E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #61
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatechop5000 View Post
If I jack up my front end, put on the ebrake, and put the car in drive; will that be a definative test? If the fronts spin, we have an open transfer case. Does anybody see a problem with that test?

Edit. DSC off.
Well I think you just proved it. Case closed then!
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #62
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Does anybody see a problem with that test?
1) Did you give it some gas?
2) What happens when you floor it without the e-brake on?
3) With 4 wheels on the ground, can you put it in D, set the handbrake, and not move anywhere?
4) What happens when you do the same thing with the rear off the ground?

In a simple planetary gear set, there is one input, one output, and one fixed component. On our TC, there's one input (planetary carrier) and two outputs (sun to the front; ring to the rear). By lifting the front, you are in effect making the ring gear fixed, and turning it into a simple torque reducing planetary gear set. This move toward a simple planetary gear set is the 'slip' and is the reason the drivetrain doesn't bind up around corners. Even in a simple planetary gear set, a fixed ring gear is under load.

That video proves the TC isn't a 4x4 locker, and that your car won't drive itself up a hill at idle with the e-brake on.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #63
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Well I think you just proved it. Case closed then!
+1
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #64
karatechop5000

My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
1) Did you give it some gas?
A little bit. Before I got out of the car to shoot the video.

Quote:
2) What happens when you floor it without the e-brake on?
Did not do that.

Quote:
3) With 4 wheels on the ground, can you put it in D, set the handbrake, and not move anywhere?
Yes. As with all automatics. Engine revs to stall limit.

Quote:
4) What happens when you do the same thing with the rear off the ground?
Same thing? I don't have a front ebrake; so I couldn't easily test.

Quote:
In a simple planetary gear set, there is one input, one output, and one fixed component. On our TC, there's one input (planetary carrier) and two outputs (sun to the front; ring to the rear). By lifting the front, you are in effect making the ring gear fixed, and turning it into a simple torque reducing planetary gear set. This move toward a simple planetary gear set is the 'slip' and is the reason the drivetrain doesn't bind up around corners. Even in a simple planetary gear set, a fixed ring gear is under load.
Agreed (except for the last sentence). 'Hold' is not either off or on. It's on with traction; and its variable during slip. I view it as 'feedback torque'. The ring is easily held until the fronts grab ahold of something.

Quote:
That video proves the TC isn't a 4x4 locker, and that your car won't drive itself up a hill at idle with the e-brake on.
Could you agree "Its open; but specific torque ratio is enforced by wheel traction, 1/1 speed ratio is dependent on planetary gearset's 'mode', and it is permanantly engaged." ?

Last edited by karatechop5000; 06-12-2011 at 07:53 PM.
karatechop5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #65
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Could you agree "Its open; but specific torque ratio is enforced by wheel traction, 1/1 speed ratio is dependent on planetary gearset's 'mode', and it is permanantly engaged." ?
I would agree with this sentence except for adding in the statement of up to a maximum of the ideal torque split. Even with the ring gear held fixed with traction, you are still gearing the front wheels down through the planetary gears and therefore reducing the percentage of engine torque heading to the front.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #66
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
I can answer all of this bullshit if you want I've had an xi in my garage with the front half shaft off. Only reverse works, The car won't move, vise versus. If you disconnect the rear half shaft it won't move unless in reverse. Nothing needs to be reflashed for the car to work, etc. No check engine lights provided you rewired your wheel speed sensors for your dsc/abs system. Bottom line is this has already been covered. forget about your tq split you guys are missing how this system works. wtf EDIT: you don't have a limited slip or an open TC Another EDIT: if you don;t have your abs unplugged, your DSC is still on so this thread has been a fail the whole time.

Last edited by xixixi; 06-13-2011 at 05:07 PM.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #67
karatechop5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
I can answer all of this bullshit if you want I've had an xi in my garage with the front half shaft off. Only reverse works, The car won't move, vise versus. If you disconnect the rear half shaft it won't move unless in reverse. Nothing needs to be reflashed for the car to work, etc. No check engine lights provided you rewired your wheel speed sensors for your dsc/abs system. Bottom line is this has already been covered. forget about your tq split you guys are missing how this system works. wtf EDIT: you don't have a limited slip or an open TC Another EDIT: if you don;t have your abs unplugged, your DSC is still on so this thread has been a fail the whole time.
I'd ask a few questons; but you seem kinda edgy.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #68
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
I'd ask a few questons; but you seem kinda edgy.
Shitty day my friend, ask away! I'm sure I could help ya out I refuse to read this entire thread!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #69
karatechop5000

Some of the threads I read seemed to give conflicting information. I'd like to see a link to the one you are referring to. I think I read it and came away confused. Also the issue came up in another good thread about putting in a rear wavetrak LSD. I have seen the issue indirectly come up in staggared tire size threads.

I was trying to 'keep the ball on the court' by staying focused on the transfer case. (I fear a lot of smart people here have a misunderstanding). I know it's a boring read, but my nerd antenna is fully extended.

First question: What's the thread title you are referring to?
Second question: What does the DSC do when 'off' different than when 'on'?
Third question: If the transfer case is not 'fixed', 'open', or 'limited slip'; what is the other choice?

Last edited by karatechop5000; 06-14-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #70
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Some of the threads I read seemed to give conflicting information. I'd like to see a link to the one you are referring to. I think I read it and came away confused. Also the issue came up in another good thread about putting in a rear wavetrak LSD. I have seen the issue indirectly come up in staggared tire size threads.

I was trying to 'keep the ball on the court' by staying focused on the transfer case. (I fear a lot of smart people here have a misunderstanding). I know it's a boring read, but my nerd antenna is fully extended.

First question: What's the tread title you are referring to?
Second question: What does the DSC do when 'off' different than when 'on'?
Third question: If the transfer case is not 'fixed', 'open', or 'limited slip'; what is the other choice?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=xi+rwd

I gave up on the thread, but I got it done.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #71
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=xi+rwd

I gave up on the thread, but I got it done.
Did you ever finish the conversion?
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #72
karatechop5000

OK yes. Your thread was right about the TC. Other threads... not so much. It's 'open'. That's why you were spinning the fronts after removing the front axle. The reverse is a puzzle to me. I think either something in the front was jammed up, or it was rolling backwards down your driveway.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #73
xixixi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgXi View Post
Did you ever finish the conversion?
yes.

Just the front output on the T case was spinning yes. Idk about the reverse. However a few people drove it before i swapped the diff and they said in reverse it "felt" like an lsd? IDK

Last edited by xixixi; 06-14-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #74
Kubica

Old 06-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #75
karatechop5000

Quote:
Damn. Good point. But we don't have a torsen. Got me thinking though.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #76
Kubica

I saw Steve Dinan last night and asked him if he knew how the E46 transfer case worked. He smiled and said his "head was filled with pistons and boost right now" and that he didn't know.

Also asked him if he planned on making any more xi springs, since they've been out of stock for a couple years. He had no idea and punted on that question too.