E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Which kit?
Rogue Engineering $185 two pulleys 21 36.84%
UUC $200 two pulleys 7 12.28%
Turner $250 three pulleys 19 33.33%
Other, please specify. 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #61
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
Jake did you purchase them after all ?
Not yet. I'm thinking about getting an intake first and then get some heat resistant foil to cover my entire intake track with.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #62
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubY RubE View Post
my 2 cents, pullies will throw off the engines balance due to the harmonic balancer in the engine. from what i have studied atleast. My professor told me if your willing to change pullies then you will have to get the engine rebalanced.
if you have less than 10 posts you must not know what your talking about

buddy look up underdriving the crankshaft
Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #63
AJV

My Ride: 164 Quadrifoglio
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaviman View Post
sorry for the noob question.. but, what are the real gains os those?
Pulleys don't add real horsepower, but they do allow you to better manage it. What they effectively do is minimize the amount of engine power that accessories slave from the engine, essentially allowing the power to be applied at the wheels rather than using that power to drive accessories.

To be really basic, put a manual transmission in third gear and try to go - you accelerate slowly. Do the same in first gear and you take off, despite your engine having the same power output. With the transmission in the wrong gear, there is a huge efficiency loss between the engine and the wheels, and that's all wasted power. It's all about setting the proper ratio to allow the most power to the wheels; the same applies to pulleys.

I'd like to do this on mine, but I haven't had time or done enough research to decide on who to buy from. Good thread though!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #64
AJV

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
if you have less than 10 posts you must not know what your talking about

buddy look up underdriving the crankshaft
^ FTW
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #65
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Turner without question. Go with the guys who build race cars.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #66
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Just put Rogue Engineering pulleys on mine. All those other companies are back ordered...and they were cheaper because they don't have an alternater pulley, which is a pointless item (unless you are performing maintenance, in which case I'd go OEM.)

I also have the Stewart High performance water pump and a long tube intake...car is far and above what I expected!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #67
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
Just put Rogue Engineering pulleys on mine. All those other companies are back ordered...and they were cheaper because they don't have an alternater pulley, which is a pointless item (unless you are performing maintenance, in which case I'd go OEM.)

I also have the Stewart High performance water pump and a long tube intake...car is far and above what I expected!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
just ordered my stewart and watter wetter from tms. should be here by friday

i wanna get a dinan long tube in with a 3.38 and a aa tune and i should be happy for a while
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #68
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Not yet. I'm thinking about getting an intake first and then get some heat resistant foil to cover my entire intake track with.
Good choice. One word = Dynamat...... (not srs, but I got some if you need it )

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #69
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Heat resistant tape!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #70
mbomb3

My Ride: 328
Why does it matter if the car is a m or not. There shouldn't be a difference. If it doesn't work for non-m why would it work for a m?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #71
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
If any one question"s what TMS power pulleys will do feel free to call them Its a 1 800 number ,Theyll be glad to assist you with there facts and knowledge !

AJV Youre more then partially right , Power pulleys will assist you Reduce loss of drag and add more HP and Tourque Its a simple as that , For those who seem to differ let me ask you this , Its known that splitters and wings help the areo dynamics and etc of a car right ! Whould wouldnt power pulleys not play a role when they reduce drag ?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #72
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
AJV Youre more then partially right , Power pulleys will assist you Reduce loss of drag and add more HP and Tourque Its a simple as that , For those who seem to differ let me ask you this , Its known that splitters and wings help the areo dynamics and etc of a car right ! Whould wouldnt power pulleys not play a role when they reduce drag ?
these don't reduce drag from wind resistance. these reduce drag from the pulleys on the belt then from the engine having to move them. they do less revolutions because the pulleys are larger. they don't "add" hp or tq as described. they free up parasitic losses from having to drive the belt. now how much is lost on a particular engine and how much can be "freed up" varies. on the E46 non-M very very little.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #73
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbomb3 View Post
Why does it matter if the car is a m or not. There shouldn't be a difference. If it doesn't work for non-m why would it work for a m?
This works on freeing up lost power from driving the belt accessories per revolution. Since the M3 has a much higher redline and power band in the higher range it can take advantage of this.
While an engine that redlines and ends 2K rpm before doesn't is the reasoning.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #74
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubY RubE View Post
my 2 cents, pullies will throw off the engines balance due to the harmonic balancer in the engine. from what i have studied atleast. My professor told me if your willing to change pullies then you will have to get the engine rebalanced.
that is only on kits that do the harmonic balancer. these kits don't do that, they are pulleys on the auxiliary components like the waterpump and power steering (sometimes alternator)

*but yes, if you mess with the harmonic balancer you're in for trouble
Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #75
323I00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
these don't reduce drag from wind resistance. these reduce drag from the pulleys on the belt then from the engine having to move them. they do less revolutions because the pulleys are larger. they don't "add" hp or tq as described. they free up parasitic losses from having to drive the belt. now how much is lost on a particular engine and how much can be "freed up" varies. on the E46 non-M very very little.
Buddy , Its exactly what I said , I never mentioned that they reduce drag from wind resistance, What I said was "Power pulleys will assist you Reduce loss of drag and add more HP and Tourque "In theory , That youll gain that lost HP and Tourque from the loss of drag !

