E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
ptrcd003

My Ride: .
ABS + ASC Light DIY

So for the past few months, I've been having my ABS + traction light come on and off, until it permanently stayed off. I replaced a damaged looking sensor, but that didn't help. Got the codes scanned, said pump failure. I took the module out to send it to get rebuilt, but decided to try it myself. Dremeled the case open (hardest part). 5 minutes of soldering later, ABS + traction lights are off and everything works. There were two noticeably cracked solder points, but I touched up all the connections to be safe. Heres what the module looks like inside:

http://i.imgur.com/s66T2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ELn42.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cjri8.jpg

The two contacts in the 3rd image were the visibly damaged ones.
ptrcd003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
323iINt.o

My Ride: 328i
Where was the module located?

NEED SMOKED CORNERS AND MARKERS, PM ME IF YOU GOT SOME!
323iINt.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
GuitarmanTT

My Ride: 1999, E46 328i
HOLY PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs I'm going to try tomorrow if this works you will be my new hero!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
323iINt.o

Did you have to remove the hydraulic lines to disconnect the module.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
ptrcd003

The module is under the brake canister. Remove the cabin filter assembly, and the entire corner comes off with one clip exposing the module. Its still a b*tch to get out though. But the hydraulics were not removed.

Last edited by ptrcd003; 05-18-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
The module is under the brake canister. Remove the cabin filter assembly, and the entire corner comes off with one clip exposing the module. Its still a b*tch to get out though. But the hydraulics were not removed.
you got the module off without taking the brake line hydraulics out? do you have a better how to for this?

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #7
330ciandr6

Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
. I replaced a damaged looking sensor, but that didn't help.
Stupidest thing i have read on here in a while. Why in the hell would you replace a sensor that "looks" damaged before scanning the codes?
People on this forum amaze me.

Quote:
OMG everyone on this forum told me it wasn't possible even though I have done it before.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
323iINt.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
Stupidest thing i have read on here in a while. Why in the hell would you replace a sensor that "looks" damaged before scanning the codes?

OMG everyone on this forum told me it wasn't possible even though I have done it before.
yeah but 330ciandr6 your a mechanic if I remember correctly. You have skills/tools that us general DIYers dont have.

So what Im asking you is, would me (a general DIY with a slightly upgraded mechanic tools) be able to complete this? Or would it be easier just to drop it off at a mechanic and save the headache?

Ive done CCV, vanos seals, suspension work, headers install, brake upgrades/flush, what you think?

And do you know if the ASC module is VIN CODED? (If I got one from a junkyard for example, will it need to be re-programmed?)

Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
ptrcd003

Quote:

Because the sensor wire looked damaged/fraying and my buddy gave me a free sensor, so I decided to try that before getting the car scanned. Is that good enough for you or do I have to justify everything I do to my car for you?

In terms of getting the module off without removing hydraulic lines, just pull the whole ABS pump up a bit. The lines give you some flexibility so you can move the module up and access the screws.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
330ciandr6

Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Because the sensor wire looked damaged/fraying and my buddy gave me a free sensor, so I decided to try that before getting the car scanned. Is that good enough for you or do I have to justify everything I do to my car for you?

In terms of getting the module off without removing hydraulic lines, just pull the whole ABS pump up a bit. The lines give you some flexibility so you can move the module up and access the screws.
Everytime someone posts on the forum that their abs light is on, every single other person instantly says speed sensor when 90% of the time its not. Guessing is never a way to fix a problem especially on a car. Honestly if I saw a speed sensor with a little split in the wire or something and got a free one, hell, i'd probably try it like you did. I definatley wouldn't buy one though without scanning it. I'm just sick of everyone thinking they know what they are talking about everytime someone posts with abs lights. Didn't mean to sound like a dick, and also didn't know you got it free, sorry, just figured you were another one of those guys that listened to everyone on here and just threw speed sensors at it.

Oh and yes...the module has to be coded to vin.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
ptrcd003

Yeah, no worries, in my first threat everyone said to replace all 4 sensors, which made no sense to me.

@ 323iINt.o

The easiest would be to go to a mechanic and have them take the module out for you. Then you can cut it open, solder, etc., and try putting it in yourself. If the module is out once, its easier to move the abs pump to remove/install it again in the future.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Everytime someone posts on the forum that their abs light is on, every single other person instantly says speed sensor when 90% of the time its not. Guessing is never a way to fix a problem especially on a car. Honestly if I saw a speed sensor with a little split in the wire or something and got a free one, hell, i'd probably try it like you did. I definatley wouldn't buy one though without scanning it. I'm just sick of everyone thinking they know what they are talking about everytime someone posts with abs lights. Didn't mean to sound like a dick, and also didn't know you got it free, sorry, just figured you were another one of those guys that listened to everyone on here and just threw speed sensors at it.

