E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
nz328ci

My Ride: 328ci
328ci poor performance and rough idle/acceleration

Hi all

I am new to E46Fanatics and to start this threat on a positive note - I am loving my 1999 328ci BMW e46!

However, I am experiencing a heart breaking problem...

Recently the car started to have a shake/shudder feeling during idle and the shake/shudder continued into acceleration. Also, the performance is very poor compared to what it used to be. Much slower acceleration and has that weird "misfire" sound to it.

The strange thing is when I reset the ECU by turning ignition on for 30secs then off for 30secs then back on it runs fine - no shudder and great performance but only for about 1 minute and then its back to how it was!

I have searched Google, YouTube, Forums - the works! All i can see is that this problem seems common? Also, nobody seems to have found a clear answer..

I have some time on my hands this weekend and would love to fix this problem so I can get back to appreciating my BMW and its power!

ANY and ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!!

Sam
nz328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
The car is about 12 years old. What sort of recent maintenance have you done?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Deah7

My Ride: 330i
Could be vanos seals.
Deah7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
I'm going to suggest either spark plugs or injectors/injector seals. I would lean towards injector seals.

My guess with what you are describing is that the car is missing like you say it sounds like. With it being fixed temporarily after shut down, it sounds like the injectors are not sealing and then when you fill the rail with pressurized fuel on start up, its enough to get them to work until the pressure bleeds off.

Do you smell any gas?
jared_wiesner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
what is a injector seal?

and i say change out your vanos seals intake filter fuel filter spark plugs and then see how it performs
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
O-rings on the injectors. Likely the injector to fuel rail side. The vanos seals are possible but an overused diagnosis. His symptoms are not typical of vanos.
jared_wiesner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
TLP_E46330

My Ride: 97 m3 & 09 x5
why not start simple and do a tune up? e.g. plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, etc. and see if that fixes it. if not then o well because now you have fresh tune up parts on your car you dont have to worry about

///M Power
TLP_E46330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
idle, misfire, poor performance, shake, shudder