E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Billy G

My Ride: 04 BMW 330i ZHP
Car Alarm Question

I did some searching through the forum but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I recently bought an 04 330i M-Performance which I presumed was fully loaded considering it even had the automatic sunscreen in the rear but I found out I do not have an alarm equipped with it, according to my VIN. When I lock my doors the red light on my rear-view mirror does flash. I thought that if the light flashes it has an alarm, apparently not true though. Under the hood near the front left headlight it looks like there is a siren, or is this my horn?

So in regards to getting an alarm put in, does anyone have any solid suggestions on what alarm system I should get? I know Viper is always a solid choice but is better suggestions, Bavarian, and where is a good place to buy these? Iíd like to install myself and learn a little about my car as clearly I donít know much as of now

Thanks for any help
Billy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I'd just retrofit the OEM alarm. You could buy the pieces brand new for about $300, or used for $150-200.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
328CIFANATIC

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy G View Post
I did some searching through the forum but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I recently bought an 04 330i M-Performance which I presumed was fully loaded considering it even had the automatic sunscreen in the rear but I found out I do not have an alarm equipped with it, according to my VIN. When I lock my doors the red light on my rear-view mirror does flash. I thought that if the light flashes it has an alarm, apparently not true though. Under the hood near the front left headlight it looks like there is a siren, or is this my horn?

So in regards to getting an alarm put in, does anyone have any solid suggestions on what alarm system I should get? I know Viper is always a solid choice but is better suggestions, Bavarian, and where is a good place to buy these? Iíd like to install myself and learn a little about my car as clearly I donít know much as of now

Thanks for any help
Where in Canada are you from???

Basically, the alarm siren is in behind the cabin air filter. Another thing to check is if there is an inclination sensor in the trunk. Should be on the right hand side right behind the wheel well. You have to pull the carpet liner back. You can also check to see if there is a motion sensor in the square thinf in the middle of the headliner inside your car...

If they are all there, then you have an alarm.

If not, get the BMW alarm from various e-bay sellers (UK sellers tend to be cheaper) compared to some forum members.

I bought mine that way and in total, all the parts cost me $100 total.

There is a DIY here:

http://www.my330i.com/mod8.php

Anyways, any other questions, feel free to ask, or just send me a PM

Cheers

328CIFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
328CIFANATIC

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328CI
Did a quick search on e-bay

Motion sensor, about $20

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E38-E39-E4...item25640f648a

Inclination sensor/tilt sensor is going to be around $30 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E46-Alarm-...item2a0a48738d

Now just wait for a siren to go up that's not going to cost you more than $60 shipped and you're set.

Cheers
328CIFANATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
King Kashi

My Ride: 06 BMW 330Ci M54 Eur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328CIFANATIC View Post
Where in Canada are you from???

Basically, the alarm siren is in behind the cabin air filter. Another thing to check is if there is an inclination sensor in the trunk. Should be on the right hand side right behind the wheel well. You have to pull the carpet liner back. You can also check to see if there is a motion sensor in the square thinf in the middle of the headliner inside your car...

If they are all there, then you have an alarm.

If not, get the BMW alarm from various e-bay sellers (UK sellers tend to be cheaper) compared to some forum members.

I bought mine that way and in total, all the parts cost me $100 total.

There is a DIY here:

http://www.my330i.com/mod8.php

Anyways, any other questions, feel free to ask, or just send me a PM

Cheers

i have the motion sensor in the middle of my roof of my car for sure, im ganna check out tomrw if the thing in the inclination sensor is in the trunk, i also have a box under my hood above my intake, if i have @ least the motion sensor and the box in the top right, does it mean i have a alarm for sure ??
King Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
okeydokey

My Ride: 2000 328ci TopazBlau
You can just set off the alarm to see if you have a siren.
Roll down the driver window, lock / arm the car then reach in and pop the hood open. When you open the hood the siren should go off, and lights flash.
If you have a siren I think its a safe bet that the rest of the alarm system has been installed into the car. Or you can do as others have suggested and look for the other alarm components in the car.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
If you program the E46 alarm menu saying "installed", the clown nose and blinking corner lights will flash when locking/ unlocking. This will happen even when the alarm hardware is not installed.
If you buy a pulled OEM alarm kit for about $170, you likely won't have to pay to the dealer to activate because of the coding that is now done.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Not true. The option to flash the lights without the alarm and the alarm retrofit are separate. The flashing is exactly that - "flash lights if DWA not present", a cosmetic feature activated via car memory if memory serves. DWA activation is done via the retrofit menu in programming on DIS, and is likely another "activation" altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
If you program the E46 alarm menu saying "installed", the clown nose and blinking corner lights will flash when locking/ unlocking. This will happen even when the alarm hardware is not installed.
If you buy a pulled OEM alarm kit for about $170, you likely won't have to pay to the dealer to activate because of the coding that is now done.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Not true. The option to flash the lights without the alarm and the alarm retrofit are separate. The flashing is exactly that - "flash lights if DWA not present", a cosmetic feature activated via car memory if memory serves. DWA activation is done via the retrofit menu in programming on DIS, and is likely another "activation" altogether.
I guess I lucked out due to the way my shop activated the flashing features. When they activated it, the DWA module showed an "equipment not installed" error. When I bought the sensors and siren it didn't need further activation to work.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
King Kashi

I did the radioshack siren beep for locking and unlocking doors, but im not that happy with it so im just going to buy a OEM siren from EBAY also a TILT SENSOR, i have the motion sensor already, my lights flash when i lock and unlock the doors, so when i receive the siren and the tilt sensor, all i have to do is PLUG AND PLAY ?? cuz im guessing my ALARM system is already activated by my lights FLASHING when i lock and unlock doors ??
Old 06-26-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kashi View Post
I did the radioshack siren beep for locking and unlocking doors, but im not that happy with it so im just going to buy a OEM siren from EBAY also a TILT SENSOR, i have the motion sensor already, my lights flash when i lock and unlock the doors, so when i receive the siren and the tilt sensor, all i have to do is PLUG AND PLAY ?? cuz im guessing my ALARM system is already activated by my lights FLASHING when i lock and unlock doors ??
Not necessarily. You will probably get the beep, but the tilt sensor and interior motion sensor might not be activated. One way to test if your car is programmed for the alarm or not is to try to trip panic mode (hold the trunk button down for 5 seconds or s0). If the lights start flashing like crazy, then your car is coded for the alarm and just missing the pieces. If they don't, then you need to get your car coded for the alarm (even if your lights flash and the siren beeps)
Old 06-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
King Kashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Not necessarily. You will probably get the beep, but the tilt sensor and interior motion sensor might not be activated. One way to test if your car is programmed for the alarm or not is to try to trip panic mode (hold the trunk button down for 5 seconds or s0). If the lights start flashing like crazy, then your car is coded for the alarm and just missing the pieces. If they don't, then you need to get your car coded for the alarm (even if your lights flash and the siren beeps)

When i hold down my trunk button, nothing happens as in the LIGHTS DO NOT FLASH, lets say after i get all the parts, and i connect them, and i try to do the panic again and it starts doing all that, then i should be good ?, also does n e 1 kw how much the DEALER usually charges to CODE the ALARM ??
Old 06-26-2011, 06:15 AM   #13
King Kashi

Also im wondering does n e 1 kw WUT PART NUMBERS u need for the MOTION and TILT sensor, i have seen 2 diff ones on EBAY, both for E46 but part #'s r diff.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #14
TerraPhantm

Quote:
When i hold down my trunk button, nothing happens as in the LIGHTS DO NOT FLASH, lets say after i get all the parts, and i connect them, and i try to do the panic again and it starts doing all that, then i should be good ?, also does n e 1 kw how much the DEALER usually charges to CODE the ALARM ??
If it doesn't do it now, your car isn't coded for the alarm. Even if you plug all the stuff in, the tilt and motion sensors won't be active.

Dealer would probably charge an hour's labor to activate it
Old 06-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
StrikeTwo

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy G View Post
So in regards to getting an alarm put in, does anyone have any solid suggestions on what alarm system I should get? I know Viper is always a solid choice but is better suggestions, Bavarian, and where is a good place to buy these? I'd like to install myself and learn a little about my car as clearly I don't know much as of now

Thanks for any help
1. go here and figure out your part numbers
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...burglar_alarm/

2. go here and search for the parts that you need and buy them.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...72&catalogid=0
( here's a link to the complete alarm kit that they sell http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462 )

3. wait 1-2 weeks for your items to arive at your doorstep

4. install your new items into your vehicle.

5. have your favorite BMW service activate the features of your alarm for you. (or go out and buy your own $35-$1200 software online and do it yourself)

Here's an image that show the many options available for your preferences. It is wise to know exactly what you want if you have "them" do it since they will most likely charge you everytime you wish to change it. ($80-$160 at dealer)

I hope this helps...

view current mods
2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Last edited by StrikeTwo; 06-26-2011 at 01:07 PM.
StrikeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
330ci.zhp

My Ride: 2005 zhp
when I bought my car I also thought it had an alarm but it turns out it was prewired for it, so I bought all the components and they arrived yesterday so I install them. As I was all done close the doors and lock my car, no beep. When I unlocked them the siren beeped but it was really quite, I couldnt even hear it. So I went to the stealership and asked them to give an quote and the lady told me $117 to activate it and if needs to be reprogramed I have to pay $170+, I was like WTF?!? My question is where else can I go to activate my alarm for cheap?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
The guy who said to hold down the trunk button was mistaken
Panic button is holding down the lock button

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Bimmer App

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
330ci.zhp

My Ride: 2005 zhp
Found an Indy shop that works on euro cars and they will activate my alarm for $40 which is way cheaper than the stealership
Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #19
Vault

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
The guy who said to hold down the trunk button was mistaken
Panic button is holding down the lock button
My car doesn't do either, but I'm sure that I read in the manual or some official literature somewhere that it was the trunk button.

Plasti Dip Tutorial: [Link]
Vault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #20
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci.zhp View Post
Found an Indy shop that works on euro cars and they will activate my alarm for $40 which is way cheaper than the stealership
good find
Lemonsqr is offline   Reply With Quote