E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #21
e46vert

My Ride: 330ci
go with the glock 19....just bought me one.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #22
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
OP said he's a complete amatuer. I don't think that he needs to go shooting at golf balls, paint cans, and reactive targets just yet. He needs to take a few lessons from a certified pistol instructor and enjoy tearing the hell out of paper targets while learning the fundamentals of shooting.

Just my opinion of course...
He's fine with a .22, a bulk box of 550, and some trash laying around in a field. I learned by sneaking my fathers .22 while he was at work and killing rats in a field. The rifle was as tall as I was.

Truthfully, if he wants some instruction he needs to do his research and not let some joe blow with a weekend certification that works at the shooting range train him, theres alot of quacks out there that will do nothing but teach bad techniques.

Case in point, a local range had a certified instructor (he was also a certified glock armorer) that tried to teach a kid how to kill somebody with a glock and keep the spent casing inside the gun. The kid, infront of the instructor, placed his thumb loosely behind the slide and pulled the trigger. I was there when it happined and I am suprised that kid did not sue. That guys gone now (in jail for using gunshop records to rob a house) but its not uncommon to find unqualified people that have certifications in the firearms world.

Check out a appleseed event first if you have never shot before, yes the name is lame and it annoys me to the third degree but these guys specalize in teaching new shooters. You really need a .22 rifle like a 10/22 for this.
http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

If you want some good pistol instruction contact IDPA, they will find a qualified instructor for you.

Try and find a local gun forum, theres will be tons of guys that will let you shoot there guns, give you some tips, and show you whats good and whats not.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #23
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
I find Glocks uncomfortable to hold. I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and I love it. Accurate, easy to handle, high capacity, not too expensive to shoot, easy to clean...

My vote goes to S&W.

Bimmer App made this happen. Don't be jealous.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
tailo

I'm actually getting a first gen glock hopefully in a week or so.

I'm taking the amtrak auto train on my honeymoon and I cant bring any guns with me on the train, not even locked in the trunk.

A friend that I have known for a while on a gun forum is going to sell it to me so I have something to drive back home with.

Interesingly enough this train trip will be the first time in 8 years that I have been unarmed
Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #25
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailo View Post

I'm taking the amtrak auto train on my honeymoon and I cant bring any guns with me on the train, not even locked in the trunk.

A friend that I have known for a while on a gun forum is going to sell it to me so I have something to drive back home with.

Interesingly enough this train trip will be the first time in 8 years that I have been unarmed
You are aware that you may be committing a felony with that purchase.

Also, you are allowed to transport firearms on Amtrak trains, checked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-13-2011 at 09:05 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #26
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Springfield XD 9 compact in two-tone. My father has it. Great gun extremely accurate.

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #27
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:

As of December of last year you can.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1248542758975
Old 05-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #28
tailo

Yeah, you can on a train that has checked luggage.

The auto train does not have checked luggage and they do not consider a car to be secure. I've done called them, its a no-go. If they find a firearm or ammo when they check your car you will be asked to leave and comeback when its gone, plus the loading station is in DC so its not the best idea to be around that area with a handgun.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #29
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Tailo: You saw my post about purchasing the firearm from your friend? I looked up the "Auto Train" and it looks like it only goes from VA to FL.

Are you intending to train your car to FL from VA and purchase a firearm from a FL resident? You mentioned:

Quote:

First: If I'm reading your post correctly, what you are intending to do is illegal. Due to FEDERAL law, a VA resident (you) can't purchase and take ownership of a firearm from a FL resident (your online buddy) when out of your state. It would need to be transferred at a FL FFL and shipped to a VA FFL.

Second: Although private firearm sales are legal in FL according to STATE law, they must be between in state residents. Your FL friend may be breaking the law by selling you a firearm, you being a non-resident.

Third: You can buy it (at a FL FFL), but you have to have it shipped home, negating your ability to "drive home with it". Taking possession, then driving home would be another law broken which FEDERAL FOPA would not protect you.

IANAL: Just giving you some things to research before you proceed.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-13-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #30
tailo

yeah I did alittle research about it, thats defiently not a option. I would but I dont want to risk getting pulled over on the way back up. I've done told him that I'm not going to do it.

This will be the last time I use amtrak, from now on I'll ship the 330 where ever I need to go and fly to it.

Theres no laws why you cant take a gun on the train, its just amtrak policy. Only 1/3rd of there trains offer checked baggage so I'm going to be unarmed for 2-3 weeks. I'm not happy about this at all.

Last edited by tailo; 05-14-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #31
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
yeah I did alittle research about it, thats defiently not a option. I would but I dont want to risk getting pulled over on the way back up. I've done told him that I'm not going to do it.

This will be the last time I use amtrak, from now on I'll ship the 330 where ever I need to go and fly to it.

Theres no laws why you cant take a gun on the train, its just amtrak policy. Only 1/3rd of there trains offer checked baggage so I'm going to be unarmed for 2-3 weeks. I'm not happy about this at all.
True, Amtrak has a firearms policy, but much more important than that, there are also state and federal travel/purchase/possession laws that both you and the seller would be breaking as well. It's not just about the travel (although that is a big one), it's the multiple felonies you'd be committing. If it's a really good deal, buy it in FL, but make sure you go to an FFL in FL to transfer/buy it and then ship it to a VA FFL.

And yes, Amtrak has very little routes with baggage check... makes their "firearms policy" almost null.

Take care man

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-14-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #32
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I love Glocks, but Gen1's are just disgusting. lol
Old 05-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #33
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-TK View Post
I love Glocks, but Gen1's are just disgusting. lol
no kidding. I don't even have a Gen 1. I bought my first Glock over 15 years ago and its a Gen 2 for God's sake.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #34
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
The glock 19 is a great gun, its really hard to kill one. I've been trying to kill a 19 and a 34 for a couple years now. When they finally die I'm going to cement them in to the sidewalk of my house, it'll look cool.

So far we've managed to lock the slide shut on the 19 once because of a well placed shot on the barrel hood (we beat it open on a cender block and it worked fine)

The 34 failed once becaue of never cleaning/dirt inside. We pissed on that pistol and it worked fine after that (searously, piss fixes guns, fixed a dirty ak47 like that once also)
Be carefully firing a gun with piss on it. The piss can vaporize from heat and ammonia will start to eat the gun. It's highly corrosive. Works in a pinch to wash stuff off, but also dangerous for vapors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
Before you pick your caliber, think about what your intentions are and how much you want to spend.

If it's going to be purely a target/range gun, then .22 might be a great choice. You can get a high quality target pistol for your stated price range, and the very low cost of .22 ammo will keep the price of range trips down. However, you may find yourself getting bored with it after a while.
Some ideas in .22:
Ruger .22 series (lots to choose from, I like the stainless target)
Browning Buckmark (also lots to choose from, I love my UDX Plus)
Beretta NEOs (never shot one but heard good things)
Sig Mosquito (fun plinking gun but sometimes ammo picky)
Walther P22 (fun plinking gun, much smaller than the above)

9mm is a great second option as it's a full powered round you could easily use for self defense, and also provides a little more difficult shooting experience, giving you more to master. It's also the cheapest of the center-fire pistol cartridges and one of the easiest to find. That said, it's a hell of a lot more expensive than .22. Some ideas in 9mm:
Glock 17/19
Springfield XD 9
Sig P226 (more expensive than your stated budget but totally worth it IMO)

Lastly, I'd suggest going to a range that rents firearms and trying out a selection of different guns and calibers before you make an investment in one. Research rarely is that fun.
This.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #35
superfreak

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Before purchasing a handgun, I would suggest taking a gun safety course as well as applying for a gun permit in your local ordinance as I am sure they have laws there in Jersey! good luck with your shooting and a Taurus is a good beginner gun and you can find some preowned at very reasonable prices.
A
superfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #36
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
no kidding. I don't even have a Gen 1. I bought my first Glock over 15 years ago and its a Gen 2 for God's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Be carefully firing a gun with piss on it. The piss can vaporize from heat and ammonia will start to eat the gun. It's highly corrosive. Works in a pinch to wash stuff off, but also dangerous for vapors.

This.
WTF I've never heard of this.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #37
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
If your intent is for home defense, there's no denying the reliability of a Glock.
Got my tiny G26 back in '94, it still shoots just fine.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #38
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I'm about to purchase my first handgun soon too. Debating between a XDm 9mm and glock 17/19/34/26. Hopefully local range has them all for me to shoot. Thinking about a walther p22 for fun also. My old roommate had one and it was definitely a blast to shoot. Would be good for my gf too.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #39
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfreak View Post
Before purchasing a handgun, I would suggest taking a gun safety course as well as applying for a gun permit in your local ordinance as I am sure they have laws there in Jersey! good luck with your shooting and a Taurus is a good beginner gun and you can find some preowned at very reasonable prices.
A
OP is in NJ. He literally has a better chance winning the lottery than getting a CCW.

OP: just in case, on range days, always have the gun unloaded, mags empty and in separate bags. Also, travel directly from your home to range and range to home. Dont stop for anything, not even gas

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #40
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-TK View Post

WTF I've never heard of this.
It's from pissing in the old WW1 water-cooled machineguns when you ran out of water. Okay in a pinch, but not a permanent solution due to high corrosion.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote