E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
chmiel21

My Ride: 2004 325i
Unhappy Loss low end power today, any suggestions on what to check first?

Hey all, i searched a bit and i feel like there are a vast amount of possibilities here. So i figured i would toss out some symptoms and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Hey everyone, recently came across some power loss issues. All started today: when taking off and up to about 3k rpm in first gear i don't feel any power being put down. The car doesn't pull the way it was beforehand, same thing goes for 2nd gear.. Haven't had any engine work done in the past while and i've been driving for about 3 weeks since i took if out of winter storage. I did recently change the oil to Mobil1 0W-40 about 300km ago.

Also when downshifting 3rd to 2nd i notice the car doesn't slow as much, it basically just engages. I am not that mechanically savvy yet so i don't really have the knowledge to begin diagnosing my own problems so any pointers would be great

Figure I could check out the Spark plugs tomorrow (although i would be getting misfiring symptoms wouldn't I?) and maybe the MAF and check all electrical connections by the engine.

Thanks for any input you guys have

Oh also it's an 04 325i with about 127,000 km

Brake upgrade next!

Last edited by chmiel21; 03-24-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: addition of car info
chmiel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
Try the usual suspects first.

- Spark Plugs
- Air Filter
- Fuel Filter

You may also want to try running some fuel injector cleaner or some fuel treatment to burn off any gunk that may have accumulated on your injectors. If you are planning on doing the fuel filter run some Seafoam through your gas tank (search seafoam there are tons of thread on how to do this). You will want to replace the fuel filter shortly after because it will break up all the gunk in your gas tank and fuel lines. Good luck and post any result updates!

PS. Are you running running premium fuel as well? If you run low octane or cheap gas it will cause the computer to degrade your performance to compensate for the low octane.

PSS. It's probably not your MAF otherwise you would more then likely have a rough idle and or even throwing a "lean" code generally. You can buy CRC MAF cleaner from any auto store for about $6USD. Just shoot the electrical component in the MAF tub with a few short bust. Wait for the cleaner to dry (within a few mins) and then replace.

CLICK Link to pics in sig w/ story!

Last edited by islanq; 03-24-2011 at 07:57 PM.
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
eld4au6

My Ride: 00 323it
Vanos seals?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ighlight=vanos
eld4au6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
islanq

You must also want to check your DISA if the above mentions fixes don't help. The DISA is essentially an air adjuster unit which provides more air to the intake manifold (usually under low load). If the unit flap is broken and or stuck shut from gunk your car should be getting insufficient air at low RPM/engine load.

Your DISA valve is a little black box with an electrical connector on it on the top of the intake manifold on the end closest to your firewall. Remove the connector and unscrew the 2 torx screws (T25 i believe). The butterfly valve should rotate 90 degrees easily with your fingers and then return to it's original position on it's own. You should hear a plunger/suction noise from the back part if the seal is still good.

Last edited by islanq; 03-25-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
chmiel21

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies! I hope to get this resolved asap, will probably replace plugs saturday afternoon, and pick up and air filter tomorrow.. May as well do cabin filter at the same time. Fuel filter will be next up i guess. I will post up the results! I was hoping to be able to wait and do vanos when I get back home in the summer as most of my tools are there.. Maybe it'll get done sooner than later.

Thanks again :Thumbsup:

Brake upgrade next!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
El Polo

My Ride: 99 black 328i
And if you need help in the Ottawa region, maybe I could give you a hand.
Have you got any codes? If your light is on I can read it for you.
I just checked on my car those few things you should check too, intake/filter, air-mass flow sensor, adjuster unit (DISA), idle control valve (ICV)...
Other elements I could think of... camshaft position sensor (you should get a code), VANOS seals, gunky oil lines (especially after hibernating for a long time)... or a simple computer-fart (as in brain-fart). I think there is a procedure around to reset your engine environmental adaptation parameters. But as someone said, only use premium gas.
IIRC, a loss of power might also indicate a timing chain getting loose, though I have never actually seen that on a BMW. Take this heads-up with caution, I am not sure about this. And there are tons of this that could result in a loss of power anyways.
El Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Loss of low end power could mean, DISA, dirty MAF/ICV, simple air leaks. If Vanos seals are bad your car would shake and hesitate when accelerating hard right before 2900rpm. The hesitation will start at 2800 and suddenly go away right after 3100rpm. If you dont have this issue its not Vanos seals.

Car not slowing down at downshifts screams a worn out clutch in my head.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmiel21 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the quick replies! I hope to get this resolved asap, will probably replace plugs saturday afternoon, and pick up and air filter tomorrow.. May as well do cabin filter at the same time. Fuel filter will be next up i guess. I will post up the results! I was hoping to be able to wait and do vanos when I get back home in the summer as most of my tools are there.. Maybe it'll get done sooner than later.

Thanks again :Thumbsup:
No problemo! If you have an air compressor you can always just clean your filters (especially cabin since it's not vital, unless u have some weird odor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Loss of low end power could mean, DISA, dirty MAF/ICV, simple air leaks. If Vanos seals are bad your car would shake and hesitate when accelerating hard right before 2900rpm. The hesitation will start at 2800 and suddenly go away right after 3100rpm. If you dont have this issue its not Vanos seals.

