E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
threetwentyfizzle

My Ride: '00 323i
Gas gauge not reading accurate please help!!!

So I just replaced my fuel pump on my 2002 325ci yesterday and today my gas gauge started reading inaccurately. I just filled my car up all the way full and the gauge is reading that I only have a half tank? Did I do something wrong when I installed the pump?? Please help
threetwentyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
StrikeTwo

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
This is just a guess but it sounds like a bad or sticky fuel level sensor? The fuel level sending unit has an arm with a float that raises and lowers depending on the fuel level. If this is stuck or malfunctioning it will give a false reading. It Looks like it lifts out of the top of the tank through the floor like the pump did, but on the opposite side.

-good luck, keep us posted

view current mods
2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Last edited by StrikeTwo; 05-21-2011 at 08:34 AM.
StrikeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
threetwentyfizzle

So this would not be the fuel pump I just installed? That had a float and an arm on it. I was pretty careful when I put it in not to damage the metal arm piece. So would this be on the driver side under the back seat?
Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
threetwentyfizzle

Ended up resetting the instrument cluster from the obc and it fixed the fuel level
Old 05-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Nice, maybe run a bottle of Chevron Techron to clean out the fuel level sensor since you didn't replace that.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
threetwentyfizzle

I'll do that too thanks for the suggestion. I usually use Lucas fuel system cleaner is that a good one to clean that fuel level sensor or is the techron better?
Old 05-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
apdspider

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetwentyfizzle View Post
Ended up resetting the instrument cluster from the obc and it fixed the fuel level
How did you reset the instrument cluster?
apdspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
The instrument cluster reset is available from the OBD test menu. Check the sticky thread at the top of the forums, "*******: Info collected that you might like to know" and look for Easter eggs.

test 21 Software Reset; reset OBC settings
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #9
apdspider

Help!!!!

Well, 2 new fuel pumps... No issues with the floater arm and circuit board, like I said it's new. I tried plugging in the wire while the right side fuel pump was out of the tank... And I moved the float up and down. No luck. Gauge didn't change. Put it all back together, reset the OBC, filled it with gas, still nothing.

OBC menu 6.0 shows 240000 indicating 24.0 liters on the left, 00.0 liters on the right. I know the right side is full of fuel, I just filled it with 13 gallons.

I'm at a loss as the what the problem is. Maybe the wiring?

Where else should I look?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 PM   #10
Rolfyto

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi
Send a message via Skype™ to Rolfyto
Like the other fellow said, run some techron through to clean out the contacts. Ive seen people say that a few times with these same issues, though (with my very limited automotive knowledge) it sounds like you have bigger problems than corroded components.
Rolfyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
apdspider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolfyto View Post
Like the other fellow said, run some techron through to clean out the contacts. Ive seen people say that a few times with these same issues, though (with my very limited automotive knowledge) it sounds like you have bigger problems than corroded components.
Nothing is corroded... The unit is new. Techron wouldn't do anything

Anyone else?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
Rolfyto

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi
Send a message via Skype™ to Rolfyto
Quote:
Originally Posted by apdspider View Post
Nothing is corroded... The unit is new. Techron wouldn't do anything

Anyone else?
It's a good thing I'm a rocket surgeon and not a mechanic
Rolfyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
apdspider

Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
apdspider

bump
Old 06-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
DirtyMidget

My Ride: 2003 325ci
I just replaced my fuel pump this past Saturday as well. Filled up this morning and the gauge was showing just over half a tank. Crappers I thought to myself, something else to fix. Upon driving to work right after the fill up, the gauge slooooowly started climbing back up. It never made it to full but showed just over 3/4 of a tank when I rolled in. Hopefully, it will work itself out. May get some Tecron to run through it regardless and it probably needs it.
DirtyMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #16
threetwentyfizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyMidget View Post
I just replaced my fuel pump this past Saturday as well. Filled up this morning and the gauge was showing just over half a tank. Crappers I thought to myself, something else to fix. Upon driving to work right after the fill up, the gauge slooooowly started climbing back up. It never made it to full but showed just over 3/4 of a tank when I rolled in. Hopefully, it will work itself out. May get some Tecron to run through it regardless and it probably needs it.
So actually I'm having the SAME issue still happen. I've actually replaced the left side fuel sending unit as well as the pump. Any answers why my gas gauge doesn't read right but after extended driving the needle slowly moves? Is one of the floats caught on something?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
apdspider

Quote:
So actually I'm having the SAME issue still happen. I've actually replaced the left side fuel sending unit as well as the pump. Any answers why my gas gauge doesn't read right but after extended driving the needle slowly moves? Is one of the floats caught on something?
I doubt you are caught on anything. You wouldn't have been able to install the pump if it was.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
threetwentyfizzle

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the gas gauge after replacing the fuel pump? && if so, what was the cause && how did you fix the issue? I've replaced the pump with a VDO/Siemens pump and replaced the left side fuel sending unit with the BMW original part.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
apdspider

Quote:
Has anyone else experienced this issue with the gas gauge after replacing the fuel pump? && if so, what was the cause && how did you fix the issue? I've replaced the pump with a VDO/Siemens pump and replaced the left side fuel sending unit with the BMW original part.
You replaced it and it was then fixed? or still broken?
Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #20
threetwentyfizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdspider View Post
You replaced it and it was then fixed? or still broken?
Replaced the fuel pump because it went out and my car wouldn't start. The car runs fine now but after I replaced the fuel pump the gas gauge started reading wrong. So I replaced the fuel sending unit on the left side thinking it was screwing up the gas level and not reading right. It's still not reading right after replacing the left side level sensor. There has to be some explanation does anyone have any ideas?