E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #161
Leuk

My Ride: 325xi
Problems after swap.

Hey everyone. My mechanical shredded the cowling last week. Saw a minor fluid leak afterwards. Decided to do replacements and swap. Ordered up motor mounts, new radiator, hoses, sensors, stainless water pump, resevoir, electric fan and thermostat. The motor mounts (although original) looked like the new ones when I pulled them, just dirtier. So I got it all assembled and now I am overheating. The lower hose out of the thermostat doesn't feel as hot as I think it should. The new electric fan isn't spinning, even though I am approaching red on the stat. I tried plugging in the aux fan, and it spun a couple times, but really slow (not enough to move air.) But as it was overheating, it didn't spin at all. I got a new Behr themostat from Turnermotorsports (they had rubbed off a lot of the detail on the plastic and some numbers off the metal impelers.) I got the Bosch fan from oembimmerparts. Has anyone had any problems with these products or vendors? My original stat was fine, so I am leaning towards putting that back in to verify the issue. Thought I would reach out before I spilt more fluid. Feedback appreciated. Thanks.
Leuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #162
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
You need to bleed your cooling system of air. This is a common problem. See this thread: http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=689618
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #163
Leuk

My Ride: 325xi
Thank you.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Never would have guessed, just the BMW way. I did the bleeding and all is now well. As an FYI. I tried the tubing hose in the old bleeder cap and it made a mess (all the fluid leaked between the hose and the cap, none actually went up the tube.) I am going to wait until it dry's and put some RTV around the tube and then shove it back in. Then if I ever need it in the future, it will be ready to go.
Leuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #164
corv75

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Had a 75 degree day and after my swap last fall this is the first real test of hot weather. How long should the fan run after turning the car off? It ran for 15 mins so I unplug connector and let it sit for a min then plugged backed in and fan did not turn on. I move the car 20 feet and fan came back on and then keep running again after I turned off. Had to leave so unplugged again.
Gonna test again but wanted some ideasof how long it should run when car off. Thanks
corv75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #165
ribri02

My Ride: 01 325ci
Mine has never ran after shutting the car off. Even in 95 degree weather last summer.
ribri02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #166
Danoff

My Ride: '04 330i ZSP
Has anyone tracked their car after doing this swap?
Danoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 PM   #167
MCS02

My Ride: 323Ci
I have a 2000 323Ci. The previous owner did this swap. the car keeps over heating if I let it sit still. The fan never comes on. Is there a way to test the fan? Does this fan have a hi/low speed resistor? If so is there a way to bypass it and let the fan run on hi? I have a Mini Cooper S and on it if that resistor goes bad the fan will not work, but you can replace just the resistor. I don't thank that is the case on a BMW.
I just had the sub-frame fix so I really don't won't to spend more money if I can avoid it.
Thanks I hope someone can help
MCS02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 AM   #168
corv75

Had problem below and tested again yesterday at 72 degrees F. Drove 10 miles highway to destination and fan quit when I turned off car. Drove home 2 hours later and fan stayed on when truned off car. I put in the Behr fan is there a sensor some where that maybe going bad? help!!!!!!!!! Heat is coming and opening the hood every time to unplug is going to be anoying

Had a 75 degree day and after my swap last fall this is the first real test of hot weather. How long should the fan run after turning the car off? It ran for 15 mins so I unplug connector and let it sit for a min then plugged backed in and fan did not turn on. I move the car 20 feet and fan came back on and then keep running again after I turned off. Had to leave so unplugged again.
Gonna test again but wanted some ideasof how long it should run when car off. Thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #169
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
If it runs for more than 15 mins after the engine is off, your engine is running usually hot for some reason (watch the temp gauge when you shut it off) or something is wrong with the installation. Behr is a good unit. I wish I could help diagnose it, but if it were my car, I'd take it to a trusted mechanic and have him check it over if I could not figure it out myself.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #170
corv75

Thanks. The temp gauge is spot on center when warmed up and never goes over so don't think it's getting to hot.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 PM   #171
Sansho

My Ride: 2001 325i
The fan is turned on by the computer based on 5 factors:
  • Coolant outlet temperature, measured in the lower radiator hose
  • Calculated catalyst temperature
  • Vehicle speed
  • Battery voltage
  • Air Conditioning pressure (calculated by IHKA)

After turning the engine off, the electric fan can run at varying speeds for up to 10 minutes.

Last edited by Sansho; 03-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Sansho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #172
MCS02

My Ride: 323Ci
Hi
I disconnected the coolant outlet temp sensor on the lower radiator hose and the fan works. I am going to leave it unplugged till I can get a new one.
Thanks
MCS02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #173
Chris3Duke

I'm pretty sure this was posted, but I want to make sure. This is only for autos? Manuals already have the electric fan?
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #174
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
I'm pretty sure this was posted, but I want to make sure. This is only for autos? Manuals already have the electric fan?
Only for autos. Manuals already have the electric fan.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #175
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
Jake, I hope that you can finish your write-up when you have some free time. The videos are nice, but aren't necessary.

Coupe Front Bumper Removal - http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=40
Sedan Front Bumper Removal - http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=41

Notes from doing this last night..

- Be careful with the bumper
- The four plastic expanding rivets holding the aux fan shroud in place were impossible to remove without breaking them. I become quite good at tearing them apart. Back out the center portion using a phillips head screwdriver. Attempt proper extraction. If it doesn't budge, take a flathead to the plastic cuff so that you can grab it with a pair of pliers. I twisted the plastic cuffs until they broke, and then pushed the expanding rivets back. Have replacements handy - it'll be far quicker than getting a ziptie through the holes. Driver's side was difficult to ziptie into place with less access.

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #176
samson

My Ride: 05' 330i
Send a message via AIM to samson
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetieater View Post
- The four plastic expanding rivets holding the aux fan shroud in place were impossible to remove without breaking them.
when removing the aux fan today on my 05, those expanding rivets were actually expanding screws, and were also impossible to reuse.
samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #177
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
+1 yea getting new screws before hand is nice.

yetie, how do you like the swap?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #178
yetieater

My Ride: '03 330i
I ran without the mechanical fan for about a month, and could probably could have kept at it. The swap eliminates truck noise. I like it, but I get the feeling that there isn't a big market for items like my 100k mile fan clutch or the auxiliary fan.

bullet proof one piece at a time
my page on BMW Performance parts for the E46: clicky
yetieater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #179
goose123

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
Looking to do this as my next DIY, thanks OP for putting it up. When I search Ebay, it is showing me a Behr Aux fan, is it what I need?

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-Auxi...f7df66&vxp=mtr

goose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #180
ribri02

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose123 View Post
Looking to do this as my next DIY, thanks OP for putting it up. When I search Ebay, it is showing me a Behr Aux fan, is it what I need?

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-Auxi...f7df66&vxp=mtr
That's exactly what you need. I got the same one, from the same seller. Legit
ribri02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aux, auxiliary, behr, bosch, bumper, clutch, damage, electric, engine, explode, fan, hood, mechanical, mount, mounts, removal, swap