E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Money Matters

Money Matters
Financial, Stock, Investment etc. posts here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Do you have a portfolio manager?

I have around 25k in the market and haven't bought or sold anything in over 6 months. I've some pretty large returns when I was trading, but recently I've kind of lost interest. Some of my current positions are pretty high risk and I sometimes wonder if I should let someone else manage my account.

My grandparents and father use the same broker and they say he's great.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I basically have a third of my assets in the market and I don't know if that's too much/too little.

Thanks
sweetbro858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbro858 View Post
I have around 25k in the market and haven't bought or sold anything in over 6 months. I've some pretty large returns when I was trading, but recently I've kind of lost interest. Some of my current positions are pretty high risk and I sometimes wonder if I should let someone else manage my account.

My grandparents and father use the same broker and they say he's great.

Anyways, what do you guys think? I basically have a third of my assets in the market and I don't know if that's too much/too little.

Thanks
Sit down with a professional personal finance adviser who is certified. They may not be who you choose to manage your account (if you do decide to have someone manage it) but they can get your risk tolerance, age, and other factors to help set you on a path to properly diversify your portfolio and ensure that it is allocated properly.

Don't just go by word of mouth if you do choose to have someone manage your portfolio either. Research them thoroughly. Maddoff was a great guy and everyone of his clients said so just a few short years ago...

p.s. with the size account you have, it will likely be difficult to find someone qualified and competent who will actively manage it for you.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
sweetbro858

Good advice, thanks.

Regarding the size of the account, I don't full understand what you mean. Is it too small?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
FunPoliceSam

My Ride: 2001 325i
Yea my very minimum is $70,000k because I charge 1% of your assets. So if you invested my minimum, I would make $700.00/year. Anywhere below that is really not worth the work of active, essentially 24 hour, management. Most of the mid sized firms have $500,000 minimums. The top hedge funds have like 10 million minimum, and usually only cater to institutional clients.

I started out trading in my personal account, scored high returns and then launched my own firm. However, I trade much differently for my clients. For my own account, I shoot for the moon sometimes, but I can afford that risk.
Have any of you heard of "sloming"? Supposedly, high school students are sticking leeches to themselves in exchange for some kind of high. Since when did this become the new thing? What happened to just kicking back with a group of your close friends and smoking a joint?
FunPoliceSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
sweetbro858

1% is pretty high though right? I think my parents were paying a half or even a quarter.. could be wrong though.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Quote:
1% is pretty high though right? I think my parents were paying a half or even a quarter.. could be wrong though.
Edward Jones starts at 1.5% and goes down with an increased balance. Generally, from my current understanding, to get rates at .5% or less is generally limited to accounts of $500,000+ from most major firms.
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
FunPoliceSam

My Ride: 2001 325i
totally depends on the manager/performance. yea its high if i only get 5-6% a year, which I don't. I also like to have a set fee instead of 10-20 fee declines for increased aum.

At the end of the day, I aim for the performance bonus of 20%, makes the other base fee irrelevant. But you need to have a 1.5m net worth, or atleast $750k invested before I can charge you that performance bonus above the set high water mark.

Quote:
Have any of you heard of "sloming"? Supposedly, high school students are sticking leeches to themselves in exchange for some kind of high. Since when did this become the new thing? What happened to just kicking back with a group of your close friends and smoking a joint?

Last edited by FunPoliceSam; 06-13-2011 at 06:55 PM.
FunPoliceSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Yeah, I have one....he is me, myself, and I. I've booked profits every month since last May....up about 150% since then. Do some research and learn how to trade options.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Sit down with a professional personal finance adviser who is certified. They may not be who you choose to manage your account (if you do decide to have someone manage it) but they can get your risk tolerance, age, and other factors to help set you on a path to properly diversify your portfolio and ensure that it is allocated properly.
This is great advise. Make sure you get one who's paid completely for reviewing your finance goals, and not there to sell you other service/products.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 AM   #10
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
This is great advise. Make sure you get one who's paid completely for reviewing your finance goals, and not there to sell you other service/products.
Easier said then found...I'll never trust anyone with my investments other than myself.
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
You should definitely understand it yourself before you trust someone else.