E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #261
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@maximumpsi View Post
Drain location, how the turbo is clocked, what orientation the shaft seal is during the turbo assembly process: these are a few variables.

I know I had to run a pump on my e36 with a steedspeed and 4094 in addition to a 6765 precision bb. I currently have a bb comp turbo that I just tried running with a tiny restrictor and optimal drain and it is getting a small amount of oil in the charge pipe. With a MAF based system you don't want any oil to contaminate the HFM.

I would love to see pics of the Saad manifold. I am also curious to see if there is any oil in the charge pipes, even minimal amounts. I am always open to other options. Trust me, I was shooting for a lower price point, however I want to offer a high quality, trouble free product.
Solid info, and absolutely agree about oil in the charge pipe not being acceptable. I was just curious if HPF had maybe done it so there would be zero chance of issues (and then priced high and marketed it as "perfect" more or less).

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #262
CSL PWR

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3 6-Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
Solid info, and absolutely agree about oil in the charge pipe not being acceptable. I was just curious if HPF had maybe done it so there would be zero chance of issues (and then priced high and marketed it as "perfect" more or less).
I don't think it matters on the HPF kits as they run an AEM stand alone and do away with the MAF altogether. Oil in the charge pipes is much less of an issue on a MAP tuned system. However, utilizing the stock DME to keep costs down and simplify the whole kit requires keeping the stock MAF configuration as well, they go hand in hand... DME=MAF.

If any of my understanding is inaccurate in any way please feel free to correct Mike/John.

- Kevin D.
CSL PWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #263
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Can't you run an alpha-n tune with the stock DME?...

That's how Evolve does it for their CF airbox (no MAF).

Which would mean you could, technically, do it with a turbo system.
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #264
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Can't you run an alpha-n tune with the stock DME?...

That's how Evolve does it for their CF airbox (no MAF).

Which would mean you could, technically, do it with a turbo system.
I believe ESS Tuning uses Alpha-N for their E46 M3 kits as well.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #265
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
You can run alpha n on a centrifugal setup, however a turbo car is a different animal. You can't map the car properly using only alpha n because boost isn't linear to rpm like in a supercharger. You can be at 8 psi at 4k rpm or 2 psi at 6k rpm.

I will be away this week on vacation, however I hope to get some updates to the thread as soon as I come back. The car is up and running great so it is time to get it back to Nick for final tweaks.
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Email us at sales@maximumpsi.com!
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #266
flipm3

My Ride: 02 M3, 97 328i
Send a message via AIM to flipm3
Quote:
You can run alpha n on a centrifugal setup, however a turbo car is a different animal. You can't map the car properly using only alpha n because boost isn't linear to rpm like in a supercharger. You can be at 8 psi at 4k rpm or 2 psi at 6k rpm.

I will be away this week on vacation, however I hope to get some updates to the thread as soon as I come back. The car is up and running great so it is time to get it back to Nick for final tweaks.
Nice! Good information. I'm looking forward to some future results. Have a fun and safe vacation.

2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My Build Thread
Evolve Automotive CF Airbox & AlphaN . Supersprint V1 Stepped Headers & V1 SPipe
flipm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #267
DaytonaM3

My Ride: M3 E36 turbo
Do you tune this with Vanos?
DaytonaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #268
dude what

My Ride: V-TEC Equipped M3
Quote:

Can't wait to see the final results
dude what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #269
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL PWR View Post
I don't think it matters on the HPF kits as they run an AEM stand alone and do away with the MAF altogether. Oil in the charge pipes is much less of an issue on a MAP tuned system. However, utilizing the stock DME to keep costs down and simplify the whole kit requires keeping the stock MAF configuration as well, they go hand in hand... DME=MAF.

If any of my understanding is inaccurate in any way please feel free to correct Mike/John.

- Kevin D.
I'm familiar with MAF and MAP based turbo systems. I'm designing my MAP based system now, and already ran a MAF based system.

I'm not ok with seals leaking, it can cause them to erode and fail prematurely. Also, the oil getting into the compressor doesn't really help anything, it makes any dust that gets through stick on the charge pipes etc. So its still not acceptable to me with MAP.

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #270
CSL PWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
I'm not ok with seals leaking, it can cause them to erode and fail prematurely. Also, the oil getting into the compressor doesn't really help anything, it makes any dust that gets through stick on the charge pipes etc. So its still not acceptable to me with MAP.
Well i can always agree with that, oil in your charge pipe(s) is generally never a good thing or sign. Just that it'll 'foul-out' a MAF based system far quicker than MAP based one by the very nature of how they (specifically the MAF) interpret/read the airflow volumes..
Old 10-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #271
Tarmac_E46_M3

My Ride: 2003 M3
Air/oil Sep will solve those oil issues...
Current: 1969 Ford Mustang; 351w; Champion 4 row alu rad; Edelbrock Intake Manifold; Holley 600 CFM Carb; Cragar Wheels; 215/60-15 f, 255/60-15 r; Doug Tri-Y Headers; Dual Side Exit w/Xpipe; MSD 6AL; Electric Fuel Pump; U/D Pulley Set; Monte Carlo Bar.

SOLD: :( E46 M3 SMG; Evolve-R Tune; much, much more... 2980 lbs.

Home biz info: www.HelpMeFightTheForcesOfEvil.com
Tarmac_E46_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #272
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Air/oil Sep will solve those oil issues...
Only if the oil is coming from the crankcase and not from the turbo oiling system.
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #273
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaM3 View Post
Do you tune this with Vanos?
We have full control of the dme.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #274
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Mike, how are things coming along?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #275
cmajor009

My Ride: ///monster
Subscribed

My e4rtysick
cmajor009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #276
CSL PWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickM3 View Post
Mike, how are things coming along?
...X2* Details when you get a chance please...
Old 10-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #277
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
when the kit is complete do you think it will fit into a sedan with a s54? im currently putting a m3 engine in my e46 sedan and plan to do FI in the future, i would love to do it with a company that is fairly locall (within a few hours driving distance)
Old 10-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #278
CSL PWR

Question

Hey Mike (or John), not to sound sarcastic but is this kit gonna be a 2011 thing? I feel like a psycho stalker constantly coming back to visit this forum solely to see if there are any updates lol... It seems the rate things are going with this we're realistically looking at early 2012 before the kit is ready to be sold and actually delivered. Would i be correct with this? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #279
cmajor009

My Ride: ///monster
I mean hey im the same way but I rather it be perfected b4 being sold

My e4rtysick
cmajor009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #280
CSL PWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmajor009 View Post
...I rather it be perfected b4 being sold
I never said or suggested anything less, I'm simply looking for a 'realistic' time line on availability for a variety of reasons. I think i speak for a lot of people interested in this kit as well. Also, it puts less daily stress/pressure on the company looking to release such a product becuase everyone's on the same page. Actual performance numbers haven't even been released yet and i doubt they will until the final/minor tuning glitches are eliminated/complete. Only then will production of kits even begin... so when i say ''are we realistically looking at it being a 2012 release thing'' its pretty accurate in the scope how long such endevours usually take. It also allows prospective customers to begin budgeting for the release of the first batch of kits now rather seeing if/when it may happen... if its Jan/feb 2012 just say so, and we'll save up and lay off till then, thats all..

Mike, is the car back in Nick's hands for tuning?

Last edited by CSL PWR; 10-14-2011 at 10:38 AM.