E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
titleist320

My Ride: 99 323I
Installed NEW radiator and I need help !

I installed a new fan and radiator last night and I put everything back together just like it came apart. The problem I am having is that when I went to fill the radiator back up I have a leak (or at least I think it is a leak) that is coming out of the bottom of the radiator from a little hole right above the drain plug. The hole that the fluid is coming out of almost looks like a over flow hole maybe... the hole is about the size of a dime and is where the mounting plate nibble fits into the radiator. This nibble on the mounting plate is hollow and that is the reason I say it seems like and over flow but I really donít know. Maybe there is no fluid that is ever supposed to get into this area and thatís why it is hollow.. I am really not sure.

I had the cap off and the purge screw on the top hose and the overflow tank got full but as I continued to pure in the fluid the level keeps going down then I could hear it go into the radiator for a few seconds (and I was pouring slow) then all of a sudden I hear is leaking out of this area that I described. The fluid never did come out of the purge screw like I thought it would? Am I doing something wrong or does anyone know what I need to do to fix this issue ?

The arrows about are of the area of the leak on the radiator and the nibble I am talking about on the mounting plate that fits into that hole on the radiator.

Thanks for any help !!
titleist320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
titleist320

And I should add... I took the car for a quick drive to see if maybe I just filled the tank to full and it was ok while driving for those fews mins but when I got back home I left the car running for about 7 mins with the A/C on and the car started to over heat.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Are you talking about the plastic screw on the radiator hose that has an X on it? That's the bleed screw. First off make sure that everything is tight when you installed it. Then search the forum for "bleeding cooling system"
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
titleist320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Are you talking about the plastic screw on the radiator hose that has an X on it? That's the bleed screw. First off make sure that everything is tight when you installed it. Then search the forum for "bleeding cooling system"
No the bleed screw is not where the leak is. The leak is where I have circled on the picture and drawn the arrows.

But yes I did have the bleed screw out when I was adding the fluid but I never had any fluid come out of that opening when I was trying to bleed the system because of the leak I was getting from that place at the bottom of the radiator. So I need to find out why this leak is happening! Anyone ??
Old 06-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
NoVaDreier

My Ride: 2001 325i
You need to put a new o-ring (17 11 1 711 987) on the mounting plate fitting that goes into the radiator.
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
titleist320

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaDreier View Post
You need to put a new o-ring (17 11 1 711 987) on the mounting plate fitting that goes into the radiator.

how would putting an o-ring on this part fix the leak ? The fitting on the mounting plate has a hole in the center and it is not a hole that I made it is made that way. So if I added an O-ring would it not just leak out of the center of the fitting ? It is not the drain plug that I am talking about. I could see that if it was leaking at the drain plug.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
titleist320

I circled the opening in red to try to make it more clear. The radiator drain is below that on the bottom of the radiator.

Hope this helps
Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

I assume the blue plug? I think it's replaceable

Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
titleist320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I assume the blue plug? I think it's replaceable

No its not the blue plug... That is the drain plug for the radiator and that is working just fine. The hole that I am speaking about is right above the blue plug pictured and on the back side of the radiator. And the mounting bracket that the overflow tank is mounted on actualy fits into this hole. as the picture shows above that I posted.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
I know what your talking about, im sure that little piece is meant for the auto transmission cooler. But it seems from the pic that you have a manual? If it is leaking the only things you should check are. Have you installed the screw that goes on that part? And second, what is the condition of the o ring stated above.

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i, 00 528i
Are the radiators for manuals and autos the same? If not maybe you have the wrong one?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
darksideracer69

Check realoem, I think they are the same tho, my friend has a manual, it looks exactly like mine.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

IMAG02051
Old 06-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
titleist320

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
I know what your talking about, im sure that little piece is meant for the auto transmission cooler. But it seems from the pic that you have a manual? If it is leaking the only things you should check are. Have you installed the screw that goes on that part? And second, what is the condition of the o ring stated above.
No I did not see a screw that went into that part... ?? So I will take a look at it when I get home and make sure I did not miss something there. As far as the O-ring I did not see an o-rign for that part either when I took it apart so I will also double check that as well when I get home and post an update then.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
darksideracer69

That's probably the problem lol, check it out man. There wasn't a screw when you took it out? I know there was one on my auto and my friends manual car.

IMAG02051
Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
No the radiators for manual and auto are different, I'm pretty sure.

On the manual, for the life of me, I'm think that that little fitting is just where the ET bracket screws into the radiator...I'm 90% or so on this.

If it's leaking from there, I wonder if maybe it's really dripping down from a leak in the radiator where plastic meets aluminum? If that was the case, you might see minor dripping evidence above that 'hole.'

Also, another culprit is the large fitting on bracket to ET, and depending on the angle, I wonder if it might be seeping over from there? Better than a leaky new radiator, right?

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
titleist320

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
No the radiators for manual and auto are different, I'm pretty sure.

On the manual, for the life of me, I'm think that that little fitting is just where the ET bracket screws into the radiator...I'm 90% or so on this.

If it's leaking from there, I wonder if maybe it's really dripping down from a leak in the radiator where plastic meets aluminum? If that was the case, you might see minor dripping evidence above that 'hole.'

Also, another culprit is the large fitting on bracket to ET, and depending on the angle, I wonder if it might be seeping over from there? Better than a leaky new radiator, right?
No the leak is coming right out of that hole. And it is not a little leak it is a steady stream !!! And Like I said I do not remember taking a screw or plug out of that part when I took it off and yes it is the correct radiator because it is the exact same as the one that came off the car. I will also take a pic of the leak when I get home and post that as well. Maybe that will help ?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

They're different. For my car it's

Auto:

Manual:
Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist320 View Post
No the leak is coming right out of that hole. And it is not a little leak it is a steady stream !!! And Like I said I do not remember taking a screw or plug out of that part when I took it off and yes it is the correct radiator because it is the exact same as the one that came off the car. I will also take a pic of the leak when I get home and post that as well. Maybe that will help ?
A photo might help jog my memory. I remember worrying about that hole because I didn't have anything to plug into it, until I noticed it was where the bracket screwed into...if we're talking about the same thing. If we are, then maybe the automatic version has that same plug, but has it open...that, or maybe it's a return and someone put a too long screw in? I thought the ET bracket for an auto might actually use that same location, but for a hose for trans. cooler...or something...maybe not.

Sorry, dude, you know I'm guessing not having either photo or photographic memory! Hope it's not the radiator, but sounds like that right now.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
darksideracer69

Idk I think it's the application, I have used a radiator from my friends car on mine and everything worked great. His is a 00 and mine is a 01. The difference between. 2 was the bracket that the expansion tank goes on.

IMAG02051
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #20
titleist320

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
Idk I think it's the application, I have used a radiator from my friends car on mine and everything worked great. His is a 00 and mine is a 01. The difference between. 2 was the bracket that the expansion tank goes on.

I just checked the old radiator and if I fill it full of water and leave that opening unplugged it does not leak any water out of that opening at all. Now when I add water to the radiator that I just bought that was suppose to be for a manual car it leaks water out of that opening like a river so I called the company and they told me that they think they sent me the wrong radiator and are shipping a new one out today. So I hope that is the case and I will post and update once I get the new radiator that they send.