E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
bmwFreakazoid

My Ride: 03 325 I
Painting rear suspension coils

I just purchased new rear spring coils for my 2003 325 I. I am planning to re-paint them with a few coats of rust-oleum paint to stop any rust that may form. My old springs broke after rust penetrated the paint. Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by bmwFreakazoid; 05-08-2011 at 10:16 PM.
bmwFreakazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
LittleChrist12

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325xi
I would worry about it. All new springs come painted. It wasn't corrosion that broke the rear spring, its a common problem on our cars. It happened to me at 37k miles and I replaced it with a new OEM one. It was on the car until I put new Eibach springs on at 96k miles. Just replace both rear springs and you should be fine for quite a while.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
Rust penetration has nothing to do with spring failure. Stress does.
If it's not something about cosmetical mod, I suggest you to leave it as is. You're just wasting money and time.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
You are correct that it was rust that broke your OE springs. Those springs however were also faulty which was the combo that led to the failure.

However as stated, springs already come painted. If you paint them again, the paint only going to crack when the springs are used as that paint isn't made to flex with the springs.

Don't worry about it. Take a look at older BMWs such as e36's and e30's. The rear springs are often completely rusted on the exterior but the springs themselves are still fine.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
oem spring are going to be powder coated. which are much better and stronger paint protection than any basic rattle can Rust-oleum . I'd just make sure you have decent bottom rubber spring pads. When the spring pads wear through the metal and touches the aluminum it can exacerbate premature failure. But stress is the main culprit.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
oem spring are going to be powder coated. which are much better and stronger paint protection than any basic rattle can Rust-oleum . I'd just make sure you have decent bottom rubber spring pads. When the spring pads wear through the metal and touches the aluminum it can exacerbate premature failure. But stress is the main culprit.
A) Rust is a byproduct, corrosion is the reaction.
B) Corrosion does weaken the integrity of the springs and thus can shorten the life and lead to them breaking a bit sooner than may normally occur.
C) Two dissimilar metals touching can create a corrosion cell on its own, so definitely keep a good spring pad in place if corrosion has you worried.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Spray paint on a flexing spring will flake off. The coating as to be flexible.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
ShaTR

My Ride: 2004 325xi
I know this is an old thread, but since i'm about to replace my rear springs, i was thinking of plastidipping them. Should be able to flex easily enough, and provide at least some protection, and thereby extending spring life. Hopefully by a substantial amount.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
You are correct that it was rust that broke your OE springs. Those springs however were also faulty which was the combo that led to the failure.

However as stated, springs already come painted. If you paint them again, the paint only going to crack when the springs are used as that paint isn't made to flex with the springs.

Don't worry about it. Take a look at older BMWs such as e36's and e30's. The rear springs are often completely rusted on the exterior but the springs themselves are still fine.
I had an E36 M52 21 years old. Rear spring went at 240K. Can't complain. God that was a good motor. Should have kept it and had it refurbished instead of buying the one I have now. It was a far better build quality back then.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaTR View Post
I know this is an old thread, but since i'm about to replace my rear springs, i was thinking of plastidipping them. Should be able to flex easily enough, and provide at least some protection, and thereby extending spring life. Hopefully by a substantial amount.

Thoughts?
I don't think so. The springs are under constant blasting of road debris kicked up from the tires. Think of them bring lightly sandblasted everytime you drive. Plasti dip will not withstand this at all. Also once plasti dip starts to peel it just keeps going.
The only coating durable enough to bend, as well as withstand the dirt and rocks, is powder coating.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
ShaTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
I don't think so. The springs are under constant blasting of road debris kicked up from the tires. Think of them bring lightly sandblasted everytime you drive. Plasti dip will not withstand this at all. Also once plasti dip starts to peel it just keeps going.
The only coating durable enough to bend, as well as withstand the dirt and rocks, is powder coating.
interesting theory. The argument would then be, 'my rear bumper and lower front door, which gets hit by much more tire kickup than a spring, suffers very little damage'.

I think the coating that's on the springs, whether paint or powder, will eventually crack off due to stresses. My theory is that the plastidip would hold that chip in place without breaking (perhaps bulging out a bit), thereby protecting the raw metal from the elements. Hopefully, this would hold off corrosion, at least for a while. Again, just my theory.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaTR View Post
interesting theory. The argument would then be, 'my rear bumper and lower front door, which gets hit by much more tire kickup than a spring, suffers very little damage'.

I think the coating that's on the springs, whether paint or powder, will eventually crack off due to stresses. My theory is that the plastidip would hold that chip in place without breaking (perhaps bulging out a bit), thereby protecting the raw metal from the elements. Hopefully, this would hold off corrosion, at least for a while. Again, just my theory.
no because the door and bumper aren't in constant flex.

i think it has to do with holding in moisture for corrosion aswell.

if you're talking about the plastic-dip spray i doubt that would hold up. now if you're talking about the industrial tool dipped type i can not say. it would have to be perfectly clean of any corrosion prior to coating.
it could help some. not sure if it would be worth the effort.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
ShaTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
no because the door and bumper aren't in constant flex.

i think it has to do with holding in moisture for corrosion aswell.

if you're talking about the plastic-dip spray i doubt that would hold up. now if you're talking about the industrial tool dipped type i can not say. it would have to be perfectly clean of any corrosion prior to coating.
it could help some. not sure if it would be worth the effort.
Well, we're talking about new springs here. I mentioned i need to replace my spring(s).

The spray is the same stuff, just goes on thinner. I would probably go with the brushed on stuff though anyways.

Tags
coils, rear, springs, suspension kit