E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

View Poll Results: Which Sig p226 to buy?
Plain Jane 226 4 40.00%
Dark Elite TB 6 60.00%
Combat TB 0 0%
other explain 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
About to buy my 1st pistol- Sig p226

/begin rambling cliffs at end
I went shooting today and shot a bunch of pistols trying to decide what I liked best. I shot a glock 17, sw mp pro, sig p226, sw 1911 45. My favorite were the sw mp pro and the sig p226 and leaning more towards the sig. Now I am trying to decide which sig version to get. I know price wise the sig is much more than the glock and mp pro. However, I want to get my favorite/best 1st time and just suck up the extra cost.

Now on to the fun part of deciding which damn version of the p226 to buy lol. I am leaning towards the p226 combat w/ threaded barrel.(not to hard to buy a can in MD surprisingly since were such a gay state) and figured its worth paying a little more upfront for it. I like the 2 tone color scheme on the combat but I also really like the dark elite. The grips seem to be a little different and trying to weigh out the other differences as well between to two and if these models are worth the little extra premium over the basic 226.

/end rambling

Cliffs: What damn model p226 should I buy.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Plain Jane. The premiums are NOT worth it. Sig's QC has been iffy lately.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I'd have to vote for the Elite Dark. It has four features that I consider to be very desireable- light rail, night sights, extended bearvertail, and the SRT. The SRT, or short reset trigger, is a necessity in my opinion. You really can't go wrong with any model, but the more custom you get, the more unique it is and the more varied the usage and capability.

However, even if you get a plain jane P226, do yourself a favor and get a pistol with a light rail. You can get factory reconditioned P226s for a little over $500, but they don't have the light rails.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 05-23-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Since it looks like you prefer the Sig....I am not much of a fan of the 226, but that is just me.......buy what you can afford and you like...as far as features and color finish. That is a personal decision. I would make that for myself. You are buying the gun so get what you like and fits in the budget. Only stainless steel gun I have is the Kimber. It is not my carry weapon. Sig does make some good weapons though, nice choice.

EDIT: Also a threaded barrel is nice, but a silencer can cost you more than the gun. I think the ATF tax stamp is $200. They are nice for shooting in the woods alone but at the range...with other people shooting, kind of pointless. With a threaded barrel, you can buy a adapter to run a fake silencer though. Pretty much for looks and more weight on the front. Got me one to screw around with on my little Walther P22.

Last edited by carcus; 05-23-2011 at 06:03 PM.
carcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
ThEnder

My Ride: has twin turbos
Great choice with the Sig, you'll love it.

My model vote goes to the standard p226R. IMO the SRT is gritty and does not provide enough benefit to outweigh the disadvantage.

They also make an all steel version, which in 9mm had almost zero felt recoil.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Get either the combat or DE.

I'd highly recommend picking up Hogue aluminum grips for it too. They are seemingly pricey, but well worth it once you grip it for the first time. Pure secks.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Get either the combat or DE.

I'd highly recommend picking up Hogue aluminum grips for it too. They are seemingly pricey, but well worth it once you grip it for the first time. Pure secks.
Leaning towards a threaded dark elite little under 1k but they also come with aluminum grips too. Then I can always add a suppressor without having to change the barrel

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
Older 226's were awesome. Love that trigger.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #9
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
My buddy has an early 2000's P226, fun to shoot but something about the factory grips on the Sig's I didn't like. He put some Hogue's on which I liked better.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I'd have to vote for the Elite Dark. It has four features that I consider to be very desireable- light rail, night sights, extended bearvertail, and the SRT. The SRT, or short reset trigger, is a necessity in my opinion. You really can't go wrong with any model, but the more custom you get, the more unique it is and the more varied the usage and capability.

However, even if you get a plain jane P226, do yourself a favor and get a pistol with a light rail. You can get factory reconditioned P226s for a little over $500, but they don't have the light rails.
Agree on all points re: the Elite Dark. If you want to spend a bit more, you may even want to track down and shoot an X5 Tactical.

^^ you can get 226Rs through the refurb program now- I know guys that have bought them.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Ordered the Elite Dark today with a threaded barrel now just have to wait for it to come in. Said about 5-6 weeks
Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #12
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Ordered the Elite Dark today with a threaded barrel now just have to wait for it to come in. Said about 5-6 weeks
very nice, sir

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Where'd you order from? Sig directly?
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Gun shop that sponsors a local shooting forum I joined. I paid 980 it was an extra 50 for the threaded barrel. Then taxes and state police fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Where'd you order from? Sig directly?

Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Just got the phone call gun arrived in the shop today gotta go there monday(next day off) and fill out the paperwork then the damn 1 week wait begins
Old 06-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
nice, 5-6 weeks seemed like an overly long time just to get it in.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Yeah but thats what sig had quoted him. Hes been waiting since feb for 2 stainless elite p226. I can't wait to get it.