E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
tooredhots

My Ride: '01 325ci vert
Top Trouble - Solved!

My top was acting strange, it was only wanting to go up halfway. This was a sudden problem on the way to work, flawless operation prior to this.

I had read that others with this problem had fluid and pump issues, but mine looked fine, fluid level was fine, color and consistency looked fine.

I had also read about others replacing the harness that runs the length of the top's frame, from front to the back of it. I inspected it visually and can see why the wiring can fail, it is tucked up close to the frame, and folds with it when the top goes up and down.

I striped back the black webbed cover over the harness at the first fold, and found a broken wire. The wire that failed was a green with white stripe. It broke in two, a few others looked as if they may fail in the future, but not broken, yet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I broke out the soldering iron, heat shrink, and a bit of extra wire and replaced the broken section. The top now operates as it should, plus it saved me a trip to the dealer.

I already had solder, soldering iron, several different gauges of wire, and heat shrink, so total cost to fix was $0.

If I have wiring problems again with this harness, I will just pony up the $200 for a new wiring harness and replace it myself. Seems fairly straight forward, just unscrew a bunch of clips and replace the harness. For now, it didnt cost me a dime, just a couple hours this evening.

Bone stock, style 68s FTW!

Last edited by tooredhots; 05-11-2011 at 01:16 AM.
tooredhots is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Thanks for posting. I've had my eye on this wire bundle and may have to fix mine soon.

I'm also wondering if that gas strut shown in your first pic could be the reason my top frame slams down in the front when closing. I'll remove it this Sunday and try to see if it seems weak.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
Excellent post. I had very similar issue when I first bought the car. Unfortunately my wiring flaw was not so clearly defined and required dealer diagnosis. 4 hours later they found it but only charged for 1 hour labor plus harness.

Tags
top stuck, top trouble, top wont go up