E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
swizzil21

My Ride: 2000 328ci
328ci engine fitment help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive been searching but i cant really find any good info. my motor is done on my 2000 328ci and im looking to buying a replacement motor. does anyone have any info on some of the engines that will directly fit? obviously i can get the same engine which is an option, but i was wondering if there were stronger engines that would fit with out much modification? any and all tips are appreciated.
swizzil21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
s54 swap
Steven747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
swizzil21

yea i heard about that one, but those engines are pretty pricey.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzil21 View Post
ive been searching but i cant really find any good info. my motor is done on my 2000 328ci and im looking to buying a replacement motor. does anyone have any info on some of the engines that will directly fit? obviously i can get the same engine which is an option, but i was wondering if there were stronger engines that would fit with out much modification? any and all tips are appreciated.
One tip is to get a second opinion, that is, unless you have a fist sized hole in the side of your block.

If it's only a cracked cylinder head, consider spending $1000 and fixing it, rather than $3-5 replacing entire engine.

I think a lot of shops go right to 'new motor' recommendation because they either are greedy, or don't have the time or know-how to fix the engine...just put a new one it.

So that's my tip! Also, I'm pretty sure you can put any size engine in, but with your TB, if it's cable driven, I think you have to do stuff with programming to get it to 'fit' electronically.

Why is it 'done'? Just curious how it got finished and how it was diagnosed as totaled?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
The most reasonable option if you are replacing the engine is M54B30. This will run with your exsiting ECU if you keep the M52TU intake. It has been done, but I don't know if this will result in some power gain. Most likely - there will be no noticeable gain without remapping the ECU. On the other hand, the M54 engines were in production until 2006, which means you can easily find one under 100K, perhaps even under 50K miles.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #6
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzil21 View Post

M52tub28 (328i/ci engine). Period.

M54 has a drive by wire throttle, you have a cable. I can already see that you're not prepared for that swap.

If you're 100% sure you need a new motor, find yourself same one, swap it in a few hours and back on the road.

Easy and fast.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
swizzil21

@dmax my coolant keeps leaking into my engine block causing overheating. my ****in girlfriend kept driving my car in the redzone when the expansion tank broke, thus causing the head gasket to blow smh, fml. i would love to just get it fixed instead of replacing. and to the guy who said im not prepared, actually i am prepared bro thats why i posted this thread. but your right direct replacemnt would be lovely.

@Megalocnus so thats a direct bolt on minus/ add a few parts i have to change? thanks bro ima do a little research on it.

ive noticed the 328ci engine is kinda hard to find. smh thanks for all the help guys.

oh yea, next question for you guys? is it true that using the ****in step tronic messes up your tranny in the long run? my friend told me this, i was trying to see the validity of it
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
swizzil21

also, would doing a face lift on my car, be doing to much? is that a costly mod?