E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
jetblackmaverick

My Ride: parting out...=(
Why does my car sound like its rolling on offroad tires?

Loudest road noise sound ever in my car. On a phone call had a girl say that it sounds like Im in a Nascar event. I just put my stock 17" wheels on and they are inflated to 36 psi. Im thinking wheel bearings...grr, opinions???
jetblackmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Probably feathered tires, or the tires aren't balanced. My parents' Impreza has some seriously feathered tires and the car is loud as all get-out, all because it wasn't balanced/aligned properly to begin with.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
elanlyfestyle

My Ride: 03 325ci
yea its prob the bearing, both of mine were bad and the car was very loud inside
elanlyfestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Bearing probably, can also be guibo, worn tires, alignment or the tires are just noisy to begin with.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
g6

My Ride: BMW
i personally like that? my first bmw had yokohama race tires and it was so loud. loved it.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6 View Post
i personally like that? my first bmw had yokohama race tires and it was so loud. loved it.
Maybe you just like it rough?

Old 06-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
g6

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Maybe you just like it rough?

lol

hopefully not sounding too ghey but it def makes you just feel so much more connected to the road. i basically want the least amount of comfort possible when it comes to suspension/tires. that is why the e9xs feel so censored and soulless.. now that my brother has the e36, i have the e46 and my roommate has the e90, i see the trend they have followed after driving in all three often. and honestly it is a downward trend, at least in driving experience.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
jetblackmaverick

car was just aligned two days ago. Is there any way to visually inspect the guibo or is it just a type of part that you dont know until replacing? My stock wheels were never this loud before I swapped them out out for my iForged wheels.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #9
Jaundiced Outlook

My Ride: has a tailgate
You can see the guibo underneath the car pretty easily; it's this rubber hockey puck thing between the transmission and the driveshaft. Do a search in the DIY forum - there's a guibo DIY as I looked it up before. If the part starts cracking/shearing it should be obvious visually.

YMMV, but I lucked out and a similar road noise issue with my car turned out to be bad tires.

I had had a roaring road noise for a little while, and it got even worse when my wife and I were out of town visiting my folks. Had a helpful BMW dealer tech check it out (for free, surprisingly), because my wife was concerned we'd get stranded on our return home. I wasn't too keen on a wheel bearing possibly letting go on I-95, either.

The tech said it was feathered tires - not surprising since they were pretty worn (I had bought a used wheel/tire set). Had new tires installed last month - noise gone. Also did an alignment and replaced a bunch of worn suspension items, so hopefully feathering won't develop again.
Jaundiced Outlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
JerzyBoy973

My Ride: 01 330ci
How would one confirm that a wheel bearing is bad? Am I looking for some sort of shimmy in the hub once I have the wheel off?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Jack up the car and with the wheel still bolted on grab the wheel at the top and bottom and see if there is play.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Hmmm? If you rub your hands along your tread and it feels like fish scales, it could be shocks too.

Also 36 psi is probably fine for the rear, but sounds high in the front, unless you have real low profile tires. Start with using door jamb pressure and dial in slightly from there. If you have a normal sized tire, I think that front pressure is way too much, would induce not only more oversteer than you want, but wear the tires much quicker than normal.

Check the door jamb.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
JerzyBoy973

Quote:
Jack up the car and with the wheel still bolted on grab the wheel at the top and bottom and see if there is play.
Thank you sir!

Should I consider bearings like tires and replace left and right together?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Just the one bad one.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
JerzyBoy973

Quote:
Just the one bad one.
awsome thx
Old 06-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #16
jetblackmaverick

Solidjake, that test sounds like how I checked and found that my LcaB was going to hell, didnt know it was good at identifying bad bearings.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #17
Bluebarry

My Ride: E46 M3
Probably a dumb question. What is the LcaB?
Bluebarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
JDez

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebarry View Post
Probably a dumb question. What is the LcaB?
Lower Control Arm Bushing

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
JDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
mbnz230

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
36 is definitely high for the front, my stock psi for front on the 17's is 30 and i do 32 for the 18's. it rides nice and quiet. i tried to put like 35 for the front cause i did search on here and everyone recommends high psi. it just make the car ride stiff.

are those new tires you just put on? what condition are your tires?
mbnz230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #20
Toadman

My Ride: 325ci and X3
Wheel noise

I just fixed a rear right wheel bearing on my 2002 E46 vert. I swore it was road noise from my tires but I was wrong. The car only has 66,000 miles on it. I bought a second car with the same noise and it ended up being cupped tires. The tires needed to be replaced. The tires were easy to troubleshoot by running your hand over the outside tread and verifying they are smooth, not chopped. My point is they sound very much alike. Also just because your car has low miles doesn't mean your bearings aren't the problem. Thanks Ohio for all the pot holed streets.
Toadman is offline   Reply With Quote