E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #21
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Dynavin hands down. A top manufacturer has offered to sponsor an entire audio system for me and I turned it down because I didn't want to run an aftermarket head unit other than the dynavin... anything else jammed in there looks cheap IMO

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Dynavin hands down. A top manufacturer has offered to sponsor an entire audio system for me and I turned it down because I didn't want to run an aftermarket head unit other than the dynavin... anything else jammed in there looks cheap IMO
Chase, sorry dude, but it's form over function with the Dynavin.

I care too much about functionality and good sound quality to get that thing.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
albuyeh

My Ride: 325i 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer^Hue View Post
Oem
How could I add Aux support then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
I can't have Dynavin because my car doesnt support double dim
albuyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #24
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
You could still do it... Just means you lose the compartment space.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #25
albuyeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oAllElseFailo View Post
You could still do it... Just means you lose the compartment space.
What about my AC control.. won't those get in the way?
Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #26
snowborder142190

My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
I love the new alpine and pioneer units that have pandora link. You have to have an iPhone but it's is really nice to listen to and control pandora through the radio. They come in both single and double din.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp
Old 05-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #27
snowborder142190

My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by albuyeh View Post
What about my AC control.. won't those get in the way?
They just move down to where the sunglasses holder is now.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp
Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #28
CTD

My Ride: 03 330Cd 6spd
Anything but Dynavin... Looks cheap, works cheap... You get what you pay for! (Installed a few myself...)

2000 E39 525Tds (sold)
2003 E46 330Cd
CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Anything but Dynavin... Looks cheap, works cheap... You get what you pay for! (Installed a few myself...)
If you're an audiophile, I agree. The dynavin is lacking. But then again, so is the OEM HU. Pioneer FTMFW. You have to hack up a bunch of plastic to get a double din to fit though.

I have a dynavin v5 myself and the noise floor sucks some hairy balls. However, for the price and functionality, it is a pretty good unit. There are also RCA outs that I haven't tried yet, but that requires replacing the stock amp at the very least. I'm lazy.

At this time, I think getting the Dynavin for Android is a bad move. That is just the navigation side. The UI of the other functions is still crapola.

If you want to buy one, ask Jeff over on the bavarian soundwerks forum for pricing and pros/cons. He's reputable, responds quickly, and is mostly honest... but he's still running a business.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Chase, sorry dude, but it's form over function with the Dynavin.

I care too much about functionality and good sound quality to get that thing.
Who would guess I'm a form over function kinda guy

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #31
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Thank you for being the only other smart person on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
If you're an audiophile, I agree. The dynavin is lacking. But then again, so is the OEM HU. Pioneer FTMFW. You have to hack up a bunch of plastic to get a double din to fit though.

I have a dynavin v5 myself and the noise floor sucks some hairy balls. However, for the price and functionality, it is a pretty good unit. There are also RCA outs that I haven't tried yet, but that requires replacing the stock amp at the very least. I'm lazy.

At this time, I think getting the Dynavin for Android is a bad move. That is just the navigation side. The UI of the other functions is still crapola.

If you want to buy one, ask Jeff over on the bavarian soundwerks forum for pricing and pros/cons. He's reputable, responds quickly, and is mostly honest... but he's still running a business.
Dynavin is worse than OEM. The Android features are barely functioning and you have to work on it using a screen lifted straight off an old Sega Game Gear. Cheap electronics, cheap sound quality, cheap build quality. Don't waste your time. You'll have better sound quality plugging in a 1992 Boombox.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #32
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Form :

Looks oem
Plays dvds
Hooks up well with ipod/iphone
Bluetooth phone functionality
Solid navigation (if you upgrade to primo)
RCA inputs work perfectly for incorporating gaming consoles or whatever

Cons :
Sound quality (if you're an audiofile)
Knobs are cheap? If you don't like the way the BMW ones feel (sorry but they appear and feel no different to me than the OEM stuff)

I have a Pioneer AVIC in my Rover and prefer the Dynavin to it with the exception of the ipod interface which, on the AVIC is superior.

For me, form and simplicity over function. I was able to install my dynavin in about 2 hours. To do a traditional dual din from one of these other guys (pioneer, sony, etc) you will spend an arm and a leg or countless hours in your garage... not to mention you will need to buy a new bezel for it to fit in unless you want it looking like total garbage.

Form > functionality (unless you absolutely have to have the best sound quality.. in which case you will also want another 2k or so worth of speakers, amps, subs, etc.)

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Old 05-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #33
kpeng
Banned User

And holy crap, the Dynavin is $649!?

You can get a way nicer headunit w/ all the install accessories you need for a fraction of that.

You don't have to be an "audiophile" to appreciate good sound. I don't know anyone who wants to listen to music in crappy quality...then again, I do know a lot of people who don't know the difference between a $5 Walmart speaker, and a $150 Focal.

Last edited by kpeng; 05-23-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #34
albuyeh

Quote:
And holy crap, the Dynavin is $649!?

You can get a way nicer headunit w/ all the install accessories you need for a fraction of that.

You don't have to be an "audiophile" to appreciate good sound. I don't know anyone who wants to listen to music in crappy quality...then again, I do know a lot of people who don't know the difference between a $5 Walmart speaker, and a $150 Focal.
I agree. The Dynavin seems nice because of all the features of android (customizable, apps, etc) but it is still Android 1.6 with a shitty processor.
For $650 I can just buy a new headunit that supports MP3 CD's and Aux.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
I agree. The Dynavin seems nice because of all the features of android (customizable, apps, etc) but it is still Android 1.6 with a shitty processor.
For $650 I can just buy a new headunit that supports MP3 CD's and Aux.
Good. Glad to see that you're making the sensible decision, and recognizing the stupidity of Android on this system.

You're only as good as your weakest link. People hear "Android" and think OMG JESUS HEADUNIT! It's an outdated version running on crap hardware. I don't care if you're running Honeycomb on a screen made of diamonds...it's still crap hardware.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #36
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
I had the Dynavin and had no issues with it. For what it offers, the price is great.

I have a Kenwood BT setup in my 911, but wish it had the features of the Dynavin. The sound of the Dynavin was really not that bad. But with car audio, just like guns...to each their own.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #37
albuyeh

Well I have a question.. right now I have my head unit hooked up to a 6CD changer in the trunk that can play MP3 Cd's so all I really want to add to my build is Auxiliary.

A) Could I buy an oem head unit that has aux capability and can connect to my 6CD changer to play my zune in my car? And if so, would it be possible to change songs via the steering wheel?
B) Could I buy a dual dim aftermarket cd receiver, and move my cars climate control down to where the storage thing is?
Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #38
daewon774

My Ride: 2002 330xi
How much more is it after adding all the accessories needed for Navigation? Or does it come bundled ready to go with GPS/Nav?
daewon774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #39
oAllElseFailo

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Well I have a question.. right now I have my head unit hooked up to a 6CD changer in the trunk that can play MP3 Cd's so all I really want to add to my build is Auxiliary.

A) Could I buy an oem head unit that has aux capability and can connect to my 6CD changer to play my zune in my car? And if so, would it be possible to change songs via the steering wheel?
B) Could I buy a dual dim aftermarket cd receiver, and move my cars climate control down to where the storage thing is?
A- I don't see why the oem head unit wouldn't be able to stay connected to the 6CD changer, as far as controlling it.. That seems to be different with devices. My friend has an OEM headunit with an aux but sometimes he can control it through the unit other times its through the ipod/iphone etc.

B- Moving the cars climate control down to the storage seems to only be the ones that allow for a double din. So yes you could.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #40
Herbalicious

My Ride: 330ci, M3, Z06
Quote:
Dynavin is good if you want something that matches your interior...and that's about it.

Poor build quality, crappy Android functionality, and poor sound quality. It's a cheap China-made unit.

www.sonicelectronix.com

Pretty much anything from Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood will be great.

I agree, Dynavin is crap! I like Kenwood Excelon products....they have a ton of features and clean power.
Herbalicious is offline   Reply With Quote