Do you own a set of pulleys ?To justify that on the E46 non-M very very little ?

From what I understand this will be effective at 5 k rpm"s !

On going debate ..Like I said If any one has Installed them and has an actuall dyno on them showing me no gains at all then Ill shut my mouth untill then I stand bye TMS and there product!

Last edited by 323I00; 06-14-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #76
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Buddy , Its exactly what I said , I never mentioned that they reduce drag from wind resistance, What I said was "Power pulleys will assist you Reduce loss of drag and add more HP and Tourque "In theory , That youll gain that lost HP and Tourque from the loss of drag !

Do you own a set of pulleys ?To justify that on the E46 non-M very very little ?

From what I understand this will be effective at 5 k rpm"s !
Yes I have a set installed for years, even listed in my sig. Do you?

And no that example and what you said are not the same.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #77
323I00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Yes I have a set installed for years, even listed in my sig. Do you?

And no that example and what you said are not the same.
Buddy hate to break It to you but Im not talking Indian or pakistanian , Its pure english no diffrent then youres !

I simply wrote "Power pulleys will assist you Reduce loss of drag and add more HP and Tourque Its a simple as that " "Why wouldnt power pulleys not play a role when they reduce drag "

What does that mean ^ , seeing Its not clear enough 4 u , Power pulleys will give you the loss HP and Tourque that It produces from less drag time traveled with the oem pulleys.

Last edited by 323I00; 06-14-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #78
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Quote:
Buddy hate to break It to you but Im not talking Indian or pakistanian , Its pure english no diffrent then youres !

I simply wrote "Power pulleys will assist you Reduce loss of drag and add more HP and Tourque Its a simple as that " "Why wouldnt power pulleys not play a role when they reduce drag "

What does that mean ^ , seeing Its not clear enough 4 u , Power pulleys will give you the loss HP and Tourque that It produces from less drag time traveled with the oem pulleys.
We're not your buddies, guy. The way you are describing it makes it sound like horsepower is gained at the crank. Please realize the difference between HP and RWHP.

That being said, My M52tub28 is not stock by any stretch...and after this last set of mods I am pretty sure I'm approaching 19X RWHP and that is w/o headers. There is a definite feel with the pulleys and the Stewart pump. And sure I could have gone with OEM, but it's much more fun to blow by 330s and point to the stinger

Jake, I'm not sure how this would affect an auto...but if you want to you should go with RE, they came to my door for $202.xx in 3 days. Install was easy cause I was replacing my belts, pulleys, tensioners and cooling system. And since you have the electric fan, it will be much quicker Good luck!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #79
AJV

Ungh... You can call it drag or whatever you wish... You get nothing at the crank, NOTHING. All pulleys do is decrease the speed at which accessories are spinning to their lower operating limits. There is a factor of safety designed into car systems, and one of those safety factors is spinning accessories faster than absolutely necessary. By lowering the speed at which they spin, they aren't drawing as much power/energy/whatever you want to call it from the engine. As a result, the saved power can be directed to the rear wheels (and transfer case/front wheels for you XI people).

The amount of WHP you will gain (or lose) depends on lots of factors:
- What was the factor of safety on the stock pulley setup?
- How much friction was present in the stock setup and how much is present in the aftermarket setup?
- How loose/tight is the belt? Yes, the tension of a belt has considerable implications on how much power something draws - I design heavy equipment that is often belt driven, so I know what I'm talking about.

There's lots of theory behind pulley setups, intake systems, exhausts, etc. The magnitude of improvement (if any) is dependent on the original design, which BMW is often quite good at.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:22 AM   #80
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
We're not your buddies, guy. The way you are describing it makes it sound like horsepower is gained at the crank. Please realize the difference between HP and RWHP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJV View Post
Ungh... You can call it drag or whatever you wish... You get nothing at the crank, NOTHING. All pulleys do is decrease the speed at which accessories are spinning to their lower operating limits. There is a factor of safety designed into car systems, and one of those safety factors is spinning accessories faster than absolutely necessary. By lowering the speed at which they spin, they aren't drawing as much power/energy/whatever you want to call it from the engine. As a result, the saved power can be directed to the rear wheels.

The amount of WHP you will gain (or lose) depends on lots of factors:
- What was the factor of safety on the stock pulley setup?
- How much friction was present in the stock setup and how much is present in the aftermarket setup?
- How loose/tight is the belt? Yes, the tension of a belt has considerable implications on how much power something draws - I design heavy equipment that is often belt driven, so I know what I'm talking about.

There's lots of theory behind pulley setups, intake systems, exhausts, etc. The magnitude of improvement (if any) is dependent on the original design, which BMW is often quite good at.
Thanks guys, he just wasn't catching on. He's quiet now so maybe he's seen the light.
Quote:
well hate to break it to you Buddy, but actually you are not talking/writing english..."diffrent", "then", "youres"???

back to topic, you didn't answer the question I answered for you. Do you have these "power pulleys" installed on your car?
Closed Thread