E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 AM   #21
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about. My Kimber did that. It's a form of stovepipe malfuction, and is the stovepipe I was referring to. It's because of the ramp and chamber being too tight of tolerance. If you want the problem to reduce, get a heavier spring. If you want it to be eliminated, either start handloading your ammo or get it milled by a gunsmith. If you handload your ammo and put on tighter crimps, your Kimber will run like a Swiss clock. Getting it milled is the permanent and more reliable solution, though.

If you call Kimber, they won't talk to you about it over the phone. It doesn't matter who you are. They will answer hypothetical questions, but that's about it. You'll be required to prove ownership and date of purchase, send it in at your own expense, and then they'll ship it back to you when complete, also at your expense. Likely they will tell you that it's nothing wrong mechanically, and they'll tell you they can mill it out for you, but you'll have to pay for it since it's not a warranty issue.
Kimber doesn't really view that as a problem. It hampers reliability, but it does lend to Kimbers being incredibly accurate. To date, my Kimber is probably the most accurate handgun I've shot. There is some logic behind it for competition and target shooting. This is also part of the reason why LAPD guns (TLE, TLE/RL, SIS) are not the "Premium Match Grade" level, and just standard "Match Grade". The high-end guns are too picky. The same goes for the DesertWarrior pistols issued to USMC MEU-SOC. Of course, those guns are custom-built for those groups, so I suspect that they're not using commercial tolerances, but instead using agency-specific tolerances.
I know a lot of cops that carry 1911s, and they all carry Springfields, Colts, Paras or Wilson Combats.

More than likely he's limp-wristing the gun. I've seen people develop a nasty flinching from shooting the compensated models. They have a lot of "bark" to them, so it's possible that he's developed some kind of psycho-physiological coping or compensating action that is causing the gun to malfunction. Glocks don't have a ton of mass, so you need to counter the recoil. You can't just allow it to recoil back.
That, or he's using inadequate ammunition. The malfunction trouble-shooting order for from most common to least common with Glocks is SAMM:
S-Shooter
A-Ammo
M-Magazine
M-Mechanical

For polymer guns, the best way to diagnose a malfunction issue is to have someone else shoot it. Preferably someone who is familiar with polymer guns and their shooting dynamic. If the problem clears itself up, then you know it's the shooter. If the problem persists, then go to different ammo.

I don't know if you've determined what ammo you're going to carry in your G26 or not, but I would recommend that you use 124gr +P loads with a bonded hollow-point bullet. The Federal Tactical HST 124gr+P and Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P are the two best, but others to consider are the Winchester Bonded PDX 124gr+P and Remington Golden Saber Bonded 124gr.
Great read in this thread and great info. I keep Cor-Bon in my Glock 21...and still keep Golden Saber in my Glock 26. I shoot over 300 rounds every week and an heading out tomorrow with a friend...token pic of my Glock 26 with Nemisis holster and paddle holster. I like the CT...but with no turn off...pain at the range.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #22
carcus

And...I have no idea why my ex-Army friend got a compensated Glock 19.....no reason for that in a 9mm with that size. It is loud as hell though....LOL. I was thinking a Glock 27C but chose the Glock 26 for follow up shots. Right now, I am happy with my rig. Still want to shoot a 27C..... just to see the difference. My experience with over 20 years of shooting....in the military...the Glock is my gun..Kimber 1911...would never carry. Norinco MAK-90........love it over any AR-15...Kel-Tec SUB2000 40 S&W...fun gun and fits in my backpack for a Colorado hiking trip.....Walther P22....besides being a pain in the arse to get the spring back in.....great fun gun.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #23
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Which CorBon ammo do you use? Standard JHP, or the DPX?

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #24
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
carcus, what sleeve is on your g21? and is it a 3rd gen or newer?
tia
Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
carcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmikey View Post
carcus, what sleeve is on your g21? and is it a 3rd gen or newer?
tia
Gen 3, Pachmayr grip....I love them.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #26
carcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Which CorBon ammo do you use? Standard JHP, or the DPX?
JHP for defense ammo.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #27
carcus

Also...just a review..Crimson Trace for the Glock 26 is not so great. Removed it and added my Pachmyer grip. Crimson Trace in the pic I posted hampers the slide pull and is way too much of a distraction for a small pocket gun, like the 26. Put 200 more rounds through it...now it is my broken in gun I can trust my life with. Going with the Keep It Simple Stupid method.

Kimber 1911...about 5 failure to loads after a good cleaning again, once I tapped the back of the slide...it would load the ammo. No reason I have to slap the back of the slide....when it has a FTL...the back slide tap makes it load. Other times...it stays open with slide back...in mid mag load.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 AM   #28
tailo

My Ride: 02 330I
I've had a 3rd gen 26 for a long time now, slides all greyish, getting kinda beat looking. I perfer my old gen 2 22 personally.
tailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #29
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
thanks carcus, wish i'd checked the thread before i went to the gun show today!
Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #30
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmikey View Post
thanks carcus, wish i'd checked the thread before i went to the gun show today!
Why? What'd you do?

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote