E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Meyle Control Arms

Anyone have a Meyle control arm do this after 5 km's of road use?

Brandon_Ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
jpr

My Ride: '99 323i
I've had mine on for well over 10k miles and no issues - yours is in fact the first documented failure I've seen. Please keep us up to date on how Meyle treats you in the warranty process.
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

Wait a sec. Are the ball joints suppose to pop out? With a bit of searching through the archives, I'm confused on whether these are "replaceable balljoints".
Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
peanut_man

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport Pkg
You are supposed to be able to press them out for replacement later on when it's worn. But it should not come apart while on the car like that. Scary thought.
peanut_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut_man View Post
You are supposed to be able to press them out for replacement later on when it's worn. But it should not come apart while on the car like that. Scary thought.
So, is it a defect with the control arm? Or did my local installation shop bend me over when they sold me an OEM control arm to replace the Meyle? I needed my car operational asap so I didn't have the luxury to re-order over the internet.

I guess the install shop took me for the stereotypical BMW owner. Rightly so too, I see.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
jpr

It is a pressed in, replaceable ball-joint. But under no circumstances should it be popping out on it's own while driving. If that's what happened, then something is definitely wrong.

FWIW, I emailed a link to this thread to Meyle USA at http://www.meyleusa.com/suggest.htm
Old 10-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I'm running Meyle too. Replaced during the summer and already have about 6k miles on them. I'm really hoping this is competely abnormal and not indicative of something that will eventually become a recall item.

Subscribing!

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
what did it feel like when that happened?
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
meyleman

My Ride: Toyota Highlander
Cool Inner Ball Joint becomes loose in E46 Control Arm

I am the MEYLE Technical Rep in North America and this is the first time I have seen this problem. Since the inner ball joint itself is pressed through the bottom of the arm and the ball joint itself has a big lip on it. By looking at the posted pictures it looks to me that the ball joint became loose in the hole and started to wobble back and forth making the hole oblong. It was also probably accompanied by some noise. It does not look like the ball joint was pulled completely through the hole and was completely separated from the arm because there is still material in the hole to stop the ball joint retaining lip from coming through.

Since it was detected only 5km after being installed it was either caused by a manufacturing flaw or an installation abnormality. It would be good to know if there were other products installed on the vehicle in conjunction with the control arm. What type of control arm bushings were being used. Were both the ball joints moving freely in the ball pin housing cups? I definitely would like to inspect this arm.
meyleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyleman View Post
I am the MEYLE Technical Rep in North America and this is the first time I have seen this problem. Since the inner ball joint itself is pressed through the bottom of the arm and the ball joint itself has a big lip on it. By looking at the posted pictures it looks to me that the ball joint became loose in the hole and started to wobble back and forth making the hole oblong. It was also probably accompanied by some noise. It does not look like the ball joint was pulled completely through the hole and was completely separated from the arm because there is still material in the hole to stop the ball joint retaining lip from coming through.

Since it was detected only 5km after being installed it was either caused by a manufacturing flaw or an installation abnormality. It would be good to know if there were other products installed on the vehicle in conjunction with the control arm. What type of control arm bushings were being used. Were both the ball joints moving freely in the ball pin housing cups? I definitely would like to inspect this arm.
Thanks for joining in! I think it's absolutely fantastic to be able to get the straight dope direct from the manufacturer and bypass all the typical rumor, innuendo, and other BS.

One question I've got that I wasn't able to find an answer to on the Meyle website is just how much force does it take to intentionally press out an old ball joint and press in a new one? Also, is there a limit on how many times a balljoint can be replaced on a given control arm?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #11
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious I6 View Post
what did it feel like when that happened?
I was going under 20 km/hr at the time while making a right hand turn. I went over a small bump in the pavement during the turn. An unusual clunk sound came from the driver's side front wheel well. After that, my toe in/out alignment was so far out that I had to tilt the steering wheel @ 1-2 o'clock or about 45 degrees from centre in order to drive straight.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyleman View Post

Suspension is an H&R Cupkit with about 20,000 km. Control arm bushings are powerflex with the pre-pressed housings that bimmerworld sells. These were straight out of the box brand new.

Yes, you are correct. The ball joint did not go through the hole because of the retaining lip and the that fact that it was held by the ball joint nut. I have this control arm in my lap right now, and both ball joints can be moved freely by hand with a bit of force.

Here's another closeup pic...

Old 10-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #13
jpr

I'm trying to visualize what caused the toe change - did the taper end pop out of the control arm bushing?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
I'm trying to visualize what caused the toe change - did the taper end pop out of the control arm bushing?
No, the tapered end on the control arm was still in the powerflex control arm bushing. Was it all the way in? I can't remember, but I do recall checking to see if the powerflex bushings had worked their way out if the pre-pressed housings (I recall a few threads about that). The bushings were fine.

