E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
HELP: parasitic drain

Having some sort of parasitic drain on my battery (need to jump it every time I drive) and so I wanted to figure out if it's the battery, alternator or climate control unit.

Alternator test
- all accessories on (wipers, radio, lights, sub, fan) while car was running
- reached 13.9v

Climate control
- replaced FSR, blower speeds are now distinguishable from low-med-high
- however, still get the random blower speeds @ startup about once a day

Battery
- 14.12v while running (no accessories)
- 12v sitting
- however, charged battery to 75% with charger, car would not turn over and just made that clicking noise
- tested battery and found it at 1% charge

I know it's not the starter or ignition coils because my car starts with a jump everytime (portable jumper) but it's beginning to be a PITA

Any help would be MUCH appreciated as I'm trying to avoid going to a shop to charge me $200+ only to find out it was something I could have replaced myself

Thanks!

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
Chris-alfonso

My Ride: 330i
When was the last time you got a new battery? because it sounds like your battery the issue.

the climate control problem is it set to auto or manual fan speed? if it's at auto it will have a higher fan speed at start up to try and bring the interior temp to what you have it selected too.

Last edited by Chris-alfonso; 06-01-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Chris-alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
WheyArea

Previous owner bought the battery less than a year ago, but I think because I've been jump starting it everyday for the past 2 weeks w/o finding the culprit I may have zapped the battery cells.

I'll definitely have to buy a new one it seems. My biggest problem is figuring out if the climate control unit is what was sucking up all the juice to begin with. If so, a new battery will have the same issues. I never leave the fan on auto and always have it off before I turn off the car. Yet it still turns on at start-up with random temps and auto function

Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
Chris-alfonso

get a new battery. that should solve your power issues and make sure to get the right one.

as for the AC problem thats really strange maybe you have a ghost in your car that gets hot/cold in the middle of the night and turns it on and off periodically I can't recall exactly but I think someone posted up something about the AC issue but it had something to do with that auto button.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
WheyArea

The E46 Ghost.... the one who keeps causing all the random rough idles, cooling issues and subframe cracks. That'll be the old crazy-man-ghost stories we tell kids who want to purchase one.

Going to check out Walmart tomorrow to see if they still sell those EverStart replacement batteries for $75

Last edited by WheyArea; 06-01-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
Chris-alfonso

sounds about right lol

I haven't heard about that battery but I have the Duralast 94R and it's pretty good, lasted me 4 years and counting (knock on wood)
Old 06-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
If you plan on replacing your battery, get a replacement battery at 'interstate'

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...r/Default.aspx

Ask for Econo batteries ~ refurbish ones; our battery is only $40. Give them a call before you drive down there.

I have it in my car for 3 years now.

BMW /// 323i

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
WheyArea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-alfonso View Post
sounds about right lol

I haven't heard about that battery but I have the Duralast 94R and it's pretty good, lasted me 4 years and counting (knock on wood)
I found ppl use that Duralast 94R but it seems they only sell it at Autozone and they're over $100+ vs. $70 just a few years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsellsell2000 View Post
If you plan on replacing your battery, get a replacement battery at 'interstate' .
Thanks Alex, I'll check it out. BTW how was the meet on Fri?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
sellsellsell2000

My Ride: E46 seden
Send a message via AIM to sellsellsell2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyArea View Post
I found ppl use that Duralast 94R but it seems they only sell it at Autozone and they're over $100+ vs. $70 just a few years ago

Thanks Alex, I'll check it out. BTW how was the meet on Fri?
The Friday meet are cool. Come check it out when you're free. I noticed you been busy.

BMW /// 323i

OEM M-Tech II front & rear bumper /// Cluster Ring /// Grimace Fog Lights /// CCFL angel eye

330i Diff /// REMUS Exhaust /// Heat Shield Cold Air Intake

sellsellsell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #10
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
I had a battery drain problem and it turned out that I had a bad resistor (I believe it had something to do with the car stereo). The bad resistor kept the car from "sleeping" and thus the battery was draining because everything couldn't shut off. Once that problem was fixed, we realized that the (relatively new) battery had a few cells killed due to multiple jump starts, so a full recharge fixed that problem. It's been fine ever since (knock on wood).

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #11
WheyArea

How'd you figure out it was a bad resistor? Do you have the PN#?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #12
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyArea View Post
How'd you figure out it was a bad resistor? Do you have the PN#?
The dealership did. It was fixed under CPO so I'll see if I have the part #. The tech remembered that he had seen that type of problem before because they tried everything and couldn't figure it out until he remembered that issue. They did a long term battery drain test to help diagnose the problem. I'll let you know tomorrow what the part # is if I have it.

AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
Old 06-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
search for the battery thread. a lot of people are using the walmart battery with great results. As for what it could be. Start pulling fuses at night till you find the one that stops (or doesnt stop) the problem. The resistor issue the person mentioned could be something to do with the K-Bus which is what controls most of the interface between electronics. you need to search, but I think its fuse 54. if you kill that (and your door locks, and a bunch of other stuff will go crazy), that may be the culprit. in my old school car installer days we used to say Identify (the problem), Isolate (the cause), Eliminate (the issue). Start eliminating stuff via pulling fuses.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
WheyArea

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
The dealership did. It was fixed under CPO so I'll see if I have the part #. The tech remembered that he had seen that type of problem before because they tried everything and couldn't figure it out until he remembered that issue. They did a long term battery drain test to help diagnose the problem. I'll let you know tomorrow what the part # is if I have it.
Thanks buddy, any help is much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
search for the battery thread. a lot of people are using the walmart battery with great results. As for what it could be. Start pulling fuses at night till you find the one that stops (or doesnt stop) the problem. The resistor issue the person mentioned could be something to do with the K-Bus which is what controls most of the interface between electronics. you need to search, but I think its fuse 54. if you kill that (and your door locks, and a bunch of other stuff will go crazy), that may be the culprit. in my old school car installer days we used to say Identify (the problem), Isolate (the cause), Eliminate (the issue). Start eliminating stuff via pulling fuses.
I'm going to start this tonight. Last night I charged my batt to 100% and in the morning it was @ 75% so it's not the alternator. This car is my DD but I really want to test driving/leaving the car without the climate control unit too. Too bad it's raining so I'm going to need the defrost

Old 06-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
johnrando

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
The part was the "final stage blower resistor". One the worksheet, I have the following #'s:

7468WBCPO
64-11-6-920-365 (think that's the part #)

GL!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #16
aznalan15

My Ride: e36 328i/e46 m3
sorry about reviving thread from the dead

curious about the "final stage blow resistor", where is it located?
aznalan15 is offline   Reply With Quote