E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #41
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
The 323 touring is the car being tested below.

I will note that I've had the whole cooling system overhauled in the past year finishing with the radiator (had a leak near the expansion tank) & thermostat (working fine; but last piece to change and since the radiator was coming out...) replaced this past June; but noting that all these parts were replaced betwen 104000 & 112000 miles on the car which seems to be normal as a replacement timeframe. (The wagon was surely not in the best shape when I got it at 92000 miles and I've put in a good amount of effort to get it back into shape.)

Using the OBC function 7.0 (coolant temp), on the way home today in some stop and go traffic the external temp guage was reading about 109F.

Once the car warmed up (didn't take long) I was showing anywhere between 93-98 on the cluster readout. All told the trip was somewhere around 35 miles and about 45 minutes; though I did have to make a stop for about 20 minutes about halfway in.

I'll be trying this test again this week while on the highway on the way home (full 30 miles, no stops), again expect the outside temp to be reported 110F. I did take it on the highway today and it was reading around 91; but by the the external temp read 104F.

Now... I didn't see one; but is there any OBC or other test I can use to check the temp of the tranny?
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #42
RockerGuy

My Ride: Not a BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansho View Post
They don't understand that this 'mod' only applies, generally, to those with automatic transmissions.
Hahaha, I was beginning to wonder since I have a Manual tranny and starting to wonder what they are talking about
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 PM   #43
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Anyone do this on an E46 M3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Ah... 4L30E, 4 speed GM.... Right. Didn't know that actually.
They had 5-speed non-steptronic transmissions in early E46s too.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #44
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
OK, managed to run this test again, this time around 30 miles all highway, average speed 70+. External temp gauge was showing 110F at the start and when I got to my destination had "cooled" down to only 106F.

The temp stayed between 91 and 93 on the cluster readout.

So, while this isn't the worst days with regards to temp out here, it's still plenty hot. Given that, I'm not seeing anything to be concerned with at least as far as coolant temp goes.

If there was a test for the tranny temp, I'd happily run that.

OH... and of course for both days, I had the AC running, set to 70F for the full duration of both trips.

Hope this helps anyone considering this swap.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #45
volida
EUROFEST

My Ride: 98 Twinscrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Anyone do this on an E46 M3?

They had 5-speed non-steptronic transmissions in early E46s too.
I'm think of trying it on my M. Does anyone know if the connector is the same.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #46
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalazsi View Post
OK, managed to run this test again, this time around 30 miles all highway, average speed 70+. External temp gauge was showing 110F at the start and when I got to my destination had "cooled" down to only 106F.

The temp stayed between 91 and 93 on the cluster readout.

So, while this isn't the worst days with regards to temp out here, it's still plenty hot. Given that, I'm not seeing anything to be concerned with at least as far as coolant temp goes.

If there was a test for the tranny temp, I'd happily run that.

OH... and of course for both days, I had the AC running, set to 70F for the full duration of both trips.

Hope this helps anyone considering this swap.
I'm not sure about the tranny temp but there is a test for the oil temp.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #47
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsellsell2000 View Post
VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO
If I do this DIY I will make a video.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #48
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
^ I was supposed to make the video.....
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:46 AM   #49
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by volida View Post
I'm think of trying it on my M. Does anyone know if the connector is the same.
The aux fan connector appeared to be the same as the connector that my old 330's electric fan had
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #50
avglushk

My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
^ I was supposed to make the video.....
Nice thread. I'm thinking now may be i need to do that too. That truck/airplane sound is so loud.

I can drive to NYC, Jake u do the job and i'll be recording

How much would u charge me to do that job, Jake ?
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #51
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avglushk View Post
Nice thread. I'm thinking now may be i need to do that too. That truck/airplane sound is so loud.

I can drive to NYC, Jake u do the job and i'll be recording

How much would u charge me to do that job, Jake ?
If you want sure, I will have to let you know because I might have a new job next week and I'll be busy. I'll send you a PM in a bit with a quote.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #52
avglushk

My Ride: e92
Send a message via Skype™ to avglushk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
If you want sure, I will have to let you know because I might have a new job next week and I'll be busy. I'll send you a PM in a bit with a quote.
Ok cool. No rush, Jake. I have to buy it first Then i have to do some things first on my car. They are more important than fan But yeah.. send me a quote and I'll keep in touch. Also can u do vanos seals? I have 151K on my car. I dont have any problems with vanos yet.. but just for the future. Thanks man. Oh yeah.. and dont go to the shore this weekend. i think Irene is gonna hit NYC on sunday.
For Sale: 1. OEM used headlights and corners, see link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=884565
2. 2 brand new Bosch post cat oxygen sensors

Last edited by avglushk; 08-25-2011 at 04:24 PM.
avglushk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #53
warrior2005

My Ride: 05 325Ci
Jake, how long did this take you?

edit: Or anyone else that has done it
warrior2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #54
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior2005 View Post
Jake, how long did this take you?

edit: Or anyone else that has done it
I really wasn't paying attention to the time, I was more worried about mosquitoes eating me alive. I'd say like an hour to an hour and a half.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #55
jhyan

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i Sedan
Thanks for the DIY write up... very glad to not have the car sound like a city bus!!

It ended up being so much easier than I thought. Budgeted Friday evening and Saturday for this, now I have my whole Saturday free.

As a side bonus, it turns out the huge gap between my front fender and my bumper was due to the bumper not being slid onto the side brackets, which I noticed when I was taking the bumper off. A little adjustment to the brackets and a proper install and I've got a nice bumper fitment now!
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #56
ribri02

My Ride: 01 325ci
Just did the swap today. A piece of advice from my experience: be careful when trying to pop the fan clutch nut loose, I split my thermostat housing whacking away at my 32mm wrench. Added bonus: my a/c works like a champ now. Before, I would have to be driving at least 30 mph for my a/c to blow cold air, now even sitting in a parking lot it gets cold. And no more ac/clutch fan lag off the line!
ribri02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #57
Hageee

My Ride: E46 330xiA
Send a message via ICQ to Hageee
Can i do the swap without removing the bumper? I've placed my new mII-bumper very carefully and i don't want to do this job again ... all the plastic-nibbles are stressed
Hageee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #58
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhyan View Post
Thanks for the DIY write up... very glad to not have the car sound like a city bus!!

It ended up being so much easier than I thought. Budgeted Friday evening and Saturday for this, now I have my whole Saturday free.

As a side bonus, it turns out the huge gap between my front fender and my bumper was due to the bumper not being slid onto the side brackets, which I noticed when I was taking the bumper off. A little adjustment to the brackets and a proper install and I've got a nice bumper fitment now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribri02 View Post
Just did the swap today. A piece of advice from my experience: be careful when trying to pop the fan clutch nut loose, I split my thermostat housing whacking away at my 32mm wrench. Added bonus: my a/c works like a champ now. Before, I would have to be driving at least 30 mph for my a/c to blow cold air, now even sitting in a parking lot it gets cold. And no more ac/clutch fan lag off the line!
Excellent guys, glad you are getting additional benefits. Ribri, for you probably the aux fan was not working anyways, BUT keep track of the electric fan because maybe the controller for it might prevent it from working properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hageee View Post
Can i do the swap without removing the bumper? I've placed my new mII-bumper very carefully and i don't want to do this job again ... all the plastic-nibbles are stressed
No, the bumper has to be removed.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #59
JerzyBoy973

My Ride: 01 330ci
subbed
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #60
bernie21614

My Ride: 01 330i
Just did this to my ride but when i tested the new fan it would not come on. I checked my fuses, good, i even cleaned them up a bit just in case. checked for voltage at the plug, good. im going to replace the thermostat on my lower radiator hose and see if that fixes it. If not then i guess i will have to search the forurm and see what else i can do. Wish me luck, im really hoping its just my thermostat.
bernie21614 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aux, auxiliary, behr, bosch, bumper, clutch, damage, electric, engine, explode, fan, hood, mechanical, mount, mounts, removal, swap