E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
mastamind518

My Ride: 2000 323i
car won't unlock

My car will not unlock with either the remote or actually putting the key into the door and turning. When I press the buttons on the key, I hear no mechanical sounds at all. Trunk will not open either. I suspect a dead battery but seems kind of weird that the battery would just die randomly. I was driving around yesterday and the car showed no symptoms of a weak battery.

How would I get access to the battery if I can not get into the car to open the hood or open the trunk to get direct access to the battery?

Any other possible problems it might be? I really have no idea... it was working just fine yesterday.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Even if the battery is dead using your key you should be able to manually open your trunk or driver's side door..

I go through this whenever I disconnect my battery and work on my car, my trunk shuts and I have to open it with the key.. There could be a problem with your key, in which case I have no experience with. But since we have same year and model car, I can tell you 100% that you should be able to open your doors with battery disconnected or dead..

Last edited by doshu; 06-07-2011 at 04:12 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
mastamind518

Quote:
Originally Posted by doshu View Post
Even if the battery is dead using your key you should be able to manually open your trunk or driver's side door..

I go through this whenever I disconnect my battery and work on my car, my trunk shuts and I have to open it with the key.. There could be a problem with your key, in which case I have no experience with. But since we have same year and model car, I can tell you 100% that you should be able to open your doors with battery disconnected or dead..
Yea that's what's weird about this situation. The car will not unlock manually with the key. I should add that it was a little difficult turning the key to the right. Almost as if it was stuck. Not sure if thats because I never use the mechanical method and its just jammed or if something was stuck inside. But it turned eventually with a little force. So im not sure if something broke. Didn't hear a snap or anything. But the remote button was not working to begin with.

Now the key turns both ways, but the locks will not open. The key will not turn in the trunk at all however.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
It might be a faulty key, my old key would not open the doors or trunk by pressing the buttons. It would unlock manually, but sometimes the driver lock would get stuck. OP I suggest u get a new key, or have the solenoids replaced if these problems continue. Good luck
Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
mastamind518

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
It might be a faulty key, my old key would not open the doors or trunk by pressing the buttons. It would unlock manually, but sometimes the driver lock would get stuck. OP I suggest u get a new key, or have the solenoids replaced if these problems continue. Good luck
Any tips for getting into the car? I don't have AAA so will I have to call a car lockout service?

Or is there any way to open the hood so i can get access to the jumper point? Maybe my battery did die and giving it some juice will allow the remote to work.

Last edited by mastamind518; 06-07-2011 at 04:32 PM.
mastamind518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
You should call a car lockout service, because there will be no way to get inside of your car without breaking a window or your trunk. Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
mastamind518

called the car lockout service, the guy was able to unlock it by placing a air bag between the B pillar and inflating it. And then using a rod to pull on the door handle from the inside.

Unfortunately this only worked on the passenger door. And my battery is in fact dead. But now I also am unable to open my driver door. Is there a way to remove the door panel(or access and manually unlock the door) while the door is still closed? I think w/e is connected to the lock broke and now the door will not unlock with key, remote, or by pulling on the inside handle. The last time I removed the door panel to change my window motor, it required to be unlatched from the bottom completely and then pulled upwards. But I cant do this with door closed.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
mastamind518

Or does anyone know how the lock mechanism works behind the door panel? What/where I would have to pull/push to get the door to unlock behind the door panel? if i can get a pair of nose pliers back there from pulling it off the door as much as possible with the door closed.
If not, i can disassemble the passenger side and try to learn. But if someone has experience it would help.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
doshu

My Ride: E46 CI
Send a message via AIM to doshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamind518 View Post
Or does anyone know how the lock mechanism works behind the door panel? What/where I would have to pull/push to get the door to unlock behind the door panel? if i can get a pair of nose pliers back there from pulling it off the door as much as possible with the door closed.
If not, i can disassemble the passenger side and try to learn. But if someone has experience it would help.

Even though your battery is in the trunk, BMWs are made so that you can jump from the front. I also know from experience that hood should pop open with no problem.. So try to open up the hood, get some jumper cables. On the passenger side rear of the engine bay, right next to the strut you will see the positive hook of the battery cable, its a black box, when you open the box you will see the cable bolt..

The ground is very near to the positive inside the insulated area, next to DSC, similar looking bolt, it is next to the Reset box that only 99-00 series BMWs have.

Connect the positive of the cars first, then negative of good battery car and then yours. Then start the car with good battery and run it at 2000rpm, then try to start your car. Make sure you turn on the heater a little and something like rear defroster, so your alternator doesnt get fried until you remove the cables. Remove the negatives first make sure they dont touch each other or the ground (earth, floor, metal, cars, whatever) then the positives. Run the car for at least an hour.

Per bentley.. Hope it works..

Last edited by doshu; 06-07-2011 at 09:51 PM.
doshu is offline   Reply With Quote