Basically, the ball joint remained in its installed position. It was the control arm that tilted to a higher position when the centre ball joint popped loose. After a visual inspection from a head-on view, my driver's side rim was noticeably pointed outward while the passenger's side was straight (with steering wheel centre)

Last edited by Brandon_Ottawa; 10-05-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
jpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_Ottawa View Post
No, the tapered end on the control arm was still in the powerflex control arm bushing. Was it all the way in? I can't remember, but I do recall checking to see if the powerflex bushings had worked their way out if the pre-pressed housings (I recall a few threads about that). The bushings were fine.

Basically, the ball joint remained in its installed position. It was the control arm that tilted to a higher position when the centre ball joint popped loose. After a visual inspection from a head-on view, my driver's side rim was noticeably pointed outward while the passenger's side was straight (with steering wheel centre)
I think I see it now - the tilt was with the outer ball joint higher than the lower ball joint?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #16
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

Quote:
I think I see it now - the tilt was with the outer ball joint higher than the lower ball joint?
Yeah, sorry...centre ball joint = outer ball joint. Here's a pic posted by Ivegotissues666 that I stole from another thread to illustrate what happen (and it's the wrong side, but oh well).

Basically, the pre-pressed ball joint came loose out of the control arm. Since the ball joint has a nut torqued down on the threaded end, it could not go anywhere but pivot. The control arm is what really moved to throw off the alignment. The control arm tore through the black rubber on the ball joint's threaded end and came to rest in a tilted position (higher than the lower ball joint).

Old 10-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
jpr

My apologies, I'm still confused - let me try this again -
* the ball joint in the middle of the arm, being closer to the centerline axis of the car, is the "inner" ball joint. This joint bolts to the subframe, pc 1 - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=31&fg=05
* the ball joint on the end of the arm is the "outer" ball joint, and this piece bolts to the kingpin by the wheel.

With the inner ball joint no longer firmly attached to the subframe, I'm picturing the car squatting a bit at the subframe support with the arm sloping upwards from the inner balljoint towards the outer balljoint. Or is it the opposite?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #18
DesertMotorWorks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2004 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_Ottawa View Post
So, is it a defect with the control arm? Or did my local installation shop bend me over when they sold me an OEM control arm to replace the Meyle? I needed my car operational asap so I didn't have the luxury to re-order over the internet.

I guess the install shop took me for the stereotypical BMW owner. Rightly so too, I see.
So you are saying the indy shop you took it to put on OEM Control Arms and not the Meyle HD's?

If Meyle's were put on, your Control Arms should be stamped with the Meyle logo:

Last edited by DesertMotorWorks; 10-05-2007 at 07:21 PM.
DesertMotorWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #19
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

Quote:
My apologies, I'm still confused - let me try this again -
* the ball joint in the middle of the arm, being closer to the centerline axis of the car, is the "inner" ball joint. This joint bolts to the subframe, pc 1 - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=31&fg=05
* the ball joint on the end of the arm is the "outer" ball joint, and this piece bolts to the kingpin by the wheel.

With the inner ball joint no longer firmly attached to the subframe, I'm picturing the car squatting a bit at the subframe support with the arm sloping upwards from the inner balljoint towards the outer balljoint. Or is it the opposite?
My apologies too. It is the inner ball joint that we are talking about. Sorry for my lack of basic terminology. It would be more accurate to say that the control arm popped free from the inner balljoint (since the balljoint remained fastened securely to the subframe). There is an aluminum retaining lip on the balljoint and control arm, so it is not possible for the control arm to dip towards the ground with the balljoint fastened to the subframe. Instead, it is only possible for the control arm to move to a higher position when separated from the ball joint. This is what happend. The control arm came to rest in a higher position at the inner balljoint and sloped downward to the outer balljoint.

This is the bottom of the control arm (this side faces the ground). The aluminum retaining lip in the control arm doesn't allow the control arm to fall to the ground if it pops free from the balljoint.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #20
Brandon_Ottawa
1st FULL '02 ACS 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMotorWorks View Post
So you are saying the indy shop you took it to put on OEM Control Arms and not the Meyle HD's?

If Meyle's were put on, your Control Arms should be stamped with the Meyle logo:
For clarification: I had a set of new Meyle HD's put on Oct 3rd. I went back on Oct. 4th to have the left Meyle HD changed out for a Lemforder control arm since they did not sell Meyle and I could not wait 2 weeks for a replacement. They disposed of my old arms so I could not revert to what I previously had. I now have a car with a right Meyle HD and a left Lemforder. I had no choice since I needed my car asap.

$475.27 CDN for the Lemforder and labour. That's $484.62 US now.

I suck.

Last edited by Brandon_Ottawa; 10-05-2007 at 08:19 PM.