E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.25 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
snowborder142190

My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
**Everything you need to know about speakers!

There has been a rush of people asking about speaker upgrades so i thought i would put this together.

No matter if you have a coupe, sedan, convertible you have 3 way components in the front and 2 way components in the back. The speakers maybe in different combinations and sizes.

Sizes and combinations are as follows-

Coupe-
(2) 25mm tweeter and 2.5" midrange hooked together
(2) 2.5" midrange
(4) 6.25" woofers

Sedan-
(2) 25mm tweeters
(4) 2.5" midrange
(4) 6.25" woofers

Convertible-
front-
(2) 25mm tweeter and 2.5" midrange hooked together
(2) 6.25" woofers
back-
(2) 20mm tweeters
(2) 4" woofers

Now that we know our speaker sizes lets look into the options we have....

Option 1-
The bsw stage 1 upgrade. This option is completely plug and play and a 5 year old can install. These speakers are $600 dollars.

now are these speakers really worth $600 dollars? Some say yes because of the install and oem look. I have personally listened to these speakers and i say they are not worth the $600 dollars. Don't get me wrong, these are not bad speakers i just think there is better out there for the price.
link: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...-Series-Coupe/

Option 2-
Vibe space 6 speakers. I personal have these speakers in the e46

These speakers require a little bit on the install but work perfect with the factory amp and fit very well! The sound clarity of these speakers i would put on a level of focal but for a third the price. With the factory amp there is no need to use the crossovers which makes this really nice. Also these are 3 way speakers that can turn into 2 way speakers. The tweeter and midrange can hook together and make one speaker. These speakers also match the frequency of the stock crossovers. I have spoke directly with vibe to confirm this.
link: http://www.amazon.com/Space-6-Inch-C.../dp/B004V92FZY

Option 3-
You find a speaker that matches the specs and make them fit. This leaves it up to you. You can go for Focal beryllium and make a system that costs a few grand

or you can go to the local Walmart and find a set of speakers with flames on them and put them in.

If you need "make your ears bleed loud" then you will want an amp. The amp is up to you again but make sure it matches the speakers. It is always better to have an amp with less power than the speakers need than more.

If you want a crystal clear sound you can keep the factory amp but you will want to change your Headunit or "Deck". Which headunit you choose is up to you but remember that you get what you pay for. If you are a true freak about crystal clear sound might i suggest this headunit.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEX-P9.../dp/B003F0TK12
i have this in another car of mine and honestly you can not beat this.

If you need super crazy clear sound use the headunit i have above with a pioneer stage 4 amp and gut all the wires and replace with monster cables in protective tubing that runs to the speakers and make sure you run the wires no where near any other wires. This is the crazy person way of doing it but hey it will be some damn good sound.

Install-
The installation of speakers is one of the most important part. I can have a $1000 dollar speaker but if i dont install it right it will sound like crap.
Aiming-
When modifying how a speaker sits in its mount you have to make sure that you are not disturbing the acoustic properties of the system. Most people will think that you want to point the speakers at the driver, that is wrong to an extent. You want your tweeters aimed right at the driver, the mids pointed past the driver and the woofers pointed away.

Mounting-
its is important that the speaker is firm in its mount, if a speaker is able to move even in the slightest bit the sound will be way off. The mounts in our car are great and can be easily modify to fix a wide variety of speakers. When modifying these mounts you need to make sure that the speaker is able to sit firmly in the mount.

I hope this helps people and if you have questions feel free to ask on here or pm me!

Last edited by snowborder142190; 05-28-2011 at 09:28 PM.
snowborder142190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
snowborder142190

I will be adding more to this when i am not so busy with work so stay tuned.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
alpinewhiteon18s

My Ride: 2004 330i
good job, u really got an m6?

Aurora 60LED Angel Eyes -Clear-corners,sides, and tails -Tint all around -RE ikon exhaust -RE RSMs -BMW performance intake -BMW performance cf strut bar -H&R Cup Kit -TMS sways -Powerflex RTABs -8000k HIDs -Black grills & Trim

alpinewhiteon18s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
snowborder142190

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhiteon18s View Post
good job, u really got an m6?
yeah but the e46 is my true baby
Old 05-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
alpinewhiteon18s

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowborder142190 View Post
yeah but the e46 is my true baby
lol thats a true enthusiast right there

Aurora 60LED Angel Eyes -Clear-corners,sides, and tails -Tint all around -RE ikon exhaust -RE RSMs -BMW performance intake -BMW performance cf strut bar -H&R Cup Kit -TMS sways -Powerflex RTABs -8000k HIDs -Black grills & Trim

alpinewhiteon18s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
sgplayer69

My Ride: 2003 CB M3 Coupe
nice write-up! listen, you said to get better sound swap out the headunit. Is there a way to get that crystal clear with the OEM headunit? I want to keep the OEM look
Old 05-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
snowborder142190

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgplayer69 View Post
nice write-up! listen, you said to get better sound swap out the headunit. Is there a way to get that crystal clear with the OEM headunit? I want to keep the OEM look
OEM headunit will put out really nice sound but if you are a true freak about sound quality you will notice the difference. Let me put it this way. There is no easy way to get the crazy crystal clear sound with the oem headunit.

Last edited by snowborder142190; 05-26-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
verg64

My Ride: Beamer
Good stuff. Thank you for taking the time to write this info up. I will be trying out a set in the near future. Now we just have to move this to the Audio section.
verg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
blow me

My Ride: 04 Coupe
Wow! $1350 just for a CD player? I know it has a few upgrades on it, but I know some of us here are on a budget and can't blow that kind of money on a head unit. What do you suggest for around $400?
blow me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
verg64

My Ride: Beamer
Wow P99 is officially released out in the U.S. I remember a couple years back when it was only released in Japan, a few of us in another forum did a group buy to get a decent price. Truly amazing receiver.
verg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
nvoges

My Ride: 01 325i
How easy do these install in the rear deck? I'm looking to replace the speakers, but want something I can drop in without much trouble.
nvoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
snowborder142190

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoges View Post
How easy do these install in the rear deck? I'm looking to replace the speakers, but want something I can drop in without much trouble.
honestly the space 6's fit great but you would want to use the tweeters from that set up also. BSW i believe sells just the speakers individually also so you might want to check on that.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #13
nvoges

My Ride: 01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowborder142190 View Post
honestly the space 6's fit great but you would want to use the tweeters from that set up also. BSW i believe sells just the speakers individually also so you might want to check on that.
Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I plan to use the tweeters and mids as well, I was just curious about the woofer. I'll have to check into these and report back. Anyone else use these? I can't seem to find any other reviews.
nvoges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
snowborder142190

Quote:
Originally Posted by blow me View Post
Wow! $1350 just for a CD player? I know it has a few upgrades on it, but I know some of us here are on a budget and can't blow that kind of money on a head unit. What do you suggest for around $400?
listen to it then tell me you wouldn't drop that kinda money on it. For $400 you have a ton of options. Kenwood or Pioneer are my top picks. Look through their websites and see what features you want. I really like the pandora link that allows you to play pandora radio and control it from the headunit but this requires you to have an iphone.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
snowborder142190

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoges View Post
Cool, thanks for the quick reply. I plan to use the tweeters and mids as well, I was just curious about the woofer. I'll have to check into these and report back. Anyone else use these? I can't seem to find any other reviews.
i have the space 6's in my car. They are a very nice speaker ( they are kinda a well know secret )

Last edited by snowborder142190; 05-26-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Good write up. Thanks.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
BillyJoelR

My Ride: Velvy B.
Subscribed.
Thanks for this.

BillyJoelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #18
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
thanks for the info i will be looking to replace my speakers with possibly bose or alpine price depending (if bose isn't much more then i will take em)
will most likely want to custom fit 6.5" instead of the 6.25" as they seem to be easier to find
any suggestion on a touchscreen headunit with iphone & usb support possibly pioneer or alpine?
i spoke with kpeng and he said pioneer headunits seem to be better than alpine but looking for a few suggestions to go through
expecting to take on this task begining of August so im starting the planning stage now
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Good write-up. I know you say (as many others do) that the BSW's aren't worth $600, but in your educated opinion, do they provide significantly better sound quality than the HK or only marginally better? (I imagine you are paying more due to plug and play, and looks as well... but does it bring the sound?) And to break it down further, better sound quality at low volume and/or loud?

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
snowborder142190

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Good write-up. I know you say (as many others do) that the BSW's aren't worth $600, but in your educated opinion, do they provide significantly better sound quality than the HK or only marginally better? (I imagine you are paying more due to plug and play, and looks as well... but does it bring the sound?) And to break it down further, better sound quality at low volume and/or loud?
Yes they are far better than stock but for the price you can get so much more.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp