 50 MPH
jt330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #16
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Have you looked at this Service Recall. Your Bremi coils might be part of this, they are the bad ones, Bosch are fine. Second link is the actual Technical Service Bulletin, shows how to read the numbers and the symptoms.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...on+coil+recall
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...chmentid=49115

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 04-17-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:21 PM   #17
Liem

My Ride: bus pass
I tried to bring in my car for the coil pack recall but my car's vin didn't fall within the recall. What I notice is that my 02 325Ci uses the old style Bremi individual coil packs. The recalls where for the new style Bremi coils. See this link to identify both.

Old style

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...A1302_1-01.jpg

New style

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cgi-...12137551260-M9

I'm guessing the problem might lay further downstream to the ignition wires. I might check volts individually this weekend. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited by Liem; 04-17-2006 at 11:23 PM.
Liem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #18
bmw2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt330ci
the coils go bad on e46's. Get them all changed and the problem should be taken care of. I dont have warrany so when i got it done it came out to 950 for parts and labor at bmw. Its alot but my car was misfiring so i had to do it cuz i coulndt go past 50 MPH
it sounds kind of unjustified to replace perfectly working parts.... if the coil goes bad should not i have the error code thrown out? and I did get the error but only from 1 ignition coil. which i replaced and you know what I got after that...

It's been a 2 days now since I put 2nd new coil (to replace 1st one) the car is running fine. but the damn Ignition coil erro persists.

I dropped by the dealership and tried to exchange the coil "Bring car for the cervice and if service dept. confirms, then you can proceeed w/ exchange under warranty"...

Alex323Ci,
recall does not apply to my car.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #19
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I guess if you went to the dealership and showed them your old coil they would've told you if it was part of the Service Recall. So you would know.
But the recall isn't only if the car was made a certain year, it could have had the bad coils installed/replaced at one time during your service period. Mainly what is needed to know is if it's Bremi and made prior to week 42 of 2002 and/or from 1st week 2003 through week 24 of 2003. Also, since you're still getting a readout of a bad coil, I guess you have reset all the codes to get them out? Otherwise it'll be locked in there and still show even though you fixed the problem. You are probably saying "does he think I'm an idiot or somthing?"..but I do not mean to sound like that at all. Some people don't know about these little things, and though you may..someone else reading may not have and overlook it.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #20
bmw2k

my coils are Bremi and are dated 5/2000. (i clean up fault code after each readout)