E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #81
BROKENBIMMER

My Ride: 328i
And the info is valid..straight from the dynojet sitting at wyotech in pa the school is a glamorized high school votech program but the money they bring in they have the best of the best equipment..I never posted saying how great my car was I posted the Dyno to show that properly maintained the 328 will still turn decent numbers after 260000 miles..the car is far from stock now u can't really go Redyno n prove myself.
BROKENBIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #82
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKENBIMMER View Post
I guess ASE is bogus too huh..I guess the fact I work on cars 12 hrs a day 5 days a week means nothing took I guess being a mechanic at one of the biggest car dealerships in va means nothing too..ur a forum cruiseing punk with zero knowledge or education posting bs
You mad bro? Working on other peoples cars and repairing/replacing stock parts on a car is just a job...you just follow the instructions and get on with your day...sucks that you have to work 60 hours on other peoples cars...I get as many hours as I want to work on my own car.

Come back when you have a real baseline dyno.

EDIT: So post the current dyno?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #83
BROKENBIMMER

Noone knows what my car makes now but me and it's gonna stay that way..I'll tell u all day what ive done to the car since then but not my current power..I still have that printout for a reason..anyone that wants to race sees that Dyno..they dnt know alot has changed since then n I'll gladly open my hood for anyone that wants to look..all looks stock BMW..only thing that looks out of place is that I have no o2 sensors
Old 11-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #84
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
@ Jared , Hi fellow Canadian , Im currently working on the very same project , Going with the M54 Intake manifold swap on the 323 m52tu , I read youre post about having a plastic adaptor plate , I do have a question you noted that It can abstain temps of 170f , How about cold factors ? Can It withdraw below celcius temps (ie) -30.

Ive called the majority of yards out here In Montreal and there for the most part , INTAKEMANFOLDLESS , Ill have to patient and keep looking over ebay.

I was reading and extensively searching on the agenda and came across this (LINKBELOW) Seems good for me , Unless I can have one built preferably not In plastic , Kinda skeptical on the plastic adp plate.

http://www.too-much-concepts.de/menu_left.html

So far my 323i has a fullcatback (No cats lol yes I pollute the air) TMP pulleys , KN Induction kit , TMP shark Injector , Ebay headers .

From my mods list adding this how much do you think I would poosibly gain from this mod ?

From youre experince should I get a dyno tune or would the shark be more then enough Gather that you have read on the shark Injector.

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #85
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
@ Jared , Hi fellow Canadian , Im currently working on the very same project , Going with the M54 Intake manifold swap on the 323 m52tu , I read youre post about having a plastic adaptor plate , I do have a question you noted that It can abstain temps of 170f , How about cold factors ? Can It withdraw below celcius temps (ie) -30.

Ive called the majority of yards out here In Montreal and there for the most part , INTAKEMANFOLDLESS , Ill have to patient and keep looking over ebay.

I was reading and extensively searching on the agenda and came across this (LINKBELOW) Seems good for me , Unless I can have one built preferably not In plastic , Kinda skeptical on the plastic adp plate.

http://www.too-much-concepts.de/menu_left.html

So far my 323i has a fullcatback (No cats lol yes I pollute the air) TMP pulleys , KN Induction kit , TMP shark Injector , Ebay headers .

From my mods list adding this how much do you think I would poosibly gain from this mod ?

From youre experince should I get a dyno tune or would the shark be more then enough Gather that you have read on the shark Injector.

Well, It's hard to say because I havn't got the funds to do a dyno tune and I really wouldn't bother unless you also had cams to be honest. So I don't know how beneficial it would be. But I'm certain the shark will serve you well. The plastic is certainly capable of -30C and more. The intake itself is plastic so I actually think its a better material for expansion/contraction rates than metal.
I think you could stand to gain 10-15 hp given your mods with the shark for tuning.

When looking for the manifold, look for 330's getting parted out, vs just the manifold itself in your searches. It will likely be easier to find the part that way.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #86
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quote:
Noone knows what my car makes now but me and it's gonna stay that way..I'll tell u all day what ive done to the car since then but not my current power..I still have that printout for a reason..anyone that wants to race sees that Dyno..they dnt know alot has changed since then n I'll gladly open my hood for anyone that wants to look..all looks stock BMW..only thing that looks out of place is that I have no o2 sensors
So you're a coward...why would you hide your dyno increases from the general masses? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 11-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #87
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Quote:
DUDE Its a chart , Relax no ones gonna steal youre hp , Its not like youre building a nuclear bomb where Its top secret and the next doogie howser Is gonna claim fame off of It.

2ndly You cant come on to the boards and claim that you have x-y-z withought proof.

Ill be a firm believer when I see proof ! Untill then Its just jiberish !

Functional justification... true. But girls dropping their panties counts for something
BBK on non-supercharged-non-m..... because chasecar

Last edited by 323I00; 11-29-2011 at 05:48 PM.
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #88
BROKENBIMMER

Dyno was allready posted
Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #89
BROKENBIMMER

I'll tell u it's been on a zex 125 shot from around 265000 and it's got 289000 now
Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #90
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
I absolutely knew nitrous was gonna come into this sooner or later. Don't ask me how, I just knew.

Nitrous !

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #91
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Quote:
I'll tell u it's been on a zex 125 shot from around 265000 and it's got 289000 now
Really? So Under your hood it looks like stock, yet you're running a zex 125 shot.

So I won't see any N20 lines, injectors in the mani or anything else, injectors in front of the MAF, if I took off your fuel rail cover I wouldnt see any extra injectors? Nothing? So how ARE you introducing the NOS into the engine? Since nothing looks awry and your DME is going to be there with all harnesses leading into it youre not using an aftermarket DME so you must be using a dry system? But you can't be because I would've noticed the injectors in front of the MAF again.

I call fantastical B.S.

Backpressure losing H.P? Losing low-end torque maybe, but not enough to care about.

Losing Horsepower with headers? Ones that are a great improvement over the stock exhaust mani's with cats, wtf are you talking about.

I swear if I still lived in Richmond I would come down to the Hampton Roads area and race you just so you could see that your not making that much (182rwhp) power stock and most likely havent even cracked 200rwhp yet, and I'm willing to bet that if that's even your graph, its your newest most recent dyno with all of your mods.

And really an ASE master tech should know a helluva lot more about the way an engine works, and theory behind it.

It doesn't atomize the fuel correctly?

Have you f*cking heard of Upstream O2 Sensors? What about a MAF? Do you know how a fuel injector works?

Atomizing the fuel has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of air entering the engine or the A/F, its about how the injector is designed and if its working correctly.

Your A/F ratio has everything to do with what you were talking about, and it will richen up slightly from headers, but not drasticaly and it can be tuned anyway.

Speaking of A/F ratios what is a perfect stoichiometric ratio for gasoline. Answer honestly with researching, to what side of that is lean? To what side is rich? How about an engine running a forced induction application, what is the desired stoichiometric ratio for that application?
What should I do to the timing for every 50 shot of N20 I use? By how many degrees?
What series of tests did you have to pass to be a ASE Mastertech?

Heres a clue for you, I know all of the above but I will bet a pretty penny that without the use of wikipedia and google you don't. Because you are not a master tech, let alone a tech at all.

Please tell us what dealership you work at so I know to never get my car serviced there.

Now GTFO, out of this man's thread with your B.S. and go into the general forum where you can trick the other high schoolers.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 11-29-2011 at 09:37 PM.
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 PM   #92
BROKENBIMMER

4 degrees timeing injectors and lines all ran under the manifold..and everything u said is wrong..
Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #93
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
4 degrees timeing injectors and lines all ran under the manifold..and everything u said is wrong..
I never said anything it was a series of questions. Reading comprehension is not strong with you either I see.

Try 2 degrees.

Now is that advanced or retarded? What about all my other questions? Google not quick enough for you?
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 11-29-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #94
BROKENBIMMER

14.7 for gas lean Higher is lean. Fi around 12.5 depending on tune retard timeing 4 degrees every 50 shot (vampire ignition) in my case...u to are a jackass.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #95
BROKENBIMMER

New engines n built engines u can go 2 retarded. When u have almost 300000 miles I play safe with 4
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #96
BROKENBIMMER

Its more that I have no need to prove myself to some fking clowns that know nothing and get in a pissing contest over facts that I can only prove with Dyno but that's not good enough eaither so fuckit
Old 11-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #97
BROKENBIMMER

And as far as fuel atomization Larger runners. Lower airspeed fuel cannot stay suspended in the air and puddles Result loss of power
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #98
BROKENBIMMER

Oh ya I forgot one..The loss of back pressure also causes a loss of the scavenging effect of the valve overlap useing the excapeing exhaust flow to draw in new intake air..result loss of power
Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #99
lejeunebimmer

I'll give you 14.7, its actually 14.6 but a lot of people are misguided.

So you go 4 retarded to play it safe (I won't argue with you on that), but you're going to run at 12.5 A/F for FI? Interesting I've always been taught 12.1...

I am indeed a jackass as are you sir for one claiming 192rwhp, and only proving 182. For polluting this thread, and trying to say that dyno was of stock a M52TUB28.

As for the atomization, are you not aware of how exactly the disa works and the function it performs with changing between different lengths of intake runners? Also just how exactly are the headers going to change the how the fuel is atomizied on the intake side of things????

Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #100
lejeunebimmer

Quote:
Oh ya I forgot one..The loss of back pressure also causes a loss of the scavenging effect of the valve overlap useing the excapeing exhaust flow to draw in new intake air..result loss of power
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Less backpressure (from the) properly designed headers increases the scavenging since the velocity of the exhaust gases are higher which creates a lowpressure area inside of the header as compared to pressure inside of the cylinder.

Since highpressure flows across the pressure gradient to the lowpressure side, you are actually drawing more air into the combustion chamber during the overlap by reducing the backpressure.

Even if we ignore the scavenging effect of cam overlap, and exhaust system and think about this using common sense and simple fluid dynamics we would realize that:

If you take a garden hose and blow through it with your mouth you can push the air through pretty easy right? now what if I were to pinch a portion of that garden hose so its only half of its original diameter, and you were to blow through it then. It would be a lot harder to push the same volume of air through it wouldn't it?

Same concept as the awkward shape of the stock exhaust mani's and the cats being right there.

Last edited by lejeunebimmer; 11-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.