E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
small_m

My Ride: 2002 325xit
Question zhp cams in a 325??

Hi
Has anyone put zhp cams in a 325 motor. I know that they will machanically fit. I am sure they would run just fine without a tune as they are quite mild, just wondered if anyone has done this??
Thanks
small_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Wish I could help you out.

You'd probably see better gains if you added the B30 intake manifold, too.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
loose power maybe.. without a good tune.. best bet would just be a new diff
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
loose power maybe.. without a good tune.. best bet would just be a new diff
The ZHP cam does not need a tune of any kind. In fact, there is absolutely no difference between a ZHP, and non-ZHP software of the same model year. The only difference is that BMW threw in a different cam with a very mild increase in duration.

If you were paying someone to install the ZHP cams at a shop, your gain per $$$ will be much less than if you spent the extra $800 and got a set of Schricks.

If you are looking for "power", and are keeping the car for a while, I'd forget all the simple bolt-on stuff and just save up for an FI kit like the Technique Tuning turbo.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
the raised red line would be a difference, wouldn't it?

lol
Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
The ZHP cam does not need a tune of any kind. In fact, there is absolutely no difference between a ZHP, and non-ZHP software of the same model year. The only difference is that BMW threw in a different cam with a very mild increase in duration.

If you were paying someone to install the ZHP cams at a shop, your gain per $$$ will be much less than if you spent the extra $800 and got a set of Schricks.

If you are looking for "power", and are keeping the car for a while, I'd forget all the simple bolt-on stuff and just save up for an FI kit like the Technique Tuning turbo.
im sure there has o be some sort of difference in a tune even if it is bearlely noticable
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
im sure there has o be some sort of difference in a tune even if it is bearlely noticable
I'm not qualified to respond to that from personal experience, but my source is....

Who is your source?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
jc179

My Ride: 2004-325xi,87-5000TQ
I've wondered this for a while too, I've have the 330 zhp cams sitting in my basement for a year now that I bought some time ago but haven't installed them yet. [reason is i'm swapping my 325 to 330 motor, so I'm slowly collecting pieces]. If I had the tools to line up the cam sprockets for the two cams I'd be tempted to do it just to answer the question. I know blockedout posted a cam change diy, but lining up the two sprockets isn't covered, and I don't see a way to do it unless someone's counted the links between two marks on the cam gears?

I can add that for now I'm running the ActiveAutowerke DME that's setup to run my 330 with zhp cams, I can say the 325 engine definately seems much more lively now, Feels faster but I haven't dyno'd before or after so it really means nothing at the end of the day.
jc179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
rmepilot

My Ride: '01 325i, OH-58D(R)
Send a message via AIM to rmepilot
I'm running ZHP cams in my 325i w/ shark injector and until a few days ago, a Conforti intake.

The Conforti PPG foam air filter disintegrated while cleaning and now I'm waiting to install a BMW Performance CAI to replace it. Also, my Dinan TB died the minute the warranty ran out (2 years ago), so that is back to stock.

I can't say if the $$ spent was worth it or not, but I wanted to try anyway.

All in all, the car seems to have more pull and is still fun to drive, but it has never seen a dyno and under my ownership, never will.

The original plan was to also add headers and at Borla cat back, which might have made the 2.5l perform even better, but then "life" got in the way.

This project started over five years ago and now I'm looking into buying a 335i instead of pouring more $$ into a car with over 200k on it.

GL with your quest.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I'm not qualified to respond to that from personal experience, but my source is....

Who is your source?
I can bearlely believe this question. Why isn't steven747's authority in these matters is being recognized?! Fuck!

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 07-08-2011 at 06:48 AM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote