E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Interested in buying an M4

So I want to buy an M4 in the near future but know literally nothing about them. Could someone list up articles to give me a basic idea about the gun, how it works, the different components and pieces? Also, what are some good brands? What about after market parts? What would be some good upgrades? Sorry if these questions are vague, I just don't know enough to more specific. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
What you want is an AR-15, which is the civilian version of the M4. There are a few posts here with some basics of the AR. Just use the search for titles for AR-15.

I would also suggest going here: http://www.m4carbine.net/forum.php and read through the sticky threads. That will give you all of the information that you will ever need to know and then some.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
M4carbine.net and AR15.com ("arfcom") have some sticky threads that will have a lot of good info. Just make sure you pay attention to the basic information and don't get sucked into the arguments and weird claims that pop up. On those forums, the Moderators and about 20% of the members know their stuff. The other 80% don't know a whole lot; and of that 80%, at least half talk out of their ass and give bad info to everyone else.

I would also recommend that you check out this thread from Officer.com. It's great info and the people there know what they're talking about.
So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

One thing I would recommend doing is to locate someone near you who knows about ARs, if possible. Part of your issue is that NY has special laws, so be aware of what laws you need to follow. A larger gun shop will have info for you as well.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 05-31-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Especially in NY man. Be careful about what you're buying; where it comes from; and what is attached to it.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Thanks for the posts guys, really helpful. Now I gotta start my research. Just to get a rough estimate, how much is a decent AR-15 with a few parts that you'd recommend upgrading? Like adding a sight or stock or something.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
Reedo302

A moderately equipped AR with iron sights from a quality manufacturer will cost you between $1200-1500. A quality optic will cost you between $200-800, depending on what you want it to do. In both cases, the more you spend, the more you get.
Rifle companies I would recommend you to consider are Del-Ton, Spikes Tactical, Smith&Wesson, SLR15, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Knight Arms. Not an exclusive list, but the contenders for good quality.

Glock Armorer

Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Smith and Wesson is offering the M&P Sport, which I believe you can find for around $650. It's definately an entry level rifle, but it would get you into the AR platform for much less and you can see if you like it or not. It's missing some key features of more expensive rifles (Forward Assist, Dust Cover, Chrome Lined Barrel). You would probably never miss those anyway if you are a weekend shooter, and by the time you do miss them you will be ready to updgrade anyway.

Just something to think about.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
^ Excellent recommendation. While Reedo especially may have noticed i'm a S&W whore their offerings are hard to beat. Your most logical path would be to start at a gun store in your area though. Walk in and talk to MORE than one. Hit at least three. Between the three you should be able to divulge a straight answer as to what's legal in your state using process of elimination .

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Reedo302

I keep on hearing more and more good things about S&W rifles. Gotta say that I given the people who have had positive things to say, I'd be willing to give the company my endorsement. S&W has really stepped it up in the past couple years, and they really do seem like they are listening to the market and working to make what people want. The M&P line of pistols, revolvers and rifles are evidence of that. The Sport is the only rifle of theirs that I consider to be a waste. I just can't stomach getting a rifle without those features. That being said, Serbonze is right in that for the average recreational shooter, it's more than adequate.

Glock Armorer

Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
This is next up on my list. building or buying an ar15.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Again, great responses guys. Thanks a lot! I'll definitely be taking a look at the S&W rifle, sounds like it'd be a good start.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #12
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

So I've been doing some reading about NY state gun laws and wow do they suck....really put's a limit on what I can add to the gun

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=307707
Old 06-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
Reedo302

Well, to be fair to NY's laws, those "evil features" cause the bullets to become explosive and heat-seeking, and they have a tendency to be drawn to babies. NY is saving the lives of untold numbers of children ages 8 weeks to 18 months.

Glock Armorer

Old 06-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Well, to be fair to NY's laws, those "evil features" cause the bullets to become explosive and heat-seeking, and they have a tendency to be drawn to babies. NY is saving the lives of untold numbers of children ages 8 weeks to 18 months.
Hahaha I really don't want to comply to these bullshit laws. Fuckkkkk
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
Adam@Euro-Spec, build it!
you'll feel like you popped the home-coming queen!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
S&W sport definately looks like the rifle i will buy in the near future. i was looking into their 15/22 to tinker around with but for a few hundred bucks more i can get a barebones .223. honestly though, i dont see a reason to spend more just to get features that i probably wont ever need. the FA for instance, yeah.. its good for when u absolutely need to pump a round out in a life or death situation. but for your average shooter at a range i dont see the need to force a round to chamber when i can simply eject the round and load a new one. and for the dust cover, not really needed for the average shooter. perhaps the only thing that i would miss would be the chrome barrel. however from what i read the barrel on the sport holds up almost just as well. just have to keep her clean.

i really dont understand why the sport has such a bad reputation.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #17
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
S&W sport definately looks like the rifle i will buy in the near future. i was looking into their 15/22 to tinker around with but for a few hundred bucks more i can get a barebones .223. honestly though, i dont see a reason to spend more just to get features that i probably wont ever need. the FA for instance, yeah.. its good for when u absolutely need to pump a round out in a life or death situation. but for your average shooter at a range i dont see the need to force a round to chamber when i can simply eject the round and load a new one. and for the dust cover, not really needed for the average shooter. perhaps the only thing that i would miss would be the chrome barrel. however from what i read the barrel on the sport holds up almost just as well. just have to keep her clean.

i really dont understand why the sport has such a bad reputation.
I think it only has a bad reputation from people who think that the average shooter needs to have a near copy of a military rifle. And if you don't, you have committed a grave sin and should be stoned to death.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #18
Reedo302

The SPORT gets a bad reputation because it's a stripped-down model. It's why people get made fun of for driving Chevy Aveos and Ford Fiestas.
Considering that 90% of all AR owners and shooters don't do any significant amount of shooting with their rifles, it's not necessary to have the full enchilada; so why not save a few bucks? If, however, you're a pretty dedicated shooter who will be busting out a couple thousand rounds or more every year, or you plan on using the rifle in any professional capacity, then you need to look at a more mil-spec option.

Glock Armorer

Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #19
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

A thread popped up on M4Carbine about the Sport. I was actually quite shocked at the positive reviews that came out from those guys. Typically, anything that is not strictly mil-spec is trashed, but they definitely approve!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ighlight=sport
Old 07-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #20
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I keep on hearing more and more good things about S&W rifles. Gotta say that I given the people who have had positive things to say, I'd be willing to give the company my endorsement. S&W has really stepped it up in the past couple years, and they really do seem like they are listening to the market and working to make what people want. The M&P line of pistols, revolvers and rifles are evidence of that. The Sport is the only rifle of theirs that I consider to be a waste. I just can't stomach getting a rifle without those features. That being said, Serbonze is right in that for the average recreational shooter, it's more than adequate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
A thread popped up on M4Carbine about the Sport. I was actually quite shocked at the positive reviews that came out from those guys. Typically, anything that is not strictly mil-spec is trashed, but they definitely approve!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....ighlight=sport
I've just decided on my next firearm/AR. I don't need to drop a thousand bucks to have a truly enjoyable, reliable and accurate (+ or - operator skill) AR for range fun/plinking.

This rifle sounds perfect for what I've been looking for; especially on a self-supporting college-student budget!
-Chris

Last edited by E92M; 07-06-2011 at 03:31 AM.
E92M is offline   Reply With Quote