E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
vertdust

My Ride: e46 vert
diy needed: convertible/vert alarm install

So i searched.. and searched. Didn't seem to find any diys out there for convertible alarm installs.

I've found plenty of coupe ones, but I need one for verts. here's what I found so far:
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_alarm.shtml
http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/alarminstall/index.html
vertdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
vertdust

My Ride: e46 vert
^
vertdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
jnusser

My Ride: 97 540i/6, 03 330i
Looks pretty straightforward if you have a pre-2004 'vert. I'm going to install mine this weekend and there are only 2 components (siren under the hood & tilt sensor in trunk).

If you have the full kit, i've read that you have to do something with the center console.
jnusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
BobSC

My Ride: 01 330Cic, 07 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertdust View Post
So i searched.. and searched. Didn't seem to find any diys out there for convertible alarm installs.

I've found plenty of coupe ones, but I need one for verts. here's what I found so far:
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_alarm.shtml
http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/alarminstall/index.html
Either one of these will work. I installed it in my 2001 and it is just the piece above the battery and the siren in the trunk. There is an additional sensor you can put in the car itself, but I didn't install it.

Both of these DIY threads you have listed will work for a vert. It is pretty easy, although you will have to have it programed by a dealer for it to actually function.

2007 750Li (Sold)
2001 330Cic
2000 328i(Sold)
2004 X3
2012 X3
2012 750Li
BobSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
The newer Vert alarm 3/04 is a bit more expensive as there are actually 2 interior motion detectors. Additionally you need to cut the rear part of the console (behind the rear ash tray) and install a $16 console extension for the rear most motion detector that needs to be ordered to match the interior color.

No need to really write up a DIY as you should be able to get any BMW parts department to print out the instructions for the alarm install. This is a requirement for the parts department when the alarm kit is sold. There is large yellow sticker on the outside of the box that instructs the parts department to print the info from the BMW ASAP system. This is because they offer the instructions in about 10 languages and it is easier to pack one alarm kit and have the local parts department to provide the language specific instructions.

Console dis-assembly is toughest part (although not too difficult), and it is really the only difference from the coupe or sedan. The under hood siren install and the trunk mounted tilt sensor are the same for all versions of the car.

I still need to do the console work on my '06 Vert, just waiting for the weather to break a bit and to have time.

If you want instructions for a 3/04 or newer Vert, PM me and I should be able to e-mail you a PDF of the install instructions.

jfoj

Last edited by jfoj; 02-04-2010 at 10:47 PM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Instructions for OEM alarm install for newer E46 Convertible. Note that only US/North America spec cars come prewired from my understanding. I believe you can retrofit a non US/North America spec car with this kit, however, it is a LOT of effort and requires quit a bit of wiring, vehicle disassemby and special order connectors. Unsure how much effort is required to program an non US/North America spec the car, but I believe this has been done.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E46 Cab Alarm Newer.pdf (419.3 KB, 452 views)
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
jakmobile

My Ride: 06 Mystic Blue M3
jfoj, I recently bought an 06 vert m3. How can I tell if the car is prewired for the alarm? The dealer quoted me two different prices on installs and he said it depended on whether or not the car was prewired.
jakmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
This is what I did. Then added DEI shock and tilt sensors to it, and instead of just one buzzer I used 2, one on each side of the car. Sounds/works great...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=761104
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I don't see the thing in the trunk that shows that mine is pre-wired for the alarm. Anyone know how difficult that is, and how much that would cost? John

EDIT: Decided to do some searches and apparently the US E46s are already prewired... I'm guessing just my "pre-wired" labels are missing.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete

Last edited by johnrando; 05-11-2011 at 12:32 PM.
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
jakmobile

My Ride: 06 Mystic Blue M3
Took the trunk apart and found the wiring for the alarm but I didn't have the sticker. Order the full alarm from Tischer and have installed most of it except I can't find the plug for the interior motion sensor.
jakmobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm diy