E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Question for you CA fellas

I'm very sad to say (especially on this sub forum) but I will be moving to California in hte next few weeks. Now, I want to have at least 1 quality quality handgun that I can take. WIth the stupid 10 round magazine capacity laws in effect, I figure I'll make those bullets as large as possible. 45acp to be specific. I was planning on making a 1911 purchase this year anyways.

I browsed the list of 1911's available and my top pick wasn't on the list, springfield TRP. Does Cali law allow me to buy in gun in free air (CO) and bring it into CA when I drive cross country? Or does the gun have to be on the DOJ list before i even own it?

Thanks. Never thought I'd have to ask
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
I'm very sad to say (especially on this sub forum) but I will be moving to California in hte next few weeks. Now, I want to have at least 1 quality quality handgun that I can take. WIth the stupid 10 round magazine capacity laws in effect, I figure I'll make those bullets as large as possible. 45acp to be specific. I was planning on making a 1911 purchase this year anyways.

I browsed the list of 1911's available and my top pick wasn't on the list, springfield TRP. Does Cali law allow me to buy in gun in free air (CO) and bring it into CA when I drive cross country? Or does the gun have to be on the DOJ list before i even own it?

Thanks. Never thought I'd have to ask
You can import guns into CA that are not on the DOJ list. One way, is to do what you said and buy the gun before you move, then register the firearm when you do (as long as it has a 10 rnd mag and no "evil features" you should be good).

Second, once you are in state, you can purchase guns not on the DOJ list via the single shot exemption and a friendly FFL.

FYI - you can also bring your AR/AKs as long as you install a bullet button (or similar mag lock device) and get yourself some 10 round mags. You can also keep all your high-cap mags, just disassemble them so that they become "parts" instead of an "ammunition feeding device".

Visit www.calguns.net for tons of great info on guns in CA.

To which part are you moving?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
I can't speak for CA laws in regards to what firearms you're allowed to have (learning that is depressing enough), but I can tell you that your travel is federally protected under FOPA

FOPA covers interstate transfer while traveling such as your case (moving)

GREAT post on this subject:
http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...tml#post466811

Quote:
926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:
*******>********>
A.
The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;
B.
The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;
C.
The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose
D.
The firearm is unloaded
E.
The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
F.
The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
G.
If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
H.
The person is not

*******>********>
a convicted felon
a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or
an illegal alien
I
The person has not

*******>********>
been adjudicated to be a mental defective
been committed to a mental institution
been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or

renounced his United States Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-06-2011 at 01:09 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Rush4theYehO

Thanks guys. Got some reading to do.

Ender, I'll be in Pasadena.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
You can get the CA legal TRP here, it is on the list so no problem.
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

PC9105LCA (rail)
PC9107L (stainless)
PC9108L (armory kote)

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 05-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Rush4theYehO

So based on my (half hearted) reading, I believe I can bring a gun, so long as transportation rules are all followed. I am going to be buying a MC operator and bringing it with me. Off to ze fun shop!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Make sure that you aren't bringing any short barreled rifles into CA. Throw a bullet button on, disassemble your standard capacity magazines and bring whatever off-roster pistols you want.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Rush4theYehO

I'm moving Weds. Nervous as hell.