Oh and yes...the module has to be coded to vin.
I had that problem on my previous 01 325i intermittent DSC/Amber Brake light maybe once or twice a year and it ended up being a DSC module fail.

on my 2000 323i the speed sensor failure does not interfere with ABS. ABS works independent based on input from the brake pedal and also can be summoned from the DSC module via all of its corresponding sensors. My speed sensor failed nearly two years ago and blessed me with no DSC but ABS can still be accessed by good old fashioned human input
As soon as that speed sensor failed I realized how much easier it is to keep DSC off by simply not replacing it
Now, DSC is full locked out and I wouldn't replace the speed sensor it if you paid me.... by the way, sorry for the "off topicry"

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 05-18-2011 at 05:43 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
ptrcd003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPR77 View Post
I had that problem on my previous 01 325i intermittent DSC/Amber Brake light maybe once or twice a year and it ended up being a DSC module fail.

on my 2000 323i the speed sensor failure does not interfere with ABS. ABS works independent based on input from the brake pedal and also can be summoned from the DSC module via all of its corresponding sensors. My speed sensor failed nearly two years ago and blessed me with no DSC but ABS can still be accessed by good old fashioned human input
As soon as that speed sensor failed I realized how much easier it is to keep DSC off by simply not replacing it
Now, DSC is full locked out and I wouldn't replace the speed sensor it if you paid me.... by the way, sorry for the "off topicry"

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say, but without a speed sensor ABS won't work as the car doesn't know the speed of that particular wheel. Unless you're trying to say that you can just threshold brake without the need for ABS?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
I don't quite understand what you're trying to say, but without a speed sensor ABS won't work as the car doesn't know the speed of that particular wheel. Unless you're trying to say that you can just threshold brake without the need for ABS?
+1 On this

Maby he's talking about the steering angle sensor ? That would disable the DSC but not ABS.

However a 323 should not have a steering angle sensor or DSC for that matter..
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
A 323i should not have DSC?
Maybe you thought they didn't

Mine does have DSC, production MO/Yr :11/99 perhaps earlier E46'S builds have the ASC.

In my humble interpretation/understanding of DSC the speed sensor along with steering angle etc...communicates to DSC module
The DSC module then engages the ABS module applying brakes to the spinning wheel.
So isn't the ABS downstream in signal flow?
In my case the ABS still operates from brake pedal input, however ABS can't be accessed from DSC module because i chose not to replace my wheel speed sensor.

I was not trying to say anything different than what i stated. Simply reiterated... My DsC is off permanently, which for me is GREAT! my ABS still works under hard braking verified by its unmistakable feeling.

I race it every week approx 23miles where i find the ABS still kicks in every now and then.

Is this really anamolous? or is it possible that you assumed DSC is exactly the same configuration throughout the E46's production run?

Respectfully,
Michael

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #16
Skippy1999

My Ride: 1999 328I
is there anyone out there, does the soldering? im not the soldering type to attempt the repair. but my issue just started
Skippy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #17
druvi

My Ride: E46 320D
Recoding Procedure

Hi Guys,

Would anyone know the exact re-coding procedure. What tool would you use - INPA (NCS Expert) / DIS / PA-Soft ? Would like to go the Junkyard route since the modules are so expensive, but I believe you would need to code the VIN into the old module. Would really appreciate someone who has gotten an old unit re-coded walking through the procedure.

Cheers,
Druvi
druvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #18
Alex Pappas

My Ride: 1999 328i
guys can i drive the car with no abs module attached to the pump? I want to send mine to module masters and cant have my daily driver out of commission.
VMR 18 staggered 710, Eagle Eyes led smoked tails, smoked Depo corners and sides with amber led, dual bulb carrier for trunk lid lights, H&R sport cup kit, M3 trunk lid spoiler, AC Schnitzer roof spoiler, black out grilles, license plate delete, 03' 3 spoke sport wheel, m3 strut bar, shadowline trim, p46 head lights, LED amber 3000k Angel Eyes, custom painted engine covers, BSW speakers, AFE stage 1 CAI-oiled filter.
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pappas View Post
guys can i drive the car with no abs module attached to the pump? I want to send mine to module masters and cant have my daily driver out of commission.
I don't see why not. You wouldn't have ABS or anything like that, and your Electronic Brake Distribution wouldn't be working (meaning your rear wheels could lock up more easily than usual) but it shouldn't be any different than the module simply failing. That happens, and you can still drive (and stop).
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #20
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
I would a also like a walk through on recoding my dsc. I have the 5df5 internal failure code so I know the module is bad. Ate mk60....can't be fixed

ive heard pa soft will do this but mine doesnt have that option...it will do everything but that

UPDATE.....ncs expert will recode a used module.
Bba re manufacturing can sometimes fix these.
I would buy a newer used one and just recode it
931-252-1650 text me if you need help with it

Last edited by glhx; 08-17-2014 at 08:30 PM.
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote