E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
DBMW

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
Unhappy Central Locking Problem

Ok guys, I hope one of you extremely knowledgeable individuals can help with this problem that is causing me to do this ...

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a 2000 BMW 323i from a private seller. I was told that the key could not lock or open the doors. This was confirmed when the key was handed to me wrapped in electrical tape. Apparently, they tried to see if they could fix it, but once they opened it they decided to leave it alone. It uses the diamond key. So this is the problem...

- I can't open the driver side door with the ignition key
- I CAN open the trunk fine by inserting the key
- I CAN lock/unlock the doors from the inside with the middle console lock button
- The fuel door filler actuator will not lock the fuel door. If I force it closed manually from the inside, it will unlock if I press the middle console button, but it will NOT lock electronically.
- I can also open the doors manually from inside with no problem.
- All the fuses in the glove compartment are A-ok!
- I replaced the 3-volt battery in the key and closed it back up. I can't tell if it is working for sure since there are no lights on it.

I have tried multiple times to program the key with various methods with no success. I tried everything even going as far as sticking the key up my a** pulling it out and holding the unlock button while pressing the lock button 3 times...the locking mechanism still fails to respond

I mentioned the deal with the fuel door because someone mentioned at another forum that if the actuator for the fuel door is failing, the key will not initialize, can someone confirm if this is true??? I am confused as to why it unlocks, but fails to lock

I pulled the panel out of the rear window driver side to confirm that the antenna for the FOB is installed and it is.

I have heard a lot about the GM5, but I don't think that applies to my problem.

I have been trying to be patient with this issue, but leaving my car unlocked is really beginning to get on my nerves. I can't even go to the Apple store at the fear that someone is going to go in my car while I am away.

Give me a hand...anyone

Last edited by DBMW; 06-01-2011 at 02:00 AM.
DBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
missamo80

My Ride: 2001 325i
Try mailing Scott at www.bmwgm5.com. He can tell you pretty quickly whether it's a GM5 issue, and if not, what it might be.

Neil
missamo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
DBMW

Thanks for your help Neil. I sent them an email so hopefully they will be able to narrow down the problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMW View Post
- I can't open the driver side door with the ignition key
Lock cylinder is broken. You need a new one. For your 2000 vehicle the p/n is 51218244049. Cost is about $90. Show your ID and vehicle registration when ordering.

Quote:
- The fuel door filler actuator will not lock the fuel door. If I force it closed manually from the inside, it will unlock if I press the middle console button, but it will NOT lock electronically.
Fuel door can only be locked via the key in the door or via the key fob.

Quote:
- I replaced the 3-volt battery in the key and closed it back up. I can't tell if it is working for sure since there are no lights on it.
I have repaired many diamond keys and have yet to find one with a dead battery. For me the keys have had other issues.

Quote:
I mentioned the deal with the fuel door because someone mentioned at another forum that if the actuator for the fuel door is failing, the key will not initialize, can someone confirm if this is true??? I am confused as to why it unlocks, but fails to lock
I am unaware of any fuel door problems causing the key sync to not work.

Quote:
I have heard a lot about the GM5, but I don't think that applies to my problem.
I don't think the GM5 is your problem either.

Quote:
I have been trying to be patient with this issue, but leaving my car unlocked is really beginning to get on my nerves.
Spend the money and replace the lock cylinder. Then lock and unlock your car via the key. You don't expect an 11 year old car to be perfect do you. Spend the money and get it fixed.

Quote:
I have tried multiple times to program the key with various methods with no success. ...the locking mechanism still fails to respond
I'll say it again, replace the lock cylinder. If the key still fails to sync after it's replaced then come back and post.

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
DBMW

Lightbulb Lock Cylinder

Scott,

Thank you so much for all the advice. I really like this car and even though I would like to think it is brand new, it is not. You narrowed down my problem so I am going to start there. I had been planning on ordering a new key, but now I realize that probably would have been a mistake.

I will report back once I get the lock cylinder replaced.

Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
DBMW

Lock cylinder

So I got lucky and found a used lock cylinder at a junk yard. It turns out one of the internal parts of the lock, "a ring" was broken in mine. I switched out the parts and put mine back together. Thankfully, I am now able to lock and unlock my driver side door

With the key I am able to open the driver side door and also unlock all the doors. The windows don't go down and I am not able to lock all the doors by only locking the main door. I tried reprograming the key once again and it still does not work.

Any ideas?
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
scottjoh

This probably isn't the problem, but, did you make sure the white piece on the lock actuator was set to the center detent before putting the lock cylinder back in. If that was done properly and you can't lock the other doors with the key then it might a bad lock actuator on the driver's door. Can you lock the other door with the fob?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
DBMW

Scott,

I am pretty sure it was in the middle. It's strange that it opens the other doors, but won't lock them. Except of course, the driver side door. The fob is not working any of the doors. It won't unlock the doors or open the trunk.

Just some additional info on the fob...
When I bought the car, the key was given to me wrapped in black electrical tape. When I removed the tape, the black part of the key split in half exposing the interior of the key. The original battery was still attached. I removed the battery using an instructional video online and replaced it with a 3 volt. My question is...is it possible that the previous owner damaged the RF function of the key when it was opened? Would my car still start if the RF had been damaged?

I checked all the fuses again and I found something strange. One of the onboard fuses had been removed. Fuse #10 which controls the instrument cluster. When I put it back in, the airbag light came on and would not turn off. I assume it was removed to cover the fact that the light was on. On the subject of the cluster, the stalk does not work to the OBC or the volume control on the steering. I mention these things because I worry that there might be an electrical problem with the car. Someone mentioned that the stalk needs to be reprogramed by the dealer so it can work with the OBC. Wondering if this is true?

Just concerned that electrical problems are hiding in the system.

Thanks again.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
scottjoh

It is possible that the key was damaged and the keyless entry was damaged and not the EWS for starting the car. I got a key the other day that was in really in bad shape. Two missing buttons, two missing capacitors and a missing resistor. Got it working on my car shipped it back and customer reported that it works like great.

Back to your car. It' strange that the key in the door does not lock the other doors. Check this. Turn the key slowly to lock and note if the drivers door locks electronically (motor assist) at 1/8th turn or if you need to turn a full 1/4 turn and lock it mechanically. If it locks electronically then the GM5 might be bad. If you need to lock it mechanically then it might be a bad installation of the lock cylinder or the lock actuator is bad and needs to be replaced.

Last edited by scottjoh; 06-08-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: correct typo

Tags
actuator, central locking, diamond key, e46