Amen, this man speaks the truth.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
chmiel21

Quote:

Hmm, did not notice and hesitations around 3000, seemed pretty good across the whole range. I'll keep an eye out for that today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Polo View Post
And if you need help in the Ottawa region, maybe I could give you a hand.
Have you got any codes? If your light is on I can read it for you.
I just checked on my car those few things you should check too, intake/filter, air-mass flow sensor, adjuster unit (DISA), idle control valve (ICV)...
Other elements I could think of... camshaft position sensor (you should get a code), VANOS seals, gunky oil lines (especially after hibernating for a long time)... or a simple computer-fart (as in brain-fart). I think there is a procedure around to reset your engine environmental adaptation parameters. But as someone said, only use premium gas.
IIRC, a loss of power might also indicate a timing chain getting loose, though I have never actually seen that on a BMW. Take this heads-up with caution, I am not sure about this. And there are tons of this that could result in a loss of power anyways.
Hey thanks for the offer! I'm afraid I am in Halifax until early may, so hopefully I can get this resolved before I head back to Ottawa for the summer. Anyways NO CODES right now, so i am steering away from camshaft position sensor. As for gas, i always do premium 91+ so no problem there.. I have some time this afternoon and will check some things out and post up thanks

Brake upgrade next!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
chmiel21

Update: Checked the MAF which was fine, Air filter looked OK and the DISA valve worked properly, a tiny tiny bit of play if i really fiddled with it. IMO it's ok as well (Seal was ok).

Next up i guess will be to check the plugs and run some injector cleaner.. I don't have access to my torque wrench until may so i am hoping i can borrow one from somebody.

On another note I just checked my coolant level and it is low. The dipstick with the two balls is a few inches lower than the top of the reservoir.. I'm assuming that it's a little lower because the system is still hot/warm. Just want to confirm that.

Brake upgrade next!

Last edited by chmiel21; 03-25-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #11
islanq

Quote:
Update: Checked the MAF which was fine, Air filter looked OK and the DISA valve worked properly, a tiny tiny bit of play if i really fiddled with it. IMO it's ok as well (Seal was ok).

Next up i guess will be to check the plugs and run some injector cleaner.. I don't have access to my torque wrench until may so i am hoping i can borrow one from somebody.

On another note I just checked my coolant level and it is low. The dipstick with the two balls is a few inches lower than the top of the reservoir.. I'm assuming that it's a little lower because the system is still hot/warm. Just want to confirm that.
I just picked up a 3/8" torque wrench from Harbor Freight today for $17.99 on sale! Now that's a deal. My 1/2" torque is just too big for little jobs but this was a great addition to my tool set for under $20!

Edit for toque wrench link. $21.99 on their site. I saw a nice 3/8th at Kragen too for $19.99.
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eig...rench-807.html

Last edited by islanq; 03-25-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:

Why do you need a torque wrench ? for the spark plugs? DO NOT DARE using a torque wrench on the plugs, simply snug them by hand and give a 1/4 turn.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
chmiel21

Quote:
Why do you need a torque wrench ? for the spark plugs? DO NOT DARE using a torque wrench on the plugs, simply snug them by hand and give a 1/4 turn.
I was under the impression you were supposed to torque em to 18 ft*lbs?

Brake upgrade next!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
its REALLLYYYY easy to snap a plug, trust me I've done it before, never on my Bimmer thank **** ... a real weekend job to get it out ... also, DISA is a big possibility, as many others have already suggested, atm my car is suffering; bad idle mainly when starting; next to no power under 3k revs and a lovely clicking noise from the engine bay. See if there are any noises that sound out of place or if your idle is now not right. If that's the case, definitely DISA, some of the other fellas here on E46F were able to help my diagnose mine and I now have a new one on the way
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
vladvm

My Ride: 2002 325i
I had the same problem recently (E46 325i 220+km manual), no code, low rpm (below 500) from start-up and stalling when clutch is depressed. I fixed it by replacing both front o2 sensors and cleaning the ICV with brake cleaner. Problem fixed.

BMW 325i
vladvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
yrksccr6

My Ride: 2000 328Ci ZPP
Cheapest repair, CRC MAF Cleaner. My 328Ci was lagging up to about 2.5RPMs, apparently previous owner neglected the MAF as it looked like it had never seen daylight. When your MAF gets too dirty the fuel air mixture is off, making the computer adjust for a problem that isn't actually there. After cleaning, my car's acceleration was smooth and sharp. Definitely a good place to start.
Most expensive repairs. Vanos Rebuild. Crank Position Sensors. Timing of engine. all expensive, in my opinion you would have other effects than just loss of power in these cases such as rough idle, stalling, hard starting. Fuel sending units. Under the rear seat in the car, poor fuel pressure causes many issues, definitely lack of power. I believe you would be experiencing other issues such as bad gas gauge reading and stalling, but keep in mind if nothing else works.
I agree with the above comments on O2 sensors, more than likely pre-cat. Spark plugs, clogged air filter and dirty ICV can also lead to loss of power. Techron is always a good idea when you change your oil
yrksccr6 is offline   Reply With Quote