E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
BrianSpilner

My Ride: Max PSI Stage 2
Entire Custom Audio Build! Speakers, Subs, Carbon Fiber, Fiber Glass!

Last year I decided to change my door speakers and my rear deck speakers to something WAY better than the stock HK garbage. I also totally took out the 6x9's and just threw subs in the back. I didn't want anything LOUD (Bassy), I strictly wanted sound quality WITHOUT having a HEAVY box in my trunk; I wanted to be as light as possible. My shop, Car Teks Inc., out of Schererville & Valparaiso, IN did all the wiring and custom work.

SETUP:
Sound Processor: MTX Audio Re-Q5
Door Speakers: 2 Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" Components
Rear Deck Speakers: 2 Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" Coaxials
Subwoofers: 2 JL Audio W3 6.5" Subwoofers
Amplifiers: Kicker 10ZX300.1 300W RMS Amplifier (CEA Birth Sheet of 420W RMS)
Kicker 10ZX850.4 850W RMS Amplifier (CEA Birth Sheet of 910W RMS)

The subwoofers were built into a custom fabricated fiberglass box wrapped in Carbon Fiber; along with the rest of the trunk. The amplifiers were placed into a false floorboard with an "///M" cutout that illuminated with yellow LED's (to match the car) at night. There are also 4 fans that flow air in and out of the enclosure to ensure the amps stay cool since the trunk tends to get HOT!

Why did I use Kicker amps with this setup? Very simple, they are CEA compliant and put out MORE power than they are rated at; AND they last for a long time without breaking the bank!

WHy did I choose JL Audio 6.5" Subwoofers over an 8", 10", or 12"? Simple, because just like I stated above; I wanted something that didn't weigh anything and didn't take up any space, AND something STRICTLY for sound quality.

I also had the ENTIRE trunk insulated with sound deadening materials.

Here is a short video of the JL subs in action (NOTE: Rattle sound is from the box not fully being screw down during installation):

Pictures of the build are as follows (Don't really have pictures of the speakers since those aren't really "custom"):

I'll post pictures of the illumination at night next week after I get her back from the shop (doing some other things).

I am VERY happy with this setup! Exactly what I wanted!

Last edited by BrianSpilner; 06-09-2011 at 02:59 AM.
BrianSpilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
Good job..
Old 06-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
BigT330Ci

My Ride: 2012 Toyota Prius
Send a message via AIM to BigT330Ci Send a message via Yahoo to BigT330Ci
What's the interior volume in that box? I got a feeling that polyfill is making the enclosure too large - those woofers require very little airspace. Try taking out the polyfill and hitting the inside of the enclosure with some Blackhole or similar.

Looks good my only problem with using small woofers like that is you loose out significatly on the lower frequencies. I'm assuming you are using a subsonic filter? If not, make sure you do and set it around 35hz.
BigT330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
BrianSpilner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT330Ci View Post
What's the interior volume in that box? I got a feeling that polyfill is making the enclosure too large - those woofers require very little airspace. Try taking out the polyfill and hitting the inside of the enclosure with some Blackhole or similar.

Looks good my only problem with using small woofers like that is you loose out significatly on the lower frequencies. I'm assuming you are using a subsonic filter? If not, make sure you do and set it around 35hz.
We did a lot of trial and error with the polyfill and we decided to keep just a LITTLE inside. I do have the subsonic filter set to 32-35Hz. The low end is surprisingly crisp and clean. I love the sound of my setup, it isn't overwhelming with bass like my setup in my daily driver; which is absolutely ridiculous btw.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
aar0n_91

My Ride: 05 BMW325CI///MSport
looks really good mate.

are your components the HSK165's??

BMW 325 CI ///M-SPORT INDIVIDUAL
aar0n_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #6
BrianSpilner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aar0n_91 View Post
looks really good mate.

are your components the HSK165's??
My components are the ESK165's.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
what's up with the battery there?

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
BrianSpilner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDRick323 View Post
what's up with the battery there?
That's not a battery. That's my Methanol/Alcohol injection for my Supercharger.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #9
Young Gun

My Ride: 05 330ci
^ Great job, very inspiring for my winter build.

I am assuming the front woofers are mounted in the doors?

Can you please specify if you had the rear deck sound deadened?
Any pics of that?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
That's crazy, hahaha, sick system though!

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
BrianSpilner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
^ Great job, very inspiring for my winter build.

I am assuming the front woofers are mounted in the doors?

Can you please specify if you had the rear deck sound deadened?
Any pics of that?
Yes, the front woofers are installed onto the door frame, NOT the door panel.

I had the rear deck dynamatted, as well as the trunk hatch, the entire flooring and sides of the trunk, and under the rear passenger seats. I, unfortunately, do not have pictures of this

Also, I changed my speakers to 6.5" Hertz High Energy Components in the front, 6.5" High Energy Coaxials in the rear, Digital Designs 6.5" Subwoofers, Alpine PDX-M6 (for subwoofers), Alpine PDX-F6 (for speakers), and the newly released Audison Bit Ten Sound Processor. My new setup made a world of a difference, or should I say the Bit Ten!