E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
apdspider

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetwentyfizzle View Post
Replaced the fuel pump because it went out and my car wouldn't start. The car runs fine now but after I replaced the fuel pump the gas gauge started reading wrong. So I replaced the fuel sending unit on the left side thinking it was screwing up the gas level and not reading right. It's still not reading right after replacing the left side level sensor. There has to be some explanation does anyone have any ideas?
got it... well I have the same problem. Replaced the fuel pump on the right side and since then, my on board computer reads 24.0 liters on the left, 00.0 on the right, when the tank is full. That makes the gas gauge read about 1/3 full when it's completely full.

I wish someone had an answer
apdspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #22
threetwentyfizzle

My Ride: '00 323i
@apdspider did you ever get your gas gauge to work properly?
threetwentyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #23
apdspider

Quote:
@apdspider did you ever get your gas gauge to work properly?
nope... still screwed up. I'd like to fix it so I can sell this car.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #24
threetwentyfizzle

Nvm just got your reply. But yea mine reads the gas on the right side of the tank and shows nothing for the left on the obc test 6. Have you pulled the pump out again and examined the inside of the tank? I haven't pulled the actual fuel pump back out yet and my guess is I messed up putting the pump in. I thought maybe I got the float caught on something. Did you see any lines or wires in the tank that the float could catch on? I'm just wondering so I know what to prepare for on Saturday :/
Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #25
threetwentyfizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdspider View Post
nope... still screwed up. I'd like to fix it so I can sell this car.
I work at a dealership so I'm gonna see if I can have a tech help me check it out Saturday. Once I figure out what's up I'll let you know what I did since it sounds like you have the same identical problem since you've replaced the left and right side too
Old 06-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #26
apdspider

Quote:
Nvm just got your reply. But yea mine reads the gas on the right side of the tank and shows nothing for the left on the obc test 6. Have you pulled the pump out again and examined the inside of the tank? I haven't pulled the actual fuel pump back out yet and my guess is I messed up putting the pump in. I thought maybe I got the float caught on something. Did you see any lines or wires in the tank that the float could catch on? I'm just wondering so I know what to prepare for on Saturday :/
Nope, never saw anything that it could get caught on.

I removed and installed a new pump twice, and had it installed professionally once too. Both times the effect was the same. I reset the OBC menu 21(i think) and no luck.

Please keep me posted if you bring your car in for a closer look.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #27
jetblackmaverick

My Ride: parting out...=(
My advice to you is just keep your tank filled up so you know you have gas. My gauge stopped working a while back, and Ive noticed that at about 1/4 tank on the gauge Im actually on Empty. Not that big of a deal for me to worry about, so I just deal.
jetblackmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #28
threetwentyfizzle

Ended up fixing the gas gauge issue. @apdspider I pulled the fuel pump out and examined it closely. Turns out the metal arm that the float is attached to was scraping on the level sensor. So my guess is that when it was sitting in the tank, there was resistance and it wasn't wanting to float. I ended up just popping the metal arm back into place and the arm started moving freely again. Put it all back together and it works perfectly! Hopefully this works for you too just check where that metal rod connects to the sensor on the pump and if it's popped out at all just snap it back into place.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 AM   #29
apdspider

I'll check that out this weekend. When I had it out last time, nothing was binding and everything seemed in place. So I'm having my doubts.

But in the meanwhile, I'm glad this fixed your car. Thanks for the update.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #30
felixzcat

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Ended up fixing the gas gauge issue. @apdspider I pulled the fuel pump out and examined it closely. Turns out the metal arm that the float is attached to was scraping on the level sensor. So my guess is that when it was sitting in the tank, there was resistance and it wasn't wanting to float. I ended up just popping the metal arm back into place and the arm started moving freely again. Put it all back together and it works perfectly! Hopefully this works for you too just check where that metal rod connects to the sensor on the pump and if it's popped out at all just snap it back into place.
Threetwentyfizzle,

Just to be sure before I do mine, you are talking about the right side of the tank, correct? And resetting the instrument cluster had nothing to do with the fuel gage reading properly.

Thanks,
Paul
felixzcat is offline   Reply With Quote