E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
cory58

My Ride: e46 / e30 / F30
Replacing Power Steering Reservoir / Hoses

I'm replacing the power steering reservoir and 2 hoses that connect to it on my wife's 2001 325i. Part #11 on the parts diagram below attaches to the cooler. Will I need any special tools to replace this hose? The reservoir end just slides over a nipple, but I've never dealt with a pressure type fitting, like on the other end.

Thanks, Cory
cory58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
They don't have any wrenching flats? If not, they are most likely quick release type fittings. The outer sleeve should slide and release the fitting. These are not high pressure connections. High pressure is hose 3 from the pump to the rack. Low pressure flow from the rack to the reservoir.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
cory58

My Ride: e46 / e30 / F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
They don't have any wrenching flats? If not, they are most likely quick release type fittings. The outer sleeve should slide and release the fitting. These are not high pressure connections. High pressure is hose 3 from the pump to the rack. Low pressure flow from the rack to the reservoir.
Thanks for the response. I looked at the picture of the hose on RealOEM beofer posting, and couldn't tell if the cooler end had any flats for wrenching. Thought I'd ask the forum before buying the hose and then possibly realizing I need a special tool that makes the DIY not cost effective.

Cory
cory58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
This thread may help: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=788513
Old 12-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
JB_ZHP

My Ride: 05' ZHP Dinan 3
That fitting at the end of hose #11 can be a B*&%# to get off! I slid the drivers headlight out a bit to give myself more room and was able to get it then...Good Luck! No special tool necessary.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.2222 mu
Didn't see the thread referenced...there is a special tool you can get, but the 'hack' is evidently two wrenches the right sizes pushing in while pushing...sort of thing. Haven't done it, but if it's difficult, you're doing it the wrong way! HTH

Next performing:
Thursday, August 6, 8 p.m. The Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ Reservations: 973 376-3840
Facebook.com/DMAXstandup[/url]
A recent set.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
sdpaguy

My Ride: 2002 330cic
I just replaced my power steering reservoir, and the easier hose to remove (#1 on the diagram above).
Unfortunately the hose (#11) with the quick-release attachment is staying on. I was unable to fully pull back the plastic sleeve with my fingers, so tried using channel locks to gently pull back the plastic sleeve on opposing sides, but this resulted in the plastic breaking apart into many pieces. Afterwards the plastic easily crumbled apart in my hands, just too many heat cycles I guess. The car is a 2002 330cci with 150k. It's been a few days with no leaking from the area, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. If I ever do have to replace this hose in the future, I'll have to take out the rigid tubing it attaches to (#10). Bummer.
So let this be a warning to be careful pulling back the plastic sleeve!
sdpaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Brobby87

My Ride: 2003 325i, 1986 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpaguy View Post
I just replaced my power steering reservoir, and the easier hose to remove (#1 on the diagram above).
Unfortunately the hose (#11) with the quick-release attachment is staying on. I was unable to fully pull back the plastic sleeve with my fingers, so tried using channel locks to gently pull back the plastic sleeve on opposing sides, but this resulted in the plastic breaking apart into many pieces. Afterwards the plastic easily crumbled apart in my hands, just too many heat cycles I guess. The car is a 2002 330cci with 150k. It's been a few days with no leaking from the area, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. If I ever do have to replace this hose in the future, I'll have to take out the rigid tubing it attaches to (#10). Bummer.
So let this be a warning to be careful pulling back the plastic sleeve!
Had this exact thing happen to me. Here's a post I made over at bimmerfest.com.

Hope this helps!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...505&highlight=
Old 08-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
sdpaguy

My Ride: 2002 330cic
Thank you! I'll keep an eye on that hose for leaking. If there is, now I'll have a plan of attack to get it off!
-Rob
sdpaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
My next job will be the PS hoses. I have a band-aid on one of the low pressure return hoses.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Brobby87

My Ride: 2003 325i, 1986 535i
I had electrical tape bandaging mine for a week. The parking lot of the company I work for is evidence as to how well it worked.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
jsaklas

My Ride: Chrysler PT Cruiser
Similar problems - need help

I need some advice, and help. I have a 2000 323i. I took it to a reputable mechanic who identified several problems, one of which was that my "power steering suction and return hoses" are leaking. I have several questions:
1. Which hoses in Cory58's diagram are the "power steering suction and return hoses?"
2. I am a novice (just replaced rotors, calipers, pads and Lower Control Arms - first car work I've done in 40 yrs - it was a struggle, but since I'm retired I got time). Is this ps hose job doable by a novice?
3. Is there a good video to help?
4. I can barely see the hoses from above - what do I have to remove to get to them?

Lastly, I don't mean to steal the thread, should I start a new topic?
jsaklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
Kobe

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325 Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Kobe
Power steering

I know its been 2 years, I'm also tackling the job this summer. Thanks for all the pointers and links to other resources - this forum truly rocks!
Kobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #14
wnarcisse

My Ride: 2002 325i
Added help

All I just wanted to add that if the grey pieces break you can make a tool to compress the coupling springs to get the hose off of the radiator Buy a Berol highlighter. It has to be that brand because the cap it the perfect diameter to fit inside the hose coupler. Take a berol highlighter top and cut the end off. Then slit it down the middle. Fit it around and slide it in the coupler hose fitting taker something like a needle nose plier and push it in the pull the hose off. It workes great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berol.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	605185  
wnarcisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
^ Thanks for the tip! Here's another creative solution worth consideration if that grey quick disconnect clip is broken/missing (involves bending the internal tabs outward): http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16527811.

Click to visit post.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.

Last edited by SilberVogel; 07-01-2015 at 11:21 PM.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #16
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Meh, I just bought the special disconnect tool, it's like $15 from FCP euro. I also bought the PS reservoir and hoses from them too. Make it easy on yourself

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-tool-cta-3466

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS F&R Sway bars, M3 RTABs w/ Vorshlag Limiters, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TFX Projector retrofit by lightwerkz, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills, mobius dash cam

Last edited by bimmernate; 07-01-2015 at 11:02 PM.
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote