E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Bad00ss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chitown
Posts: 110
My Ride: 02 330ci
A/C fan wont turn on, does not blow out of vents....

I have a 2002 330ci coupe. This happens a few times a week, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. When you turn the A/C on the fan does not blow the air out of the vents at any speed selected. The car may sit for a few days and you start it up and try again and its blowing out normal. I cant figure it out. Its been doing it alot lately. I was thinking its maybe a blower motor resistor or the blower motor itself or possibly the heater controls under the radio? What parts do I need to check and how hard is the install?
__________________
-2000 Camaro SS
-2002 330ci
Bad00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
snowborder142190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 590
My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad00ss View Post
I have a 2002 330ci coupe. This happens a few times a week, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. When you turn the A/C on the fan does not blow the air out of the vents at any speed selected. The car may sit for a few days and you start it up and try again and its blowing out normal. I cant figure it out. Its been doing it alot lately. I was thinking its maybe a blower motor resistor or the blower motor itself or possibly the heater controls under the radio? What parts do I need to check and how hard is the install?

Does it do it more when it's hot out? If so you need to replace the final stage resistor.
__________________
snowborder142190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Bad00ss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chitown
Posts: 110
My Ride: 02 330ci
possibly. it was 86 degrees yesterday when i tried and it did not work. I just went into the garage and started it and the car says its 67 in my garage and it turned on and worked perfectly.
__________________
-2000 Camaro SS
-2002 330ci
Bad00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
snowborder142190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 590
My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad00ss View Post
possibly. it was 86 degrees yesterday when i tried and it did not work. I just went into the garage and started it and the car says its 67 in my garage and it turned on and worked perfectly.
Yup it's the fsr.


Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp
__________________
snowborder142190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
Bad00ss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chitown
Posts: 110
My Ride: 02 330ci
Where is the FSR located and how hard do you think the install is? Is this a dealer item only or will my local parts store have one?
__________________
-2000 Camaro SS
-2002 330ci
Bad00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
snowborder142190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 590
My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad00ss View Post
Where is the FSR located and how hard do you think the install is? Is this a dealer item only or will my local parts store have one?
Ecstuning.com has them and so does every other sponsor. Also the install is kinda a pain unless you have small hands but it is still a DIY item. The fsr is behind the glove compartment. There are many diys on it so just search around.
__________________
snowborder142190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Bad00ss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chitown
Posts: 110
My Ride: 02 330ci
I have the FSR on order but now my battery went dead! I drove the car earlier in the day yesterday and when I hopped in it at night the battery was dead. my buddy told me my battery is probably fine, the final stage resistor that is going bad kept my fan motor on slightly the whole time the car was off and killed the battery. Is this possible? or do you think its a coincidence and my battery took a **** now too?
__________________
-2000 Camaro SS
-2002 330ci
Bad00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
snowborder142190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 590
My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad00ss View Post
I have the FSR on order but now my battery went dead! I drove the car earlier in the day yesterday and when I hopped in it at night the battery was dead. my buddy told me my battery is probably fine, the final stage resistor that is going bad kept my fan motor on slightly the whole time the car was off and killed the battery. Is this possible? or do you think its a coincidence and my battery took a **** now too?
No that's not possible for it to keep the fan motor on without you knowing it. I think it was just the batteries time. Go get the battery tested.


Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp
__________________
snowborder142190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
lookie2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6
My Ride: 325i
I encounter the same problem going to NJ last week. After driving for 30 minutes, it started getting hot and I tried turning on the AC, but it didn't work. Finally, I got to my destination and shut off my engine. After a 4-5 hours, I went to test the Fan and AC and it worked perfectly.

A few days afterwards, I was driving home and my service engine light came on. Took it to a mechanic in Flushing and the computer read PO174 (System too lean). Could it be related to the FAN and AC not working a few days before?
lookie2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
snowborder142190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 590
My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookie2k View Post
I encounter the same problem going to NJ last week. After driving for 30 minutes, it started getting hot and I tried turning on the AC, but it didn't work. Finally, I got to my destination and shut off my engine. After a 4-5 hours, I went to test the Fan and AC and it worked perfectly.

A few days afterwards, I was driving home and my service engine light came on. Took it to a mechanic in Flushing and the computer read PO174 (System too lean). Could it be related to the FAN and AC not working a few days before?
No that code has to do with a vacuum leak.


Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp
__________________
snowborder142190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
lookie2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6
My Ride: 325i
Damn it! Looks like I got two problems on my hand. Any tips on how to fix the vacuum leak?
lookie2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
snowborder142190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 590
My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookie2k View Post
Damn it! Looks like I got two problems on my hand. Any tips on how to fix the vacuum leak?
That code came up for me when I had a leak in the intake line. However there are many places that can have a vacuum leak. I would start by looking at the intake line right where it hooks to the throttle body.


Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp
__________________
snowborder142190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
lookie2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 6
My Ride: 325i
Could the leak also affect my AC/Fan system? Maybe not enough air going through the system.?
lookie2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:45 AM   #14
snowborder142190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 590
My Ride: 08 335i coupe '09 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookie2k View Post
Could the leak also affect my AC/Fan system? Maybe not enough air going through the system.?
No it's a completely different system.


Sent from my iPhone 4 using BimmerApp
__________________
snowborder142190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
schulmann
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 186
My Ride: BMW 330ci
Same problem here. The blower AC/Heater motor is not working.
This is a know issue on older E46 cars. You have to replace the final stage blower resistor.
__________________
schulmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Sansho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,916
My Ride: 2001 325i
Just happened to me yesterday .... FSR is on order.
__________________
.
Sansho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
BayrischeMotorWerk
Registered User
 
BayrischeMotorWerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 121
My Ride: 320d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
Just happened to me yesterday .... FSR is on order.
Changed mine today and recorded a video.


Last edited by BayrischeMotorWerk; 07-14-2011 at 06:12 AM.
BayrischeMotorWerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #18
younGun392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Cyprus
Posts: 135
My Ride: S.L.O.W
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayrischeMotorWerk View Post
Changed mine today and recorded a video.


You are a lifesaver! Today I nearly went mad trying to find out what could be the reason as my blower suddenly decided to not work. Just like that. I literally checked every single fuse 3 times, checked all wires coming in and out the the a/c bay and was close to crying after I found out here that it had nothing to do with all the work I'd carried out.

Anyway, was your fan not blowing completely also? or was is just erratic in behaviour?
younGun392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #19
younGun392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Cyprus
Posts: 135
My Ride: S.L.O.W
Btw, is my FSR is on the right hand side also, even though it is a right hand drive?
younGun392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #20
dauble2k5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: 46204
Posts: 357
My Ride: Facelift Coupe
Good luck with the final stage resistor, just a head's up, it's a PITA to get to. Took me about an hour, just getting the part loose. Here's the DIY I used: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=713544
__________________
dauble2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use