E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Freija

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights problem

Hey guys!
So I have a set of LED tail lights for my FL Sedan. I believe the manufacturer is Eagle Eye. For some reason the right side amber signal leds has been going out. At first, the bottom row of LEDs stopped lighting, but then soon after the row above it went out. I'm now down to 4 LEDs.
I opened up my trunk and tried to check out the PCB, but from what I see the connections are still okay. Have you guys have any similar problems? Any ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks for your help guys!
Freija is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
StahlBlau3

My Ride: '99 328i, '88 528e
I want to know too...I have had mine for about 2 years now and I am having 4 led's clustered in the turn signal corner that do not light up. Want to know if I can fix it myself but would need to know the exact brand and part number of led to replace with so they are still the same.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
There is someone on the forum that fixes the lights. You can probably swap the leds with new replacements if you are handy with that stuff.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Got_S54?

My Ride: 2002 M3
I have the same problem - 4 LED blinkers went out. After inspecting them, I discovered that only 1 LED is actually dead, but they are wired in series sets; therfore, 1 bad LED prevents the other 3 from lighting up.

I placed an order today for an LED which I'm 99% sure is identical. As soon as it arrives, I'll be able to confirm whether the color and output match the other LED's and will post a very informative DIY on how to repair the Eagle Eye LED taillights. FYI, the LED costs $0.25 each FTW.

Stay tuned.......
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
StahlBlau3

My Ride: '99 328i, '88 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_S54? View Post
I have the same problem - 4 LED blinkers went out. After inspecting them, I discovered that only 1 LED is actually dead, but they are wired in series sets; therfore, 1 bad LED prevents the other 3 from lighting up.

I placed an order today for an LED which I'm 99% sure is identical. As soon as it arrives, I'll be able to confirm whether the color and output match the other LED's and will post a very informative DIY on how to repair the Eagle Eye LED taillights. FYI, the LED costs $0.25 each FTW.

Stay tuned.......
That would be extremely helpful for me should you post up a diy for this fix and include it with the led output number and or part number and place you purchased them at. Looking forward to the diy, keep us posted! Thanks!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
BruceRee

My Ride: BMW 330i
I have the same problem. Only 1 row of LED's works on either side now. This is actually really dangerous in my opinion. If I had known this would happen, I would have never bought these fixtures. They're now out of warranty and I'm SOL. Who would've known LEDs burned out so quickly? I thought these things last forever....
BruceRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
eric_waltrip

My Ride: 2000 blk 323ci 5spd
so I'm attempting to fix mine but iv got all the screws out and clips but have no idea how to get the PCB out to get going il just jeep searching if any one knows how maybe I can help with tge electronic side of DIY
I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos
eric_waltrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Hi guys, not to threadjack, I just bought a used e46 coupe. And it came with(lets say, I inherited) the burnt LED's on rear turn signals and rear tail along with the purchase of the coupe. By reading the posts here, I am pretty much sure the tails I have are EEs. I am posting the pictures to get the forum's opinion.
I have searched up and down the forum, found some posts where people are successful in just swapping the LED's.
I am not much of a pro in soldering, but I can give it a shot. I just wanted to know, what LED's are these and where to get them.
I see a few posts above about a DIY coming soon, I am ready to give it a shot but only if I knew what and where to find the LED's.

The driver side, the blinker LEDs are out, only 4 of them work.
The passenger side, two column's of LED do not work.

Anyone know any info about these lights and what LED they take?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0082[1].jpg
Views:	176
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	419124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084[1].jpg
Views:	186
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	419125  
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
My tails are EE too. Took a few pictures when I converted my turns to sequential. Ignore the cut trace on the lower left and my black markings. They were guides for me for my project. You can see that they are wired in series of 4. Five sets of smd resistors, and you have 20 total leds, plus a diode at D1. If 1 led goes out, it breaks the circuit in the series and the 3 other leds in the series will not light up. From looking at the pictures they appear to be superflux lumileds. Hope that these pictures are helpful.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
When this happens to me, I'm just switching to RCRs and junking these

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
trj

Sure it helps intelones.
But I still dont know what LED's to get superflux lumileds and where to get them.
Do you have the part number that you used in your eagle eye ones? And where can I find it, online, local anywhere?
I tried to go to the link in http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...98&postcount=8
but the link is dead now.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
intelone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Sure it helps intelones.
But I still dont know what LED's to get superflux lumileds and where to get them.
Do you have the part number that you used in your eagle eye ones? And where can I find it, online, local anywhere?
I tried to go to the link in http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...98&postcount=8
but the link is dead now.
You can cross reference the part number from the latter portion of the urls you listed with digikey.

Red Piranha
Amber Piranha

I can't give you part number since I didn't have to rebuild any leds in the array in my build. I had no burnt LEDs, therefore I just left all the EE's leds alone.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
trj

Thanks buddy, I will check it and order it.
Will try to get my hands dirty and see how it comes out.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
trj

ordered.
Found the same ones that were on that post link.
attached the picture with the full part number, just in case someone else needs it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED order.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	419328  
Old 10-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
Bimmekid91

My Ride: 2001 e46
I was just about to order some like that :S
Bimmekid91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
trj

Received the order, 20 red and 20 amber. tested them with multimeter, all works.
Removed the tails from the car, but couldn't open it.
Removed the 3 philips screws on the back of the tail and tried to pull, no go.
I saw a post in which someone used razor blade to open the lights, but I am not good with blades.
Is there any other way to dismantle these eagle eye tails? some trick tab or hidden screw?
getting impatient now, with 40 LEDs in front of me.
Any DIY's that I missed where it gives steps to open these suckers?
Trust me I searched.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
intelone

I first approached this problem first by trying to bake my tail lights in the oven. This method was not new to me, since I've baked headlights and tails from other cars before with success. However, my eagle eyes tails and my oven didn't want to cooperate. And I feared that I was going to melt the plastic if I upped the temp.

I whipped out the dremel and opened it from the back. Used a shop vac to pick up the plastic shavings. I only needed to cut out the turn signal portion for my project. I cant speak for the brake light portion because I did not remove it.

Either bake it or cut it open from the back. I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that's the two I can think of. Your approach may differ. Maybe other members can offer an insight into this predicament.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
trj

Hmmm. will search more and wait till next weekend to tackle this.
I am against baking as well. I don't have access to dremel, live in an apartment so don't have a place to store tools.
But will try to hacksaw it or use blade, which I don't want to.
Thanks.
can't wait to experiment, but just want to make sure I am doing it the right way (if there is any)
Old 10-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
trj

Got it done on the driver's side tail lamps yesterday.
Went the dremel tool way, borrowed one from a friend.
I cut the lights inside my room in the apartment, now the carpet is full of plastic dust
Checked LEDs with multimeter.
5 LEDs were burnt out
Desoldered and replaced all 5.
Works great.
Although the leds I ordered appeared different physically, when I installed it the light output is the same.

Will do the passenger side next time, because it involves the Red LEDs and will have to cut out the bottom portion.

I do have a question to intelone( or anyone who knows) though, what did you use to attach the cut piece to the light assembly? right now I just used electrical tape to get it to stick

Will post a DIY after I am done with passenger side and figure out what to use to attach the cut plastic piece.

Special thanks to intelone for posting the pictures, and giving answers to my questions.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #20
intelone

Looking at the data sheet of your LEDs, it looks like they are an inverse cone shape with a viewing angle of 120. Superflux lumileds which looks like the ones that EE tails uses are dome shaped with more of an acute viewing angle. Those looks like the only specs that are different. But what matters is that you got them running again, and that you are confident that they look the same as the originals on the board.

As for securing the plastic backing, I think it was held by a screw or two, no? That turn signal plastic backing has 1 of 3 threads that secures to the car, which is secured by the aforementioned 1 or 2 screws. Its very rigid once that's screws are back on. If it helps, you can always use black silicone to seal it back up. I didn't use silicone, since I was in my testing phase of my sequential turn signals, and wanted easy access to the leds.

As for the brake portion I can only speculate how that tear down will go. Since I've never went in there myself. However there are no secure threads attach to it, so rigidity shouldn't be compromised when installing it back on the car. Good luck with the other side, and I hope this thread can help others with their tail light problems.

Tags
eagle eye, led, problems, tail light